Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2013, 08:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
AMD does have one really big thing going for it, which maybe will fuel some future development.
They are in every console being released. That's gotta be a huge cash infusion.

-ST
Which, in turn will (hopefully and finally) driver software dev's to optimize and develop for greater number of CPU cores.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

speaking of multi-core optimizations. I was reading something not too long ago about a new hardware instruction set, that from my understanding is intended specifically to aid multi-core optimizations. My understanding from reading about it is that one of the current issue's hindering multi-core performance is that some legacy programs, due to either the codebase they are built on or other factors, what will happen is that they can lock an entire core for a single application which in turn causes resources to go unused because other applications can't jump in due to the core being locked.

I forget what it was called, and maybe I misunderstood, but if that is indeed an issue, I wonder how much potential in so many of our machines is going unused?
Old August 19, 2013, 04:35 AM
Banned

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD...ath,23809.html

The fact that AMD did not deny this was the last "big CPU" says a lot. Saying you're not leaving the high end CPU market isn't exactly giving specs on upcoming products.

Not like there's any need to be cagey on the topic, anyone believe intel would take whatever they said and run with it?

At intel board meeting: "The guys with 15% of our primary market are moving away from big cpus, we'd better follow suit".
Old August 24, 2013, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

And this is why im really concerned about cpus in the future. My upgrade cycle is coming up next year for CPU/mobo/ram and if things stay as they are I'm looking at delaying it another year. As it stands now Haswell only improved on power consumption, which I admit will be great for the Surface Mk2, but is nearly useless in terms of my PC. And now there is talk of Intel soldering their CPUs into motherboards so I was really really cheering for AMD to pull one out of the bag that was at least comparable to Intel's offerings if not quite as good.

And if Intel thinks they can charge more because they are the exclusive high end they will, dont bullshit yourself thinking that they are limited by what people think they are willing to pay, Titan proved that a company can charge whatever it wants and still make a shitton of money. Its supply and demand, they have the only supply and there is a demand so prices will go up if its only Intel.
Old August 24, 2013, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
And this is why im really concerned about cpus in the future. My upgrade cycle is coming up next year for CPU/mobo/ram and if things stay as they are I'm looking at delaying it another year. As it stands now Haswell only improved on power consumption, which I admit will be great for the Surface Mk2, but is nearly useless in terms of my PC. And now there is talk of Intel soldering their CPUs into motherboards so I was really really cheering for AMD to pull one out of the bag that was at least comparable to Intel's offerings if not quite as good.

And if Intel thinks they can charge more because they are the exclusive high end they will, dont bullshit yourself thinking that they are limited by what people think they are willing to pay, Titan proved that a company can charge whatever it wants and still make a shitton of money. Its supply and demand, they have the only supply and there is a demand so prices will go up if its only Intel.
Yes it's supply and demand, but for gaming anyway, there are options. You don't "have" to game on a PC- you can use a console, phone, portable console, etc.. (not to mention all the PCs in existence already)

Prices on high end cpus "may" go up when AMD stops making "high end" cpus- but intel still has to sell products to keep their doors open.

While NVIDIA sold a bunch of Titans, they couldn't stay in business selling Titans.

intel has to sell you cpus every few years at prices you can afford , and they have to give you reasons to buy.
Old September 21, 2013, 12:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Updated: Why it's a big deal AMD is delaying Kaveri - VR-Zone

Apparently the ill fated 9590 is their last intel competitor and stab at the high end.
How is the 9590 ill fated? It was intended to be sold to a very small niche of enthusiasts. No one expected it to be a high volume product. AMD has a R&D budget of less then 10% of Intel. They do very well despite this. They are moving in the right direction. They are making very good products that are more than competitive in certain price ranges. No one denies Intel is in a league of its own. No one outside of AMD knows what the product road map is. I bet that they will be releasing some compelling products in the near future whether they are AM3+, FM2+, or APU's or CPU's.
Old September 22, 2013, 05:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacsys View Post
How is the 9590 ill fated? It was intended to be sold to a very small niche of enthusiasts. No one expected it to be a high volume product. AMD has a R&D budget of less then 10% of Intel. They do very well despite this. They are moving in the right direction. They are making very good products that are more than competitive in certain price ranges. No one denies Intel is in a league of its own. No one outside of AMD knows what the product road map is. I bet that they will be releasing some compelling products in the near future whether they are AM3+, FM2+, or APU's or CPU's.
There is the problem for the FX-9590 in a nutshell. (and any distant second comnpetitor)

Money buys the best/most engineers, coders, players, etc..

I agree with you that AMD does very well given their constraints but that doesn't mean I (or anyone) should buy their products if they're not competitive at the metrics the buyer deems relevant.

And the 9590/8350 failed at price/performance, performance, and power/performance. (these are three pretty big metrics)
Old September 24, 2013, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
There is the problem for the FX-9590 in a nutshell. (and any distant second comnpetitor)

Money buys the best/most engineers, coders, players, etc..

I agree with you that AMD does very well given their constraints but that doesn't mean I (or anyone) should buy their products if they're not competitive at the metrics the buyer deems relevant.

And the 9590/8350 failed at price/performance, performance, and power/performance. (these are three pretty big metrics)
This is particularily relevant considering it would appear the problem with Bulldozer/Steamroller/anything AMD is not core design, or architecture, but rather problems with cache speed, memory controllers, and other "labour intensive" aspects of the designs. The module design idea could be excellent, but without the engineer manpower to refine and work on cache speed or memory controller nuances it leaves AMD at a large disadvantage.

Add onto this additional problems like AMD's gigantic process disadvantage and the debatable advantage that ICC gives Intel across an unknown range of applications and it seems like AMD have a pit which may be too deep to crawl out of.
Old September 24, 2013, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would read this as AMD to still challenge on mainstream budget and mobile market.. SB-E and IB-E are on their own.
Maybe they just aren't gonna throw more cores at this situation anymore?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 1, 2013, 06:40 PM
Rookie

Toms hardware is hosting a chat with AMD on nov 6th mabey that will shed some light on this