Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2013, 11:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Motherboard for FX8120?

It appears I'll be able to purchase an 8120 from a forum member to upgrade my aging BE-2350 based linux box.

My use case are:
Web host (Nginx/SQL)
Media host (flexraid raid-f across a shit ton of drives with some spare adaptec sata cards)
VM using Virtualbox as a service
Additional services as needed
no overclocking

I'm leaning towards a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 for the price at CC or perhaps an Asrock 970 board as they're both cheap.

Am I good to go with either? Any warranty considerations I should know about?

Lsv
12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz
Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2
1x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
Seasonic X-660
Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm
Old July 30, 2013, 02:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I keeping seeing Asrock mentioned as a good brand lately...I still won't touch them, after knowing them as being a bottom of the barrel brand I just can't bring myself around

Gigabyte has never been one of my first choices either, however, I do have a Gigabyte G41MT-D3 in my music production system, and although being a pretty low end board, I'm surprised it's lasted me 3 years so far without issue, so in my mind, gigabyte's cheaper boards are quite decent

I did look up the gigabyte board you mentioned, and from what I see, it's got solid state caps which is probably a good sign. it has room for 4 dimms if you wanted to load up more ram. the heatsinks look a decent size though nothing special. I wouldn't expect to run a Crossfire setup with the second full size PCI-e running at only 4X though. The only real complaint I have about it is the clear marking of through-holes to mount a heatsink on the mosfets, but no heatsink, so I wouldn't expect any extreme overclocking out of it, but if that's not a concern, it looks like a decent standard board to just run a system and although I gripe about the lack of mosfet cooling, I've noticed on several newer boards that the mosfets often barely get warm to the touch depending on the IC's used on the board anyway, so that may just be my picky nature.
Old July 30, 2013, 04:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply! I don't believe this will ever be overclocked and the case will be a Rosewill RSV-R4000. Cooling should be good using either the Gigabyte or the Asrock. I'll probably just end up going Gigabyte as it's slightly cheaper. I'm also not worried about the video card as it'll just have a PCI video card in there for emergencies. I'll be sshing into the box as required.

Lsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis1 View Post
I keeping seeing Asrock mentioned as a good brand lately...I still won't touch them, after knowing them as being a bottom of the barrel brand I just can't bring myself around

Gigabyte has never been one of my first choices either, however, I do have a Gigabyte G41MT-D3 in my music production system, and although being a pretty low end board, I'm surprised it's lasted me 3 years so far without issue, so in my mind, gigabyte's cheaper boards are quite decent

I did look up the gigabyte board you mentioned, and from what I see, it's got solid state caps which is probably a good sign. it has room for 4 dimms if you wanted to load up more ram. the heatsinks look a decent size though nothing special. I wouldn't expect to run a Crossfire setup with the second full size PCI-e running at only 4X though. The only real complaint I have about it is the clear marking of through-holes to mount a heatsink on the mosfets, but no heatsink, so I wouldn't expect any extreme overclocking out of it, but if that's not a concern, it looks like a decent standard board to just run a system and although I gripe about the lack of mosfet cooling, I've noticed on several newer boards that the mosfets often barely get warm to the touch depending on the IC's used on the board anyway, so that may just be my picky nature.
12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz
Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2
1x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
Seasonic X-660
Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm
Old July 30, 2013, 06:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ah, i should have read your post a little better then. if it's a nix server then the pci-e limitations for running dual cards are completely redundant. The gigabyte will be just fine for what it has to offer and what you need out of it