Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2013, 05:47 PM
MVP

I don't know what to say... Other than... Fail?!

rfd

hofo
Old August 19, 2013, 09:50 PM
Rookie

WOW that's an insane chip - I missed the $400 sale damn.. Waiting for next bargain on this as it will crush everything in Video encoding, in games it is equal (3-5fps difference) vs Intel's best.

PS Want to see some benches on Folding and a few other latest games. I bet the latest games will all favor AMD, but then the difference wont be felt just as you wont with Intel high end chips over AMD FX9590

Last edited by nvidiots; August 19, 2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: PS
Old August 21, 2013, 05:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiots View Post
WOW that's an insane chip - I missed the $400 sale damn.. Waiting for next bargain on this as it will crush everything in Video encoding, in games it is equal (3-5fps difference) vs Intel's best.

PS Want to see some benches on Folding and a few other latest games. I bet the latest games will all favor AMD, but then the difference wont be felt just as you wont with Intel high end chips over AMD FX9590
Yes in the glorious future IPC will no longer matter as every game will be coded to 100% utilization of 8 threads because the tasks CPUs perform at gaming lend themselves so well to parallel processing!

There is NEVER anything like problems with work performed being dependent on user input resulting in idle threads, much greater developing cost and complexity to make highly threaded apps.

Yep, devs are just going to ignore the 85% installed user base of intel CPUs and make them all obsolete and code for AMD only now.

People have really "jumped the shark" with all this "AMD has all the consoles! They Win!" nonsense.

Going to laugh hard in a year when for reasons given above we see why you will still want to have an intel cpu. AMDs little furnaces are just old tech, with inferior IPC.
Old August 21, 2013, 06:48 AM
Top Prospect

I'm definitely late to this thread but it was pretty fun to read through and see everyone argue the only way computer enthusiasts know how. Yet, I was a little surprised no one replied to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Isn't this similar to the spaceheater P4s that were released at the end of their life cycle? Seems to me folks bought those up as well. :)
Is it really that long ago that Intel was getting thrashed around by AMD like *insert boxing/UFC reference here, I'm thinking Silva vs Sonnen pt. 1 for whoever gets that*. The Pentium Extreme Editions performed worse than the Athlon 64 FXs, were released well after the AMD chips were established, and the 965 cost... get ready... over $1000. Back in 2006. So when everybody's whining gets placed in context (and adjusted for inflation ) it starts to look very silly.
Quote:
But if you absolutely must spend $1000+ on a CPU today, what should you do? While the 965 has become a lot more competitive with the FX-60, our overall nod still goes to AMD. The 965 does have its strengths in 3dsmax and video encoding, so if those are areas in which you are partcularly looking for stellar performance, then the recommendation obviously swings to Intel.
AnandTech | Intel's Pentium Extreme Edition 965: The Last of a Dying Breed

But what happened right at the end (just like in Silva vs Sonnen)? Conroe started shipping and the day was saved. Now we wait to see just how interesting AMD's Kaveri will be, and if AMD will ever find a way to match Intel's current single-thread performance.
Old August 21, 2013, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsupport View Post

Is it really that long ago that Intel was getting thrashed around by AMD like *insert boxing/UFC reference here, .
Yes.

It "really was that long ago".

If all AMD can point to is seven years ago, God help them, because in the tech industry businesses come and go in stretches of time that long.

And AMD has been on the longest surviving losing streak I have ever seen.
Old August 23, 2013, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Yes.

It "really was that long ago".

If all AMD can point to is seven years ago, God help them, because in the tech industry businesses come and go in stretches of time that long.

And AMD has been on the longest surviving losing streak I have ever seen.
Just like you continue to miss the point of the FX-9590, you have also missed deathsupport's point. He was attempting to point out that at the end of a product's lifecycle, throwing what's left at the wall with a grand "Take that!" is not without precedence.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old September 11, 2013, 10:33 PM
Allstar

Hmmm I see NCIX is selling it with Crosshair V Formula Z and H100 combo for $680 before tax (sold out already). So the chip seem to have drop to about $400 or so? Fair price or still a bit too expensive?
Old September 12, 2013, 04:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Hmmm I see NCIX is selling it with Crosshair V Formula Z and H100 combo for $680 before tax (sold out already). So the chip seem to have drop to about $400 or so? Fair price or still a bit too expensive?
Given that you can buy a 4770K that stomps it on pretty much everything for $340 shipped at newegg, and that the Haswell uses a ton less power, has a ton more OCing headroom, vastly superior single core performance, I'd say the 9590 is still an "AMD fans only" proposition.

But, at $400 at least you wouldn't feel like you just got mugged like the guys who paid $800..

For gaming the review here shows 9590 even behind $200 intel cpus like the 2500K and 3570k:

AMD FX-9590 Review; Piledriver at 5GHz
Old September 12, 2013, 05:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Given that you can buy a 4770K that stomps it on pretty much everything for $340 shipped at newegg, and that the Haswell uses a ton less power, has a ton more OCing headroom, vastly superior single core performance, I'd say the 9590 is still an "AMD fans only" proposition.

But, at $400 at least you wouldn't feel like you just got mugged like the guys who paid $800..

For gaming the review here shows 9590 even behind $200 intel cpus like the 2500K and 3570k:

AMD FX-9590 Review; Piledriver at 5GHz

That's missing the point though.... at $800 it wasn't a viable option for anybody but the most rabid AMD fan, but @ $400 it might be attractive to somebody who's already got the platform and can just drop it in place after a bios update.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 12, 2013, 05:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That's missing the point though.... at $800 it wasn't a viable option for anybody but the most rabid AMD fan, but @ $400 it might be attractive to somebody who's already got the platform and can just drop it in place after a bios update.
Ditto, that actually was not a half bad deal the Crosshair board is awesome and the Corsair cooler is nice, 8 cores at 5ghz is good to use as a living room gamer or friggen any gamer it would do just fine:)
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”