Old July 18, 2013, 08:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Errrrr...if we're going to use cars for the analogy, I'm thinking this:

Top Gear AMC Pacer - YouTube

This is not "what can be done with current tech". The 4770K is what can be done with current tech- more performance with less power, more advanced silicon.

If you think it's "fun" to throw away $500-$600, throw it my way.

I posted AMD should do this long before there was rumor of it, but what I thought they should do is bin some 8350s, include a closed loop cooler, and sell it for $350 pre-OCd.

What they did is a kick in the crotch to the people foolish enough to buy this for $820..
From my experiences with the 4770K, it's been underwhelming in my non-pragmatic enthusiast eyes. The i7 2600K and 2700K and 3770K were far better enthusiast silicon especially when overclocked.

My de-lidded 3770K on a Maximus V Gene at 4.8 Ghz and 1.27 volts uses 155 watts at full load. My (de-lidded) 4770K at 4.4 Ghz at 1.376 volts used 230 on a Tuf Gryphon Z87,

Even my "good" 4770K is using 195 watts at full load at 4.4 Ghz at 1.2 V. I realize my 3770K is probably an upper-echelon chip as it can do this at temps below 70 celsius at good, relatively low volts, but what I didn't mention is that it takes a good, very clean double coollaboratories liquid ultra mount to get 4.4Ghz at 1.376 volts while keeping the 4770K under 95 celsius. This was tested on Prime95 v2.79 at highest load.

So the FX-9590 using 248 watts is not that big a deal. Why? Because in this review it's on a board with a discrete GTX 670 while my tests were done withOUT GPU.

What this is, is a halo product that is basically pre-overclocked, and guaranteed to provide this level of performance under a warranteed, out-of-box experience. The FX-9370 is the "mass market" version, and it is definitely the chip I'd be interested in.

So if anyone feels like they've been kicked in their full bag of almonds, it's probably me. And no, I don't hate Intel because it was my choice to buy this thing and I realize OC is no guarantee.

My only dis-like is that I think they sent better silicon to reviewers than they did to consumers.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Last edited by 10e; July 18, 2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added some more BS
Old July 18, 2013, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'm trying to understand some people's comments here.

Would you have preferred if AMD didn't release this at all? What would that have accomplished exactly?

They had some ultra high leakage chips that didn't fit into the FX-8350's stated TDP envelope so they needed to use them for something constructive. This is it.

So what if it is hot and consumes a ton of power. Between the options of this and NOTHING, I'd pick the FX-9590 and you guys should too.
No.. I would have preferred it if they had kept some sensible pricing over it. it's beaten by but costs more than a 3930k and board...

As I said in first comment, I agree it's good they released a halo product.. but that doesn't make the product any better.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 18, 2013, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
No.. I would have preferred it if they had kept some sensible pricing over it. it's beaten by but costs more than a 3930k and board...

As I said in first comment, I agree it's good they released a halo product.. but that doesn't make the product any better.
Nobody is arguing that the product is good, or even that it's a good choice, it's just good news that they released it at least, and that it's better to say "not quite, but good try AMD" rather than "AMD is the worst company in the history of PC parts"
Old July 18, 2013, 10:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think people are making the mistake of comparing the price to Intel's mainstream Haswell pricing rather than their SB-E enthusiast prices. The Extreme Edition 3970X is $1049 at Newegg and the 3930K is $575. Suddenly $799 and $375 don't seem too bad, right?

To be frank, Intel and AMD probably sell most of their highest priced CPU's to the "highest speed at any cost" gamer rather than the performance per watt or per dollar crowd.
Old July 18, 2013, 10:10 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
This is a FAST chip, but some people just refuse to see that, and instead decide to focus entirely on price and power consumption.
LOL. The thing can't beat a core i5 at anything other than synthetic benchmarks. It is NOT a fast chip.

Quote:
Would you have preferred if AMD didn't release this at all? What would that have accomplished exactly?
What did it accomplish? Other than prove that clock for clock AMD is currently way behind in performance/power.

Quote:
So what if it is hot and consumes a ton of power. Between the options of this and NOTHING, I'd pick the FX-9590 and you guys should too.
Are you kidding me? This is a review site is it not?

"So what if it is hot and consumes a ton of power." - said no hardware review site in it's right mind ever.

"Between the options of this and NOTHING, I'd pick the FX-9590 and you guys should too." So now you have to compare it to nothing to get a favorable result?
Your review shows this chip is seriously lacking on every front. Price, performance, power and heat. There's not even any fun for enthusiasts, the thing is already clocked to the max.

What did you do to get your hands on this Sky? Your review was good but these comments make me wonder.
Old July 18, 2013, 10:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
LOL. The thing can't beat a core i5 at anything other than synthetic benchmarks. It is NOT a fast chip.

What did it accomplish? Other than prove that clock for clock AMD is currently way behind in performance/power.

"So what if it is hot and consumes a ton of power." - said no hardware review site in it's right mind ever.

"Between the options of this and NOTHING, I'd pick the FX-9590 and you guys should too." So now you have to compare it to nothing to get a favorable result?
Your review shows this chip is seriously lacking on every front. Price, performance, power and heat. There's not even any fun for enthusiasts, the thing is already clocked to the max.

What did you do to get your hands on this Sky? Your review was good but these comments make me wonder.
I think what it comes down to Squeetard, is not the fact that there is no practical purpose for this, rather that it was done.
There are not a lot of practical reasons for some of the more eccentric devices we have (iToilet anyone?), but they are made anyway. I think what you are seeing is the enthusiast side and the love for hardware coming out. Its not because its the best, because it isn't. It is more a matter of , someone broke a landmark for a production CPU.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 18, 2013, 11:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post

I think you are completely taking this product out of context. If this was a NEW architecture and had accordingly high expectations, I'd come down on it like a ton of bricks.

But this isn't a new architecture, nor is it billed as efficient. It is a niche product built for a particular consumer niche with products that wouldn't normally be used. This is AMD pushing their chip to the highest point possible and releasing a component that would normally be completely ignored if the tree huggers had anything to do with it.

This goes for all enthusiast components too.

The perf per watt of a GTX TITAN is in the shitter compared to a GTX 760

The same can be said about the 3960X when placed against an i7 4770K. Think IVB-E will be any better? Hell no.

If power consumption and efficiency were the only things dictating CPU engineering, you would have to kiss the enthusiast component market goodbye. This is about pushing the limits.

I'd have a serious problem with these new processors if AMD said "that's it, we're done" but they're not. While these are being released, work on Steamroller is proceeding apace, as is Excavator. The FX-9590 is a last hurrah for Piledriver and I think it is a fitting send-off.
Old July 18, 2013, 12:46 PM
Allstar

Quote:

They had some ultra high leakage chips that didn't fit into the FX-8350's stated TDP envelope so they needed to use them for something constructive. This is it.

I don't have a problem with the product, I have a problem with the price to performance. Its not a $800 chip. If they sold it for 4-450 I could see a market for it. This is no Titan GPU, its not redefining anything, nor is it a technological jump in any way other then better binning. I don't know where they are in their roadmap but I would more likely impressed and willing to pay for a small run of their next gen stuff trying to push the envelope with that. That in my opinion is throwing caution to the wind and showing what a company can throw at an extreme product.
Old July 18, 2013, 12:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

So the target market for this is the 1% of the enthusiast population that competes in hwbot rankings that wants something new to LN2 bench for hwbot points? Yeah great AMD is "trying" but who in their right mind is going to drop $800 on something like this? It is a bit a of joke really.
Old July 18, 2013, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

The reason I'm making these comments is because AMD is selling some $200 chips that are OCd to perform closer to intel's $300 chips for $800+ dollars.

The heat and power are secondary, but still undesirable as the performance does not justify the power/heat.

A good analogy might be:

If Campbells sells cans of chicken noodle soup for $2. with 20 chunks of chicken in them, and Progresso sells cans with 30 chunks for $3., soup buyers aren't going to start doing hand springs down the store aisles if Campbells starts selling chicken soup ultra with 28 chunks for $8. and forces you to buy a new bowl to eat it.