Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2013, 02:37 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
AMD hating seems to be par for the course for a few members here. This is a FAST chip, but some people just refuse to see that, and instead decide to focus entirely on price and power consumption.
I don't think people hate AMD but more like it's irrational to buy it. It's simply 5.0 GHz bragging right and there will be a bunch of buyers that want that bragging right. Why else would you buy a chip that cost double but perform worst than an Intel offering? Comparing CPU to car is a bit of a mismatch because no one see your CPU on the street and for sure it doesn't attract Gold Diggers. A CPU is there to compute and it's simple as that. Why should people ignore the fact that this chip in question compute worst at a higher MSRP?

I originally thought the chip will be only available in a full build system. Now how soon can we expect the FX-9370, FX-9350 comparison review?
Old July 17, 2013, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
AMD hating seems to be par for the course for a few members here. This is a FAST chip, but some people just refuse to see that, and instead decide to focus entirely on price and power consumption.
Why would anyone hate AMD the company?

Personally I hate on this chip, and the only reason I hate on it is it costs $800+ and it's not as fast as $300 chips.

Now if it was an $800 chip that was 10% faster at gaming, I'd be supporting it.

What AMD supporters can't seem to comprehend is that AMD can't just put out a chip that is fast FOR AMD and price it like a premium product, they need to put out a chip that is fast FOR THE MARKET to price it like a premium product.

The power and heat is just insult to injury.
Old July 17, 2013, 05:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It beat the i73960x in CPU Hash Benchmark, 3dmark11 performance, dirt3 1080p, and scores pretty damn high, comparing to the 3960, in many of the benchmarks.

It beats the i74770k in farcry and is pretty even with it in other dx11 titles. Are we supposed to fixate on skyrim's score again and again? When will DX9 become meaningless? What happened to bf3 benchmark ( I know, u say it's old, but I LOVE BF3!).

Considering that you can stick a processor from 2009 through 2013 in my amd mobo, that fact alone makes AMD a fun platform for enthusiasts.

The raw cpu hash score might actually make this the king for cluster computations.
Old July 17, 2013, 09:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I saw people complain about the movie "Drive", saying that there wasn't enough action in it or that it was boring because the main actor didn't speak much. Sometimes people need to take a step back and throw their common expectations out the window. Some things aren't meant to fit into a specific category, rather they create their own.
Old July 17, 2013, 10:42 PM
MVP

OVERPRICED AND OVER HOT.

END OF DISCUSSION.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
GPU's ("xfire"2x XFX290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
|8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2
Old July 18, 2013, 01:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I don't see it as AMD hate... I see it as AMD doing something stupid.
8350 can match this (silicon lottery willing) and costs a fraction of the money.

It's not that it's a bad chip.. It's that it's the same chip with a factory OC that they are trying to charge an obscene amount of money for.

Will this at stock match(it's up and down depending on the bench) an i7 4770k or even a 3930k? yes.. but then they have huge overclocking head-room whereas this doesn't.

Would love to see max stable oc of this and 3930k (5.2 or whatever) and then see how it does.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 18, 2013, 04:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I don't see it as AMD hate... I see it as AMD doing something stupid.
8350 can match this (silicon lottery willing) and costs a fraction of the money.

It's not that it's a bad chip.. It's that it's the same chip with a factory OC that they are trying to charge an obscene amount of money for.

Will this at stock match(it's up and down depending on the bench) an i7 4770k or even a 3930k? yes.. but then they have huge overclocking head-room whereas this doesn't.

Would love to see max stable oc of this and 3930k (5.2 or whatever) and then see how it does.
That's what is sad about it.

It's a chip flogged within an inch of it's life and when you look at the gaming benches a bone stock $300 intel chip pretty much across the board at gaming while using 137 less watts.

People are supposed to pay $500 more for less performance and a ton more heat in their case?

Even the "keep your old motherboard" argument doesn't apply:
Quote:
we’re told that many boards can’t consistently supply the massive amount of input power required by these new processors.
I can't imagine the thought process that brings a person to "I'm gonna buy a $1000 mobo/cpu combo that gets p3wned at gaming by $500 combos!".
Old July 18, 2013, 05:59 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm trying to understand some people's comments here.

Would you have preferred if AMD didn't release this at all? What would that have accomplished exactly?

They had some ultra high leakage chips that didn't fit into the FX-8350's stated TDP envelope so they needed to use them for something constructive. This is it.

So what if it is hot and consumes a ton of power. Between the options of this and NOTHING, I'd pick the FX-9590 and you guys should too.
Old July 18, 2013, 06:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

Would you have preferred if AMD didn't release this at all? What would that have accomplished exactly?

They had some ultra high leakage chips that didn't fit into the FX-8350's stated TDP envelope so they needed to use them for something constructive. This is it.

So what if it is hot and consumes a ton of power. Between the options of this and NOTHING, I'd pick the FX-9590 and you guys should too.
Sky you need do do a giveaway on one of these bad boys :P though I would never buy one I would build a rig around a free one haha.

AMD looks like they are just having fun with their products and I don't give a damn what either side of the table says, having fun is the only thing that is important in our industry anymore.

Looking forward to the next line of AMD APU's over even their GPU's and AM3/AM4 lines cuz the APU is a hell of a lot of fun to mess around with and has way more bang for your buck then you would believe.

Great review Sky it loads up find now it was a good read keep up the great work
Old July 18, 2013, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa seba View Post
I saw people complain about the movie "Drive", saying that there wasn't enough action in it or that it was boring because the main actor didn't speak much. Sometimes people need to take a step back and throw their common expectations out the window. Some things aren't meant to fit into a specific category, rather they create their own.
I complain about Drive because it lacks character development or any kind of comment on the human condition/human nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

Got any LN2? If not, find someone who does and let's see what it can do!