Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2013, 07:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
What do you have against Bugatti?

This GPU is a total joke for gamers, and at $820, it's a joke on the level of scratching off one of those fake lottery tickets on nationwide tv.

If it offered higher performance for it's $820 the ginormous power consumption might be overlooked, but $200-$300 intel cpus across multiple generations are beating it.

Would have been a good idea at $350, at $820 buyers are basically saying "I love AMD to the extent I'm willing to give them $500 as a donation.".
I have nothing against Bugatti, I'm making a point about their business ordeal.

The Bugatti leg of the VW group NEVER turns a profit. The cars cost equal or more to make than what they sell them for. The only reason the Veyron is made is to show what can be done with current technology.

And that is exactly what AMD has done with this processor. They are pushing the limits of their current technology to show what they can do. It may not be the best processor out there (same goes with the Veyron and cars), but it shows just what they can do right now.
Old July 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Nice review

I didn't have any issues loading it in Chrome, but I don't employ ad blockers.

Nice, in-depth review, SKY. I like your conclusion because you stuck to your enthusiast leanings.

It is definitely a competitive CPU out of the box, and after my disappointment in Haswell, would take this direction as it is also a great Virtual Machine cpu. I'd pair it with some speedy RAM and see what that would bring performance-wise.

Your TOC entries 15 and 16 in the index drop down read 4770K versus FX-9350 though.

I'm seeing the FX-9370 en masse over at NCIX for $350.00, which seems to be a real sweet spot for what seems to be a pretty decent CPU before overclocking. Up and down versus Haswell in performance for a similar price.

The 9590 is a halo tech-demo product for those water cooling nutjobs that buy multiple syringes of coollaboratories liquid ultra like junkies. But for me the asking price of north of $700.00 is too extreme. I fall into this category lately (component, WC and CLU junkie) but it's the FX-9370 that's definitely on my radar.

My only dislike of the 990FX platform out there is I could never find an M-ATX board with this chipset, but that's a small issue.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old July 17, 2013, 08:16 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

This thing is an epic fail on all fronts. Can't think of a single reason to buy one.
Old July 17, 2013, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Interesting product and a great review. I would think it would be just as much fun (or more) to buy a handful of other FX CPU and push them to likely similar limits (and if you killed a couple at least you wouldn't be out that kind of cash). That said I understand this is very much a niche product that I am sure will find its way into a select few peoples hands. And as SKY mentioned its nice to see a company actually pushing the silicon to the limit, vice the current trend of power consumption ruling all (though for me power consumption does have a role...and I would have nothing to do with this CPU).
Old July 17, 2013, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty awesome conclusion Sky, I agree that while it ain't for me (or for many people, frankly), I am glad that AMD is trying to do something ridiculous and kind of awesome. Props for trying!
Old July 17, 2013, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Wow, so much hate for AMD.

I think Sky summed it up pretty well in his conclusion: It's not the most efficient, practical, cheapest, or most powerful processor. But it is a good bit of fun!

Instead of a Bugatti, compare it to a Lamborghini Countach: The Countach was expensive, uncomfortable, hard to see out of, and hard to get in it. Oh, and it wasn't the fastest car of its time. BUT, everybody wanted one, and little boys put posters of it up on their walls. It was pure, unadulterated MADNESS!!!

That is what this processor is. It is a Countach. And completely MAD!
Errrrr...if we're going to use cars for the analogy, I'm thinking this:

Top Gear AMC Pacer - YouTube

This is not "what can be done with current tech". The 4770K is what can be done with current tech- more performance with less power, more advanced silicon.

If you think it's "fun" to throw away $500-$600, throw it my way.

I posted AMD should do this long before there was rumor of it, but what I thought they should do is bin some 8350s, include a closed loop cooler, and sell it for $350 pre-OCd.

What they did is a kick in the crotch to the people foolish enough to buy this for $820..
Old July 17, 2013, 10:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Cost aside, because everyone likes to argue 'value'. Which is not linear. We all see 'value' differently.

I like that they could give us a good hail mary of pushing a chip to this extreme. Here is to hoping that they are cash infused enough with PS4 and XB1 to give us some much needed R&D on their next generation.

Good show, though out of my price range.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 17, 2013, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AMD hating seems to be par for the course for a few members here. This is a FAST chip, but some people just refuse to see that, and instead decide to focus entirely on price and power consumption.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old July 17, 2013, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Apparently this retailer had prices as low as $400 earlier today. Back up to $800 and OOS now though.
Old July 17, 2013, 02:29 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I think its very very cool of AMD to release this totaly impractical chip. Good for them for doing it. IE its always good to see us enthusiasts get some love.

BUT I can see the other side. It goes something like this GBA....TDP of over 200 watts...what is it a CPU or a frickin GPU. That is insane. BUT that too would have been OK if it had been 4bills. At 4bills its a giggle worthy chip at 8bills...its a white whale. Thats not the kind of 'love' I - or my pocketbook - are into!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr