Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2013, 09:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

800??? why so much more? That is ridiculous. Just buy a 3930K and be happy!
Old July 16, 2013, 10:25 PM
Allstar

So what kind of unspeakable thing HWC had to do behind the dumpster to get their hands on this CPU since AMD isn't giving out review samples?
Old July 17, 2013, 12:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
So what kind of unspeakable thing HWC had to do behind the dumpster to get their hands on this CPU since AMD isn't giving out review samples?
If they tell you then this probably would not be an all-age forum...though it might have involved a big smile on AMD's part afterward :D.
Old July 17, 2013, 01:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think it's really cool. With such high tdp it makes stuff like TEC awesome again.
Old July 17, 2013, 01:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

wow, the price and wattage really doesn't seem worth it at all. How does it compete with anything?

they had better be drawing attention to themselves for a reason, because a 220w cpu with a price premium that still can barely match intels quad i7 isn't it

unless they have an ace up their sleeve, it seems like a suicide mission. I'd really like to see them competitive in the high end sector again though
Old July 17, 2013, 02:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just what I thought it would be... Over-priced and not very good.

Don't get me wrong, fair play to AMD for doing a no-holds-barred-chip but as said in the review, the 8350 is this things match most of the time (silicon lottery willing)
And it beat Intel in some tests where they have plenty of oc head-room and this doesn't. annndddd a ridiculous price.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old July 17, 2013, 05:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
I was able to open it just fine in Chrome.

This is a good effort from AMD, however the cost/performance is not worth it whatsoever.

I see this as the Bugatti Veyron of AMD. They are doing this just to show what they can do, with no real plans of this being a financial success (But I'm sure people will still buy it...)
What do you have against Bugatti?

This GPU is a total joke for gamers, and at $820, it's a joke on the level of scratching off one of those fake lottery tickets on nationwide tv.

If it offered higher performance for it's $820 the ginormous power consumption might be overlooked, but $200-$300 intel cpus across multiple generations are beating it.

Would have been a good idea at $350, at $820 buyers are basically saying "I love AMD to the extent I'm willing to give them $500 as a donation.".
Old July 17, 2013, 06:47 AM
Allstar

Turbo 5Ghz with little OC to 5.2Ghz is not good enough for the monster. As the article said we can already get 8350's into the same speeds with the same voltages. If I were to jump on this and figure out how to source one I would want a base OC of 5Ghz with potential to go higher say 5.5Ghz on air/water(would need a smaller die I think to achieve this). I would have loved it had they jammed another module for 10 cores into it since we are shrinking this imaginary chip in my head. This is not a bugatti by any stretch of the imagination.
Old July 17, 2013, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, so much hate for AMD.

I think Sky summed it up pretty well in his conclusion: It's not the most efficient, practical, cheapest, or most powerful processor. But it is a good bit of fun!

Instead of a Bugatti, compare it to a Lamborghini Countach: The Countach was expensive, uncomfortable, hard to see out of, and hard to get in it. Oh, and it wasn't the fastest car of its time. BUT, everybody wanted one, and little boys put posters of it up on their walls. It was pure, unadulterated MADNESS!!!

That is what this processor is. It is a Countach. And completely MAD!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; July 17, 2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old July 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Ok, first of all, it is not HWC's policy to hide our content behind an ad wall. Unfortunately, the ad blocker issue seems to be a by-product of the problems we have been living through over the last week which are a direct offshoot of a banner ad problem.

People are free to use ad blocker on the site without any worries about blocked content. We would of course appreciate if HWC would be added to the blocker's exceptions but it is by NO MEANS a requirement.

/back to the topic at hand....

I love this processor because of what it represents: a company FINALLY pushing their architecture to the limit.