Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2013, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoast604 View Post
Yes it's the minimalist gen now 70-80 isn't 100% no matter how you cut it so it appears intel needs to step up the race and get to 100%.
All they'd really have to do is set the clocks higher and use half the power AMD is using and they would win 100%- with several of their chips.

If they used 220W, the i3s would likely beat the 9590 with two cores.
Old September 21, 2013, 04:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

True. Well, first 5GHz CPU in the market w/o overclocking is not meant to be really usable after all. The problem with the power requirments did not stop with cooling. The load on the CPU Vcore regulators are also extreme... All in all, it just prove that AMD can do good procesors, yet cannot compete with the Intel effectivity.

But at least AMD wins on FarCry3 play (or in Company of Heroes 2) :)

This CPU definitively beg for at least watercooling and perhaps even watercooling of the CPU Vcore modfets, lol.

Squeetard - don't feed the troll and take it easy. No-one with sane mind listen to these nonsenses. We all can see the performance and if this is some wild conspiracy, then... why SuperPi records belong to the Intel CPU's? :) Therefore, case closed.

But certainly I agree with SKYMTL - AMD definitively earn ours respect for the first 5GHz CPU ever. Regardless of practic use of the CPU.

A good example could be this - remember the first mobile phones? Bigger that normal phone and weight about one ton? Yes, exactly this was the beginning. And the same hold true for the 5GHz CPU's. Not really practical right now, but wait few years and we see about it :)

IIRC fastest was default sold CPU was 3.8GHz Pentium 4 670 Northwoods, before this bold insanity?
Old September 21, 2013, 06:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I'd give up Rollo, you'll never win an argument with logic or facts.

Only fools have a personal preference. Why would anyone have brand loyalty? The sole purpose of any brand is to suck as much money from you as they can.

Do your research. Top to bottom, intels beats AMD in both performance per watt and PERFORMANCE PER DOLLAR.

To hell with the AMD budget systems too, the core i3 kills that.
The only part I don't agree with is the APU vs the i3 with its Intel HD Graphics. The APU has a much better GPU and sadly more refined drivers than the HD intel ones.
Beyond that I agree, but why would AMD really need to worry? They are in all 3 major Consoles. They have that monopoly going very well for them. So, regardless of this flop, and a CPU that is done just for bragging rights, they have a market that intel and NVidia have had zero success in.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 22, 2013, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

keep in mind Intels RND budget is higher than some countries GNP. AMD has always had an inexpensive option for everyone dating back to the Tbird. AMD has also been using the same socket since AM2 cpu's so people could get a newer inexpensive CPUs and upgrade on the cheap without buying all new everything.

Your bang for buck argument is complete nonsense when you take into account that intel constantly changes it's products requiring complete full upgrades. Overclocking High End Intels also require expensive $300+ mobo's. $250 for a top end AMD board (which btw are very good) So while you argue a bang for buck CPUs you will also require a new mobo and ram so there goes the bank account (and your argument) for those of us with other more enduring financial commitments.

I have been running a 1090t for 2 years now and can goto memx and spend another 200 bux for the 8350 if I choose. Which for all intensive purposes isn't a horrible upgrade and all the other hardware still works. So really... who's the idiot?

Please don't even mention i3 ok... they don't belong anywhere near this debate.

CPU chart
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old September 22, 2013, 01:43 PM
Banned

Hardware Canucks review- AMD's best chip highly OCd is losing 75% of the benchmarks at gaming and at office productivity to $200 stock clocked intel chips that could be run $75 motherboards with the included cooler and a $50 power supply.

While the AMD highly OCd chip requires special motherboards with heavy duty power handling, high end cooling, and a high end psu.

That's all that really needs to be said:

Cheap intel mid range at stock speeds on cheap parts beats the best AMD can do on costly parts. Let that sink in how sad that is.

As far as "kitguru" goes:
1. People don't benchmark CPUs at 25X16 because that makes it a test of GPUs, not CPUs.
2. I remember when the owner of kitguru, an AMD sponsored site was part of Hardware Central and held a contest asking their members if they should destroy a $600 NVIDIA review sample by explosion, or fire. His stated reason was that it was "defective, because it was a NVIDIA part". Zardon isn't exactly known in the review community for lack of bias. Intel is probably lucky he didn't bend half the pins in the socket for their CPUs in that review.
Old September 22, 2013, 03:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thread cleaned and infractions issued. If this continues on any part of the forum it will be a vacation instead.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Hardware Canucks review- AMD's best chip highly OCd is losing 75% of the benchmarks at gaming and at office productivity to $200 stock clocked intel chips that could be run $75 motherboards with the included cooler and a $50 power supply.

While the AMD highly OCd chip requires special motherboards with heavy duty power handling, high end cooling, and a high end psu.
That is incorrect sir you are speaking from your ass again. Losing 75% of benchmarks but not by such huge margins as to offset the massive price differences. Stop distorting facts please.

You mean like a heavy duty 600w-1000w Corsair??? You are wasting the English language on bullshit again. Tell me Rollo... which PSU do you own personally. Heavy duty I'm sure...

Most of the mother boards out there will overclock no problem I just chose to buy a high end one because it won't break the bank. Seriously... 200 dollars for a CHV which is the top shelf for AMD. Gene IV 500+? Laff... Brain has owned 2 of those btw.. the 1st one died. (sorry to drag your name into this dude)

Anyone who overclocks tends to spend money on cooling so that argument is moot once again. The newer AMD chips will OC on air from what I've read so a basic h100 will suffice for most people. High end cooling... please dude people buy that stuff regardless of the cpu they are running and if they don't they don't over clock.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old September 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ok guys. Last chance. Time for everyone to take a deep breathe and repeat after me:

The 9590 is not for everyone. It is a niche chip. If it hits 3 bills it will be interesting, until then its a touch overpriced at 4 bills - but not terribly so.

There done. That sums up both sides of the argument and peels away the BS on both sides.

Is the AMD 5ghz 'crap' like some have said: nope. Its a decent cpu. But one that requires a extra power and cooling. It is a decent upgrade for AMD users who dont want/cant/etc overclock but want a chip that can do 5GHz and dont want to do a complete overhaul and throw out a working mobo. The average new system buyer will indeed be better served by an i5 or a 8350. At this point anyone who argues over the minutia are either fanbois to trolls. Please dont feed the trolls (unless its me doing the trolling :P). Please dont poke the fanbois...its not nice to pick on the shortbus kids.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 22, 2013, 08:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

And thus it starts.

I'm all for letting folks discuss the merits of hardware pro or con, but once you start parroting the exact same thing you've already said 20 times it's into trolling territory.

Staff's patience on this subject is wearing pretty thin, expect that we'll be trigger happy with infraction points from here on in.

`Nuff said.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old September 24, 2013, 08:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As someone with an AMD notebook, AMD desktop, and AMD gfx card in said desktop I want to say that Intel is pretty tempting to me. But aside from that I really wish you guys (on both sides) would just stop posting. This is why we cannot have nice things. Perhaps I am mistaken but I could have sworn I have seen mods warn people in this thread multiple times but both parties keep on going almost as if they are trying to get infractions and the thread locked.

For the sake of this forum just stop. You have all made your arguments and then some extra. We do not need more locked threads and I do not like seeing the forum spammed with the sort of posts that have been dumped into this thread. Nor do we need more users at each other's throat.

Stop dragging my forum down. Occasionally getting crap posts is fine. Crap posts on this scale however is something different.
If you are just going to shit all over everything then get off my HWC.

Back on topic:
I personally do not fit the target for this CPU. Does it's existence hurt me? Hell no. It has it's own market and AMD is allowed to release whatever CPU it wants.