Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Which i7? 3820, 3770, 4770 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/61952-i7-3820-3770-4770-a.html)

JD July 1, 2013 03:10 PM

Which i7? 3820, 3770, 4770

So I have a bit of a dilemma...

Seems my good ol' i7 920 D0 and P6TD Deluxe is starting to kick the bucket. Memory channel 3 (C) is dead it seems. Rather than play a game of Russian Roulette in determining if it's motherboard or CPU, I figure it's probably best just to scrap it and "upgrade".

Here's the issue though: I have a P8P67 Pro B3 kicking around, so I could drop a 3770 and be done. However, the P67 chipset is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I'm not sure if it's really worthwhile.

I could move it over to LGA2011, as the 3820 is clocked the highest and includes the most cache. This seems the most logical for the usage of the machine (AutoCAD and Revit). However, LGA2011 looks to be a dying platform too with very slow upgrade to Ivy Bridge-E and then Haswell-E will be a new chipset/socket I'm sure.

That brings me to the 4770, brand new, latest chipset, etc. However it still doesn't have the memory bandwidth SB-E does and would cost me roughly the same.

Any suggestions as to the approach I should take?

EmptyMellon July 1, 2013 04:15 PM

If you are doing complex designs in AutoCAD and/or Revit, then go with LGA 2011. Also, if it is financially beneficial to go with LGA 2011 or 1155, then great, but at this point in time I would not waste my time and money, and would go with a 4770K, once the time comes. From the limited number of benchmarks I have seen, LGA 1150 is the way to go now. Personally, Intel took some wind out off my sails after I saw that come 2H 2014, LGA2011 will turn to LGA2011-3.

10e July 1, 2013 08:27 PM

Stick a 3770K on that P67Pro and be done with it.

I was going to put one of my 4770K chips in my main PC and then said "nah" and went back to my trusty de-lidded 3770K that runs 4.8Ghz with a 1.25 volts vCore at 67-70 celsius.

Autocad and Revit aren't 3D rendering where you could theoretically see some time shaved off from the extra AVX and FPU enhancements, so 4770K will be a wash for you.

I wouldn't waste my money on Haswell even though I already did :doh: I was at least expecting some better power usage or better performance per watt and I didn't even get that. Big disappointment.

My next best choice would be an i7 3820 on a good Asus or Gigabyte board due to the enhanced memory performance. I like the LGA2011 platform because there is no gimping of features. You get overclocking plus full virtualization enhancements unlike Sandy and Ivy Bridge.

Only the 3770 (non-K) has a bit of both where you get some overclocking up to 4.3 - 4.5ghz from multi-core enhancement, BCLK raise, and XMP settings as well as the full virtualization features like VT-X and VT-d.

stlouis1 July 2, 2013 02:17 AM

I say get one of each and call it a day, that's more or less what I've been doing

GT7R July 2, 2013 05:27 AM

Just grab a 3770 now and be done with it, till maybe X99 will come out.

great_big_abyss July 2, 2013 06:52 AM

There's a guy in the BST who is offering a BNIB 3770K for $250...can't really go wrong with that deal!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...y-desktop.html

rjbarker July 2, 2013 08:34 AM

Everything I've seen with new Haswell runs hot and doesnt OC well. There is still lots of life in the best platform out there ...X79. New Ivy-E processor due out Sept, likely not see replacement X99 Haswell-E for a year anyhow.
I didnt see any upgrade path from X58 to anything but X79 imo...
This 3930K is by far the best OC'ing chip I have ever owned...a real champ and certainly no regrets to moving to this present platform ;)

JD July 2, 2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 718065)
There's a guy in the BST who is offering a BNIB 3770K for $250...can't really go wrong with that deal!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...y-desktop.html

Yeah I already bought it and he shipped it out today :thumb:

Figured it was the best approach and generally seems everyone agrees too. Picked up a H60 and 2x8GB Mushkin Stealth RAM too from NCIX.

And Revit is 3D rendering, that's the part that's really chewing up the RAM and CPU cycles currently. I suspect getting a Quadro/FireGL card would help immensely too but the cost is a bit insane when the similar "gaming" card is easily half the price.

EmptyMellon July 2, 2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 718151)
Yeah I already bought it and he shipped it out today :thumb:

Figured it was the best approach and generally seems everyone agrees too. Picked up a H60 and 2x8GB Mushkin Stealth RAM too from NCIX.

And Revit is 3D rendering, that's the part that's really chewing up the RAM and CPU cycles currently. I suspect getting a Quadro/FireGL card would help immensely too but the cost is a bit insane when the similar "gaming" card is easily half the price.

Even with my pathetic Quadro 2000 (initially an 1800), it was a night and day going from a pair of nVidia gaming cards.

I don't know how picky (how optimized) Revit is when it comes to detail line and point selection, but in S*itWorks...ermmm I mean SolidWorks, my design experience became less frustrating - object/feature selection wise - once I started using workstation cards.

Dzzope July 3, 2013 12:36 AM

The cost is vastly reduced once you start looking second hand on the pro cards.