Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2013, 09:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry I thought Revit was just another CAD program but there's 3D modelling built in too.

Wasn't there a BIOS mod to take a 5870 and turn it into a FirePro? There's a possibility you can investigate.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old July 3, 2013, 12:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
The cost is vastly reduced once you start looking second hand on the pro cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
Sorry I thought Revit was just another CAD program but there's 3D modelling built in too.

Wasn't there a BIOS mod to take a 5870 and turn it into a FirePro? There's a possibility you can investigate.
It is bad enough to deal with the few CAD software instabilities and crashes. Why add to the mix, with potential hardware headaches? Second hand or BIOS flashing are fine if you're just farting around with CAD or care to gamble with your contracts, but the moment you end up having issues or simply brick your one functioning card which you depend on, to maintain your business/contracts...then who do you blame?

Of course, If you have the money to brick gaming cards, well then you obviously have the money to buy the proper workstation card versions.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
Even with my pathetic Quadro 2000 (initially an 1800), it was a night and day going from a pair of nVidia gaming cards.

I don't know how picky (how optimized) Revit is when it comes to detail line and point selection, but in S*itWorks...ermmm I mean SolidWorks, my design experience became less frustrating - object/feature selection wise - once I started using workstation card.
Hmm good to know. Maybe I'll keep an eye out on eBay and such for cards pulled from EOL systems.

This is all for my brother as he's studying architecture at school. He says the PC's at school only have i3's and 4GB RAM... but they must have Quadro/FireGL's in them as he says it runs smoothly.
Old July 4, 2013, 02:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Hmm good to know. Maybe I'll keep an eye out on eBay and such for cards pulled from EOL systems.

This is all for my brother as he's studying architecture at school. He says the PC's at school only have i3's and 4GB RAM... but they must have Quadro/FireGL's in them as he says it runs smoothly.
Well, I don't quite know about Revit, but upto this point SolidWorks is NOT optimized well for multicore proc's, hence I did not waste my money on getting anything over i7 3820 and just OC'ed it a bit. On the otherhand, the times I have been running my license of SolidWorks Simulations (an FEA - Finite Element Analysis - program) an i7 39xxK would be handy, since that program is optimized for multicore usage.

So if your brother will ever use any FEA/Structural Analysis software, then an i3 may not be ideal, otherwise don't waste money on any top of the line proc's it will be wasted on those programs; unless things will change in the next few years. In the case of SolidWorks, they have been putting "lipstick on a pig" since their 2009 version and there is a new version every year - Autodesk does that now too.
Old July 4, 2013, 06:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well Revit definitely uses multithreading. It maxes out the i7 920 he currently has.
Old July 5, 2013, 01:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Well Revit definitely uses multithreading. It maxes out the i7 920 he currently has.
Well, if that is the case, then I am jealous. Actually, I tried to download a 30-day trial of Revit LT from Autodesk about two months ago, since I was thinking of buying a copy, but each time I ended up with some quasi-gimped version that was not fully functional. 3 re-installs/re-downloads later I had enough so I just gave up, and Autodesk's help forum was useless as a tit on a stick.
Old July 5, 2013, 07:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well LT is gimped from the get go. Since my brother is a student, he gets a free "education-only" license. So it's the full product, just that all his drawings get watermarked.
Old July 5, 2013, 07:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Well LT is gimped from the get go. Since my brother is a student, he gets a free "education-only" license. So it's the full product, just that all his drawings get watermarked.
Unfortunately, it was gimped even more than the usual (I also use AutoCAD LT so I know what you mean), in my case, the main screen did not have the default selection that Autodesk showed in their own promo vid's, and even though it obviously installed all the design libraries I was not able to use them/bring them up in any useful way. Anyway, this is a weee bit off your OP thread so I shall stop here. All the best with your brother's build.