Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2013, 07:38 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS Z87 Deluxe Motherboard Review Comment Thread

ASUS' Z87 Deluxe is a $300 board that's packed full of features but it is also one of the most expensive Z87 boards on the market. Novice overclockers will be particularly interested since three kinds of auto-overclocking modes have been included too.

Read more here: ASUS Z87 Deluxe Motherboard Review

Old June 27, 2013, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It is a sweet board is it not? I would have liked to see a fifth fan control for the CPU (if I didn't miss that?). Also Thunderbolt support should have been included for that price. Remove support for USB 2 and add more ports for USB 3.
Old June 28, 2013, 05:37 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The problem with TB is that the devices are so darn expensive for limited benefit over USB 3.0. Quite a few manufacturers have decided to eliminate the port.
Old June 28, 2013, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sure, right now. But that's not very forward thinking is it? I have absolutely no use for TB myself. But I'd be willing to bet I would in the near future if the option were there. Limited benefit over USB 3.0? I was under the impression it was much faster. I gotta read up on it. Me is behind the times. Good read though! Thanks for the article.
Old June 28, 2013, 05:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Sure, right now. But that's not very forward thinking is it? I have absolutely no use for TB myself. But I'd be willing to bet I would in the near future if the option were there. Limited benefit over USB 3.0? I was under the impression it was much faster. I gotta read up on it. Me is behind the times. Good read though! Thanks for the article.
99% of the devices and users out there are not even maxing out USB2.0 yet.

A very limited number of devices and users actually use a USB3.0 to it's full potential

While I agree that TB is better, is it mainstream yet? Extremely far from it. Just for the fact that it's a different plug alone.

So Gimme USB3.0 all over and i'm happy but I dont feel any need to have a TB port on a motherboard yet. Just add a pcie card if you really need it I guess.
Old June 28, 2013, 06:56 AM
Allstar

I would have liked to have seen Thunderbolt as well although it looks like the board has an onboard connector of some type for TB. Aside from the price it looks like a stellar board. Love the WiFi Go or whatever it's called, I can see myself using that a lot. I might even consider upgrading if they end up putting that feature on some of their cheaper boards. Currently have a Z77 Sabertooth and 3570K so it might not be all that much to do so.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 28, 2013, 07:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Great review Eldonko. I like the look of this board, and a lot of the ASUS software seems actually useful, which isn't something you see all the time. The WiFi go in particular seems likes it could be pretty handy. I don't think it's quite enough to push me onto the Haswell level yet, but I'm really curious to see how many of these features end up on Asus' cheaper boards like Nodscene said. The ROG line and MSI boards will be interesting to see as well.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:28 AM
Allstar

They have WiFi Go! on the Pro board ($220) so that's a real plus IMO. I wonder if any other company has anything comparable to this?

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 28, 2013, 08:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yah I liked WiFo GO a lot, there were features I would actually use daily. The cloud storage connectivity for one and the remote access was actually pretty user friendly. I wasnt sure how easy it would be to use on a phone but it worked well.

Regarding thunderbolt, each ASUS Z87 board is very specific to a particular audience. For the Deluxe there is 802.11 ac and then there is the Deluxe Dual which adds Thunderbolt.
Old June 28, 2013, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect

Not a fan of the gold, but WiFi Go looks pretty interesting! Kind of regretting my Z87 Sabertooth purchase now

Last edited by av3n; June 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM.