Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2013, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Regarding thunderbolt, each ASUS Z87 board is very specific to a particular audience. For the Deluxe there is 802.11 ac and then there is the Deluxe Dual which adds Thunderbolt.
Ah! There it is!

Regarding USB, if 3.0 is backward compatible, why include more 2.0 ports? Why not nix it altogether?
Old June 28, 2013, 07:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Ah! There it is!

Regarding USB, if 3.0 is backward compatible, why include more 2.0 ports? Why not nix it altogether?
Costs.
A simple but true answer. At least in my eyes,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 28, 2013, 08:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The issue is that without drivers usb 3.0 wont be recognized so you should have a few 2.0 ports for keyboard and mouse to work in BIOS. On the deluxe there was actually a sticker that said keyboard and mouse here.
Old June 28, 2013, 09:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Nice review Eldonko, particularly I like the OC approach you used to bench the board and clarified/solidified a few more details - having previously watched the Anandtech video covering the new ASUS OC functions. The fact that ASUS's on-board (auto) OC methods push the board beyond 4 GHz is nice, especially for the timid OC'ers like myself.
Old June 28, 2013, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
The issue is that without drivers usb 3.0 wont be recognized so you should have a few 2.0 ports for keyboard and mouse to work in BIOS. On the deluxe there was actually a sticker that said keyboard and mouse here.
So, USB 3.0 is actually inferior as far as usability is concerned. Nice.

What idiots come up with these "standards" anyway?
Old June 28, 2013, 10:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
So, USB 3.0 is actually inferior as far as usability is concerned. Nice.

What idiots come up with these "standards" anyway?
Yea don't get me started on USB 3.0 without drivers. I literally sat there for an hour trying and trying to use my keyboard which seemed to work sporadically before I figured out that I should be using the USB 2.0 ports. Furthermore, I don't think I've really used enough USB 3.0 devices to even care if I have it or not.
Old June 29, 2013, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Damn good review as always Zac!
.. When I reached the watercooling section, as soon as I saw that rad, I knew it was you.. so I looked up to see who did the review, Eldonko! yesss... lol..

Even it being expensive, this board with all the sweet bells and whistles is a pretty good board I think..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old June 29, 2013, 04:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It's a good motherboard. Yeah USB 3.0 seems to be giving a lot of people issues, a few of the Maximus IVs had to be RMA'ed because of their USB 3.0 issues (they have 8 ports on the back IO).

I'm really unsure of whether to buy though or not Haswell ... motherboards are awesome but the CPU itself is underwhelming as far as OC headroom goes.
Old June 29, 2013, 05:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzSleep View Post
It's a good motherboard. Yeah USB 3.0 seems to be giving a lot of people issues, a few of the Maximus IVs had to be RMA'ed because of their USB 3.0 issues (they have 8 ports on the back IO).

I'm really unsure of whether to buy though or not Haswell ... motherboards are awesome but the CPU itself is underwhelming as far as OC headroom goes.
from a longevity perspective, I'd go Haswell simply because 1150 is going to support at least another generation of CPUs whereas 1155 is on it's last generation.
Old June 30, 2013, 12:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirazi_r View Post
from a longevity perspective, I'd go Haswell simply because 1150 is going to support at least another generation of CPUs whereas 1155 is on it's last generation.
In my case, I already own a 2600K, so it's a lot less clear. I'd agree if you were building a new system though. It's really disappointing to see that there haven't been big performance gains in the past 2.5 years since Sandy first launched.