Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old June 28, 2013, 02:59 PM
IRQ Conflict's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drayton Valley, AB
Posts: 1,559

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Regarding thunderbolt, each ASUS Z87 board is very specific to a particular audience. For the Deluxe there is 802.11 ac and then there is the Deluxe Dual which adds Thunderbolt.
Ah! There it is!

Regarding USB, if 3.0 is backward compatible, why include more 2.0 ports? Why not nix it altogether?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old June 28, 2013, 07:07 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,062

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Ah! There it is!

Regarding USB, if 3.0 is backward compatible, why include more 2.0 ports? Why not nix it altogether?
Costs.
A simple but true answer. At least in my eyes,

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old June 28, 2013, 08:12 PM
Eldonko's Avatar
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,445
Default

The issue is that without drivers usb 3.0 wont be recognized so you should have a few 2.0 ports for keyboard and mouse to work in BIOS. On the deluxe there was actually a sticker that said keyboard and mouse here.
__________________
Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes or shark attacks.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old June 28, 2013, 09:10 PM
EmptyMellon's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 434

My System Specs

Default

Nice review Eldonko, particularly I like the OC approach you used to bench the board and clarified/solidified a few more details - having previously watched the Anandtech video covering the new ASUS OC functions. The fact that ASUS's on-board (auto) OC methods push the board beyond 4 GHz is nice, especially for the timid OC'ers like myself.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old June 28, 2013, 09:13 PM
IRQ Conflict's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drayton Valley, AB
Posts: 1,559

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
The issue is that without drivers usb 3.0 wont be recognized so you should have a few 2.0 ports for keyboard and mouse to work in BIOS. On the deluxe there was actually a sticker that said keyboard and mouse here.
So, USB 3.0 is actually inferior as far as usability is concerned. Nice.

What idiots come up with these "standards" anyway?
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old June 28, 2013, 10:10 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
So, USB 3.0 is actually inferior as far as usability is concerned. Nice.

What idiots come up with these "standards" anyway?
Yea don't get me started on USB 3.0 without drivers. I literally sat there for an hour trying and trying to use my keyboard which seemed to work sporadically before I figured out that I should be using the USB 2.0 ports. Furthermore, I don't think I've really used enough USB 3.0 devices to even care if I have it or not.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old June 29, 2013, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,344
Default

Damn good review as always Zac!
.. When I reached the watercooling section, as soon as I saw that rad, I knew it was you.. so I looked up to see who did the review, Eldonko! yesss... lol..

Even it being expensive, this board with all the sweet bells and whistles is a pretty good board I think..
__________________
Intel E8400, Biostar TPower i45
G-Skill PC2-8500 4GB, Saphire HD4870 512mb
Cooler Master HAF 932, Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old June 29, 2013, 04:05 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 59

My System Specs

Default

It's a good motherboard. Yeah USB 3.0 seems to be giving a lot of people issues, a few of the Maximus IVs had to be RMA'ed because of their USB 3.0 issues (they have 8 ports on the back IO).

I'm really unsure of whether to buy though or not Haswell ... motherboards are awesome but the CPU itself is underwhelming as far as OC headroom goes.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old June 29, 2013, 05:58 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzSleep View Post
It's a good motherboard. Yeah USB 3.0 seems to be giving a lot of people issues, a few of the Maximus IVs had to be RMA'ed because of their USB 3.0 issues (they have 8 ports on the back IO).

I'm really unsure of whether to buy though or not Haswell ... motherboards are awesome but the CPU itself is underwhelming as far as OC headroom goes.
from a longevity perspective, I'd go Haswell simply because 1150 is going to support at least another generation of CPUs whereas 1155 is on it's last generation.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old June 30, 2013, 12:10 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 59

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirazi_r View Post
from a longevity perspective, I'd go Haswell simply because 1150 is going to support at least another generation of CPUs whereas 1155 is on it's last generation.
In my case, I already own a 2600K, so it's a lot less clear. I'd agree if you were building a new system though. It's really disappointing to see that there haven't been big performance gains in the past 2.5 years since Sandy first launched.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe Motherboard Review Comment Thread SKYMTL CPU's and Motherboards 6 November 14, 2009 02:19 PM
Hardware Canucks -- A year in review? S_G Suggestions & Feedback 5 November 7, 2008 10:16 AM