Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2013, 09:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow The Stilt Releases Bulldozer Conditioner Software: AMD SuperPI History To...[HWBot]

Could some at HWC confirm the improvement? Sounds very promising.

Link to initial post: hwbot.org - View Single Post - The Stilt's Book of Bulldozer - Revelations: Episode 2 (SuperPI / x87)

Follow up post by Stilt: hwbot.org - View Single Post - The Stilt's Book of Bulldozer - Revelations: Episode 2 (SuperPI / x87)

Quote:
The Stilt Releases Bulldozer Conditioner Software: AMD SuperPI History To Be Re-Written

We all know AMD is pretty terrible at the Super PI benchmark and it is not likely to change. The benchmark is very old and the instruction set it requires is no longer relevant to real world workloads. It turns out however, that AMD is worse at Super PI calculations than what the architecture is actually capable of. The Stilt from Finland figured out how to significantly speed up the benchmark by going through the BIOS developers guides. The same guides are available to all the BIOS R&D teams of motherboard vendors, but seemingly no one figured out this performance issue. It is quite funny and perhaps sad at the same time that one man is able to beat an entire industry.
Here is the download link to the patch: click
In a video posted by The Stilt earlier, he showed a 4.1GHz A10-6800K completing SuperPI 17 minutes and 34 seconds. The fastest 5GHz Richland SuperPI 32M is around 18 minutes and 15 seconds. A lot faster! For more information, check out the thread in the forums.
Happy benching, AMD fans!
Source: The Stilt Releases Bulldozer Conditioner Software: AMD SuperPI History To Be Re-Written

Update:
Quote:
Back again.

Some of the users have been asking why the "Errata Fix" feature doesn't work (i.e. "Fix required" stated even after the Fix button has been pressed). The feature itself is working fine, however I forgot to add a check in the GUI. Also some claims that the software is wrong when it states that the microcode is outdated has emerged.

So:

A small update: Bulldozer Conditioner R1.01B

Original package checksum (MD5): C3C4E3492B3FBFE1079AE5D57C25172B

Changes:

- Added a hardware flag to indicate that the errata has been fixed.
- Changed the way how the software is accessing the cores, the tasks are completed quicker than before
- An APU specific bug fixed
- Added information about the most recent microcode and AGESA versions under Info menu.
- Some small changes to the GU
Source: hwbot.org - View Single Post - The Stilt's Book of Bulldozer - Revelations: Episode 2 (SuperPI / x87)

Last edited by EmptyMellon; June 22, 2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Updated
Old June 22, 2013, 07:46 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

So.....does it update the mobo's microcode or the program's compiler?
Old June 22, 2013, 05:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
So.....does it update the mobo's microcode or the program's compiler?
Here is an excerpt straight from Stilt's post (linked in the first post):

Quote:
Also the R1.00B (Beta) version does not contain the feature to patch the microcode block as I could not make it work stable enough.

The "Errata Fix" button will fix the major errata which can be patched without updating the microcode.
This feature should not be used as a permanent solution, the bios update should still be used as a primary method (updated AGESA + microcode).
So, at this time it does not update the microcode.

Though I am curious about the reason that caused AMD to ignore this, without fixing such an error. Will they even address this issue or any motherboard manufactures?
Old June 23, 2013, 12:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Isn't this an irrelevant instruction set? Akin to asking how many fps does this cpu get whilst playing pong?
Old June 23, 2013, 01:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
Isn't this an irrelevant instruction set? Akin to asking how many fps does this cpu get whilst playing pong?
BD does poorly in all single threaded tasks so it's not just an old benchmark that's the problem.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 23, 2013, 05:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default x87 is still not dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
Well, it is definitely becoming lot less relevant each year. The fact that AMD and/or motherboard manufactures neglected to correct this processor feature is rather interesting. Besides, anyone that might use older versions "Mediacoder, many versions of LAME, slightly older version of Photoshop, any AutoCAD pre-2011 ,etc" [SKYMTL; AMD FX-8350 Vishera CPU Review COMMENT THREAD; p.2] might find an 14-18% boost in performance rather helpful. [Low-Performance of AMD Microprocessors May Be Conditioned by? Poor BIOS - X-bit labs].

Tags
bulldozer , stilt , super pi , trinity , vishera