Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2013, 12:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow aaaarrrrghh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Time to actually START reading our news posts.....

Our post:

At this point, availability and pricing are the two largest question marks. Hardware Canucks cannot independently confirm this but industry sources have stated these processors won’t be available of individual purchase, at least initially. Rather, they will make their way into the hands of a few select overclockers (expect to see records start falling like dominos) and system builders. We will likely see them in high end gaming computers from Hypersonic, Maingear and others sometime during the summer.
Arghhh ......Hey I have a good excuse. I read that post but seriously, is that even valid English syntax/grammar, when it says: "...these processors won’t be available of individual purchase,..."; my brain must have skipped right over to of that bit. Anyway, you are right.
Old June 15, 2013, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How many PSUs and motherboards are going to burn with these chips installed? (If you remember what happened with Phenom 1 chips before...)

EDIT: I also cringe at the thought of the fan noise some of these are going to make in pre-built computers...
Old June 24, 2013, 05:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
How many PSUs and motherboards are going to burn with these chips installed? (If you remember what happened with Phenom 1 chips before...)

EDIT: I also cringe at the thought of the fan noise some of these are going to make in pre-built computers...
This is a good for AMD if the following are true:

1. They release it with a $100 closed loop HSF as the only warranted/included cooling solution. (like Corsair H80i or H110i)

2. They price it $350-$400, which is more than fair for a binned $200 retail chip and a $100 retail HSF.

If they take the "It's the first 5GHz cpu!" route and price it at the rumored $920, it will not sell many units because the people who buy parts like this read reviews and know a 5Ghz Vishera still gets beat by $300 intel parts.
Old June 24, 2013, 06:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
This is a good for AMD if the following are true:

1. They release it with a $100 closed loop HSF as the only warranted/included cooling solution. (like Corsair H80i or H110i)

2. They price it $350-$400, which is more than fair for a binned $200 retail chip and a $100 retail HSF.

If they take the "It's the first 5GHz cpu!" route and price it at the rumored $920, it will not sell many units because the people who buy parts like this read reviews and know a 5Ghz Vishera still gets beat by $300 intel parts.
It will mostly be bought by system builders who can then advertise an 8-core chip at 5Ghz...people love that sort of thing.

And, on the retail side, there are a LOT of people with more money than brains, who probably have the disposable income to splurge on a '5 Ghz' chip like this. And I say '5 Ghz' loosely, seeing as that is only the TurboCore speed.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old July 2, 2013, 05:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
It will mostly be bought by system builders who can then advertise an 8-core chip at 5Ghz...people love that sort of thing.

And, on the retail side, there are a LOT of people with more money than brains, who probably have the disposable income to splurge on a '5 Ghz' chip like this. And I say '5 Ghz' loosely, seeing as that is only the TurboCore speed.

The people who buy $900 CPUs are also the people who haven't been buying AMD for many years. Without reviews that say this is superior to intel, I don't think they sell many.

intel doesn't have any 4Ghz cpus either- do you see FX8350s being sold to enthusiasts with more money than brains? (not to mention intel doesn't have any 8 core CPUs)

AMD had 16% of the cpu market last I saw, and in Q1 2013 got pushed to 4th place in the microprocessor market by Qualcomm and Samsung.

People aren't buying 4GHz Visheras, they won't buy 5GHz Visheras either. The word is pretty out that intel processors are faster at lower clock speeds and core counts, and use less power/give off less heat.

The only way this sells is at $350- $400 IMHO, and even there it has an uphill battle.
Old July 4, 2013, 04:18 AM
Banned

Well, they started selling them at $877.99:

AMD FD9590FHHKWOF AMD CPU FD9590FHHKWOF DT FX9590 X8 AM3+ 16M 4.7GHz 220W Retail on AntaresPro.com

You can't beat that- factory OCing for the low, low price of $677.99!
Old July 4, 2013, 05:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Interesting!
Old July 19, 2013, 05:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
You can't beat that- factory OCing for the low, low price of $677.99!
i went to the page and i seen 877$. Newegg is 899$. Both being OEM parts so no cpu cooler, and no cheap 30-40$ cooler is gonna work. If at 65c it throttles down, it stands to reason be least $80+ is gonna be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Pricing the 5.0Ghz chip at around $350 would make it a true contender in the high end enthusiast desktop marketplace. Price it any higher and they will be competing with SB-E/IB-E.
Considering a 3770k/4770k are in ball park of performance but at 1/3rd power consumption kinda no brainer to go with intel.

Quote:
intel doesn't have any 4Ghz cpus either- do you see FX8350s being sold to enthusiasts with more money than brains? (not to mention intel doesn't have any 8 core CPUs)
Well when Haswell-e's come out there will be 8 core desktop parts. But givin' how WELL 4 cores does against AMD's best well. Intel has had AMD by the balls and still do.