Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2013, 10:10 AM
Rookie

Default Um my new motherboard started smoking?

Hello I was working on my first build and I did everything to the book. Double and triple check everything got really excited to boot it up, and when I did so the motherboard started smoking? Is it my fault? This is the exact part on the mobo that started smoking.

Old June 9, 2013, 10:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What part was smoking?

Does your computer still bootup? Maybe it was just some residue from the soldering processes.
Old June 9, 2013, 10:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Are there any electrical burn marks on the rear of the motherboard? If so, it's possible that you had a misplaced motherboard standoff that shorted out a critical power component. In most cases, a short will just prevent the PC from booting, but occasionally a short can connect a high power/voltage trace to something that doesn't react all that well to it.

Aside from that, if there was no short, it could be any number of things from the motherboard itself to something like a short in a usb device.

Did you double/triple check all of your power connections?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 9, 2013, 10:20 AM
Rookie

The part that is pictured is where the smoke was coming from. All the standoffs were in the correct place and I'm too nervous to try to boot it up again as I don't want to damage other parts. I mean this thing was smoking, with small sparks coming from it.. I instantly turned it off. I didn't give it time to see if it would boot. And yep I triple checked everything. I will go check the motherboard for burn marks.
Old June 9, 2013, 10:31 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Are there any electrical burn marks on the rear of the motherboard? If so, it's possible that you had a misplaced motherboard standoff that shorted out a critical power component. In most cases, a short will just prevent the PC from booting, but occasionally a short can connect a high power/voltage trace to something that doesn't react all that well to it.

Aside from that, if there was no short, it could be any number of things from the motherboard itself to something like a short in a usb device.

I see no electrical burn marks on it at all.
Old June 9, 2013, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing a screw or something shorting out the motherboard.'
my older amd motherboard literally smoked then caught fire before I was able to unplug the pc lol I had set up the PC out of the way and was working great until one day when I started the thing and turned to walk out the door to get coffee I heard a spark sound then seen smoke nothing like the smell of burn't electrical components first thing in the morning.
Old June 9, 2013, 10:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If it were me, I'd contact the motherboard manufacturer to start an RMA process and go from there. They may or may not want you to attempt to boot it again, but at least if you're doing it at their direction you've got a bit more leverage when asking for compensation for other parts that may end up damaged.

First thing though is to triple check your front panel connections... one of the few connections left that can be plugged in incorrectly thus causing a catastrophic short is the USB connector.... ensure that you don't have it plugged into something like an audio or firewire (not common on motherboards any more, but used to be the most common issue WRT front panel USB connections).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 9, 2013, 10:42 AM
Rookie

Well yah I got everything hooked up. Reviewed it multiple times very anxiously plugged it in and turned it on. Everything ran smoothly for 3 seconds then smoke started coming out the part I pictured had sparks flying from it and it smelt like burning. I'm going to RMA it but does anyone have any idea on what could have caused it? Also are the parts I had plugged in, the video card, the cpu, ram, should still be in working order.. right?
Old June 9, 2013, 10:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you disconnect all USB devices (including your USB headers?). It could be a bad component (or solder / trace) on the motherboard, but I'm still leaning towards a connection being misplaced and dropping a live line down to ground.

Old June 9, 2013, 10:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Did you disconnect all USB devices (including your USB headers?). It could be a bad component (or solder / trace) on the motherboard, but I'm still leaning towards a connection being misplaced and dropping a live line down to ground.
The only usb connections I had were the 3.0 which was pretty self explanatory. And then I attached the 2.0 usb (pictured below) into 1 of the 3 usb 2.0 ports on the motherboard (pictured below). I also circled the part that was smoking and drew an arrow to the exact place the sparks were coming from. (pink is usb green is were the damage was done)

Edit: I realized I drew an arrow to the cpu fan however I don't think that was the issue, that is just were the smoke was coming from. All I did was attach the cpu fan to that.. ha

Tags
motherboards , troubleshooting