Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2013, 03:59 PM
Rookie

This is by far one of the most frustrating things I've ever experienced. I got the new mobo hooked everything up, but instead this time I took it into a computer shop to have them check the voltages incase it was the psu. They checked all my connections and the psu and said everything was fine however it wouldn't boot. They stripped everything down to the bare necessities and it still won't boot and the error code just says 00, which is an error code that is not in the manual. Help?
Old July 3, 2013, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

00 probably means a dead motherboard, likely another VRM failure. I haven't seen catastrophic VRM failures on MSI boards in a while, but it seems they've changed their power circuitry design for Haswell. They appear to be using good quality tantalum caps, but with all new designs you never know what issues might crop up.

Would you mind posting the rest of you system specs and your general location? (ie are you near a distributor that handles MSI RMA's)
Old July 3, 2013, 08:24 PM
Rookie

Hmm well I contacted MSI directly.. and they told me that 00 meant a failed cpu and that is why it wouldn't boot. And yes I am kind of close.. 2 hours. I'm going to drive to that microcenter next week and they will take a closer look at it for me. Here are the rest of the specs
PCPartPicker part list: Intel Core i5-4670K, MSI GeForce GTX 770, NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: Intel Core i5-4670K, MSI GeForce GTX 770, NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker
Benchmarks: Intel Core i5-4670K, MSI GeForce GTX 770, NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) - System Build - Benchmarks - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($224.99 @ Mac Mall)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($405.91 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($24.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.50 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($175.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($261.72 @ Amazon)
Total: $1845.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-03 22:24 EDT-0400)
Old July 4, 2013, 02:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Did you send the CPU back with the motherboard?

If 00 is dead CPU it sounds like the board took it with it..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 4, 2013, 05:52 AM
Rookie

No I was hoping the cpu would be spared.. Looks like it was a casualty of the last motherboard going bad on me. Would there be any obvious marks on the cpu? I don't see any burn marks bent pins or anything of the sort. Back to the RMA's and the waiting game.
Old July 4, 2013, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Generally I'd send the whole lot (after testing what I can in another system and within reason. Mobo, cpu and ram primarily.). Then they can test the whole lot and if it's dead, you get it all replaced.

How was the experience with MSI RMA?

Old July 4, 2013, 07:37 AM
Rookie

The part I was mainly concerned with is the graphics card (most expensive) you think that should be fine? So far they have been fine.. it's only been the motherboard though so we will see with this process what happens. Also would you have any recommendations on how I could test this stuff to see if it does work? I live in a small town so my only option may be to drive to chicago to a microcenter and have them test it but if there is an easier way I would be all for it. I'm fairly positive the cpu you shot but I'm uncertain about the RAM and the GPU.

Last edited by bisnettda23; July 4, 2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old July 4, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Got a friend with a computer new enough to take DDR3? if so you can use that to test.

Same goes for the CPU.. but thats much more messing about to change (unless they have stock cooling)

If your going to microcenter for the CPU anyway. take the GPU and RAM too. test it all.

Old July 4, 2013, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my experience with catastrophic VRM failures your power supply should be the next thing to get blown up. There are only data paths to your other components and the way electricity works the grounds and negatives in your PSU are a much more attractive path. A good PSU would protect itself and the rest of your components with it's short circuit protections though. CPU's are also much more durable than most people realize, they're usually the last thing to die in a modern system.
Old July 4, 2013, 08:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
In my experience with catastrophic VRM failures your power supply should be the next thing to get blown up. There are only data paths to your other components and the way electricity works the grounds and negatives in your PSU are a much more attractive path. A good PSU would protect itself and the rest of your components with it's short circuit protections though. CPU's are also much more durable than most people realize, they're usually the last thing to die in a modern system.
With Haswell and the VRM on Die, I wouldn't be so sure anymore that the Path to the CPU isn't as lucrative. I could be wrong but in this case I am not surprised that the CPU is gone.

THough what is shocking is the post code variance between boards. 00 for my Intel Branded ones means good POST.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com

Tags
motherboards , troubleshooting