Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2013, 02:29 AM
Rookie

I had a similar problem because of a bad cable . Try booting with nothing connected except your power for your motherboard, cpu fan and graphics.

Unplug all USB, audio, any other front panel, hard drives, ssd, etc.

If its coming from your CPU fan connector make sure its in right and not shorting out.
Old June 10, 2013, 05:20 AM
MVP

It smoked and had sparks coming off it multiple times.
DO NOT TRY AND BOOT IT AGAIN.
Its done. RMA it unless you want more dead components.
Old June 10, 2013, 06:48 AM
Rookie

Ok well I'm definitely RMA the board. But, when I get the new one what should I do? I don't remember forcing the cpu connector in there against it's will. But if it is a faulty cable won't I just get the same result?
Old June 10, 2013, 07:10 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisnettda23 View Post
Ok well I'm definitely RMA the board. But, when I get the new one what should I do? I don't remember forcing the cpu connector in there against it's will. But if it is a faulty cable won't I just get the same result?
If you want a step by step procedure it's pretty straight forward:
  1. Discharge yourself from any static eletricity, not doing so will damage the motherboard, simply touch on the metallic part of your case to discharge.
  2. Test out the motherboard before placing it in the case. To test it out, place the motherboard on the bag it came in unless you have a styrofoam board laying around.
  3. Once placed, put only the CPU and RAM on it, plus the CPU fan of course... also since you RMA your motherboard, check to see if your CPU still has the thermal paste on... if not then you'll need to get some. Once both CPU and RAM are installed, simply connect your ATX 24-pin power cable to the motherboard. With any metallic object (screwdriver, scissors etc...) turn on your motherboard by touching the PWR + and - where the front board pins are. (don't forget to put your power supply to ON)
  4. Turn it off by turn the power supply switch to OFF. If the motherboard was on properly (without any smoke) then the good news is, it probably works. However next step would be to install your video card and plug a monitor into your video card to see if it works. If it goes to a screen where it says: CAN'T FIND MEDIA or something related then your motherboard works.
  5. Now remove your video card from the motherboard and install your motherboard in your case, make sure to use the right screws when screwing them in.
  6. The rest is pretty straight forward, place in your hard drives,SSDs and optical drives (if you have any), plug them in, the place the video card in and finally the front board connector.

You should be fine after that, just needs your Operating System installed and you're good to go.
Old June 10, 2013, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
If you look @ the cpu fan header it looks partially melted too. Moreso on the left hand side.
No marks on the pins and looks like a "wave" of less melt behind each one, which suggests to me that it's just the heat caused by whatever was burning rather than anything going on with the fan connection, you'd see it emanating from the pins otherwise

And Shinra...
Never place something on the outside of a static bag or Styrofoam if your worried about static. Anti-Static bags work by drawing any static out to the surface (at least some do) and Styrofoam is well.. static generating.
Just place on a non-conductive surface. Cardboard box or directly onto your table (assuming it's not metal)
Not that I've seen anything get damaged by static in a loong time unless someone is wearing a woolly jumper and walking on thick carpet for an hour before touching something
Not to say that you shouldn't take any precautions but yea, ground yourself, build outside the case, if everything works build inside and away you go. (double check the motherboard try has no burrs or stand-offs or anything else that could be touching the board)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Last edited by Dzzope; June 10, 2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old June 10, 2013, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Not that I've seen anything get damaged by static in a loong time unless someone is wearing a woolly jumper and walking on thick carpet for an hour before touching something
Off topic, but all I could think about when I read that was an episode of family guy.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old June 10, 2013, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
If you look @ the cpu fan header it looks partially melted too. Moreso on the left hand side.
Yah the pins for the cpu fan were fine. I brought the board into a local computer shop with the exact set up I had and they said they would have set it up the same way. They thought it was the VRM module that was faulty. Unless my local computer shop and I both suck. I think it was the board
Old June 10, 2013, 07:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Although it might have just been the motherboard, I would personally RMA the PSU as well and deem it faulty.

I know all to well that PSU's easily kill systems without you suspecting. I lost 2 sets of motherboards/CPUs until I arose at that conclusion.
Old June 15, 2013, 06:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Off topic, but all I could think about when I read that was an episode of family guy.
Haha so true
Old June 15, 2013, 09:05 PM
Rookie

i see the burn marks looks like it came from the vrm or the mosfet under the heatsink

Tags
motherboards , troubleshooting