Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2013, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There are clear signs of burning under the heatsink.

The part that was smoking was (most likely) part of the boards power delivery. I wouldn't worry too much, just get in contact with whoever you bought it off and or the manufacturer.

Describe what happened (don't say it's your first build) and ask for an RMA.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 9, 2013, 11:22 AM
Rookie

Yah I just was very concerned it was something I did. Since it is my first build I obviously thought it was.
Old June 9, 2013, 12:07 PM
Allstar

There's a small hint of burn mark in the first photo right by the heat sink. Isn't the voltage regulators under that heat sink?
Old June 9, 2013, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Photo definitely shows damage. RMA it. Hopefully no CPU damage.
Old June 9, 2013, 02:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

You could try taking the mobo out of the case and laying it on wood or something non-conductive, then power it up again

But if something is truly wrong, and not just some residue burning off (possible but I've never heard of it), now would be the bestand easiest time to send it back right to where you bought it for a replacement

But they will also probably test it themselves before sending 1 back. Where did you buy it?
Old June 9, 2013, 04:09 PM
Rookie

I purchased off of newegg. here are two more photos of the exact part on my mobo where the smoke and sparks were coming from. So there is nothing I could have done to cause this part to start sparking and practically start on fire. I don't even know what this part is. And the only thing I connected close to it was the cpu fan, and the 8pin 12v connector.

Old June 9, 2013, 04:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My brother (a master engineer to boot) did something very similar when he plugged the cpu fan in (forcibly) with the pin layout reversed. There can be a lot of amps running through that section of the motherboard.

My first guess is that the cpu fan was plugged in with the pins reversed.

My second guess is there was a screw or motherboard standoff in the wrong position under the board.

My third guess (and least likely with my experiences with MSI) is that "it just blew up". Faulty connection inside the board?

Either way, RMA it. No one was hurt, nothing was burnt down so it's all good.
Old June 9, 2013, 06:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Since its one of the VRM that looks like it burned out, I would say maybe you used the 8-pin PCIE power instead of the 8-pin EPS12V connector? They are very similar and with a bit of force, the PCIE power cable could fit in I believe.
Old June 9, 2013, 07:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Since its one of the VRM that looks like it burned out, I would say maybe you used the 8-pin PCIE power instead of the 8-pin EPS12V connector? They are very similar and with a bit of force, the PCIE power cable could fit in I believe.
I'm looking at the cables that were plugged in right now and I can confirm it was the eps12v. The pcie are clearly marked with the label on it. Good option though. I did almost do that ha.
Old June 9, 2013, 10:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you look @ the cpu fan header it looks partially melted too. Moreso on the left hand side.

Tags
motherboards , troubleshooting