Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2013, 08:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default FX-8350 vs 3770K for the future of gaming?

I currently run a Crosshair V Formula with a FX-8350 at 4.8GHz and is 24/7 rock-solid stable. I may have the opportunity to "upgrade" to a Maximus V Formula and 3770K soon depending on what the current owner decides. Undecided on what I will if given the chance, my dilemma is based on this.....

Both new gen consoles (PS4 and XBox One) as everyone knows are being built with AMD based x86 8 core processors and integrated graphics. Seeing how most games are ported from consoles to PC I believe that this makes the PC gaming future look pretty good. BUT... will AMD based gaming PC's come out on top in this or will Intel stay the reigning gaming CPU champion? I haven't read anything about any potential benefits so I'm just speculating.

What do you guys think?
Old June 5, 2013, 03:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Intel will stay top dog for quite some time unless AMD can pull something amazing out of the bag, and even then I think Intel will stay close and make up ground quickly.

That said, swapping from an 8350 to a 3770k? unless it's free (or VERY close to it) I wouldn't bother.
Old June 6, 2013, 05:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Intel will stay top dog for quite some time unless AMD can pull something amazing out of the bag, and even then I think Intel will stay close and make up ground quickly.

That said, swapping from an 8350 to a 3770k? unless it's free (or VERY close to it) I wouldn't bother.
What I meant was, "will an 8350 be better in the long run since future games may be specifically developed/optimized for it's architecture"..... not "will AMD come out with something new to beat Intel".

As for right now I have the hardware available for testing. I ran some quick and dirty benchmarks last night with my FX-8350. I ran 3DMark, Heaven 4.0, and took down some approximate fps numbers in a few games. Tonight I'm going to swap the Crosshair and 8350 for the Maximus and 3770. I'll see if I gain much performance with my 2x7970's and eyefinity setup. If the difference is huge I'll switch . If not then I'll stay put with AMD.
Old June 6, 2013, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think AMD having the consoles will affect CPU performance. Where I could see it making a difference is in graphics card technology, where AMD may have a leg up on Nvidia.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 6, 2013, 07:57 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The best thing about the new xbox is that it is using directx 11 and the x86 cpu. No real need to even port, just add keyboard/mouse support.

i'm sure they will optimize the games for amd gpu's. Might give them an advatage but the game devs will work with nVidia too.

Intel will still be faster as both cpu's use the same x86 architecture.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
The best thing about the new xbox is that it is using directx 11 and the x86 cpu. No real need to even port, just add keyboard/mouse support.

i'm sure they will optimize the games for amd gpu's. Might give them an advatage but the game devs will work with nVidia too.

AMD may try to force some of their own technology into upcoming game engines, such as OpenCL, for example, if that's applicable.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 6, 2013, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I don't think AMD having the consoles will affect CPU performance. Where I could see it making a difference is in graphics card technology, where AMD may have a leg up on Nvidia.
8 core consoles will make multithreading well pretty mandatory, bet that will mean a lot of 8 thread games which AMD is pretty competitive in...
Old June 6, 2013, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

This is why I'm HAPPY they didn't make the PS4 OR the Xbox One backwards compatible and moved from the powerpc architecture to x86.

I would love to see the day where most games use 4 cores as I haven't found a lot that do.I doubt you'd find much of a performance difference between the two gaming, more so when it comes to overclocking and benchmarking.

Wouldn't OpenGL make it so that games could run on Linux, potentially allowing us to get away from Windows as the only gaming OS?
Old June 6, 2013, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
8 core consoles will make multithreading well pretty mandatory, bet that will mean a lot of 8 thread games which AMD is pretty competitive in...
Ya, or it will mean that a lot more gamers will end up buying i7's. Which I'm not too unhappy about. I would love an i7, I just can't justify it since I technically have no use for it. Currently I'm only contemplating buying one for the increased 'bling' and folding performance. If I needed one to increase performance in multi-threaded games, I would do so in a heartbeat. AMD's chip currently wouldn't factor into my decision. It would be i7 all the way!

Old June 6, 2013, 09:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
These two points are exactly what has me wondering which one to use.