Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2013, 07:16 AM
Rookie

Default an update for Virtualizing on SM server from TAMs

ok guys,
it is confirmed that ESXi does not allow you to do pass-through on this board.
I have tried several setups going from the latest 5.1 to older one 4.0
nada,zip,no-go.

I do have hope for XenServer or Xen, as I have found some posters that say it might be possible.
I had to postpone my work on this for several weeks do to knee surgery and do not have anything useful to report yet. I did manage to setup XenServer 6.2 on it and with some help load an unRaid VM
here is the link to unRaid forum dealing with Unraid VM on Xen "http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28665.60"

also I have found several references that look promising regarding Pass-through on not 100% suporting hardware using Xen.
here are the link(s) :
1. Xen PCI Passthrough - Xen
2. XCP Ubuntu PCIPassthrough - Xen

my new build and progress can be found here "http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28671.0"
Old August 10, 2013, 12:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Finally got around to switching all the fans to these Arctic Cooling F8 80mm 2000 RPM. My ears are relieved.

Old vs new

Need to pry these tabs while pushing the fan out

Also need to cut these small ridges off to fit into the stock connectors

Pushing the connectors through the hole, then wrapping it up nicely. You will notice the SanAce fans have tabs to hold the connector in place in the housing. You will need to assist the F8 fans into the connectors when sliding them in place.

Installing the fans

Also replaced the rears

You can see I also removed the stock PSU distribution unit in favour of a normal ATX PSU. If I can get my hands on a cheap 80Plus Gold unit I'll swap it out.
Old August 12, 2013, 07:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Finally got around to switching all the fans to these Arctic Cooling F8 80mm 2000 RPM. My ears are relieved.

You can see I also removed the stock PSU distribution unit in favour of a normal ATX PSU. If I can get my hands on a cheap 80Plus Gold unit I'll swap it out.
I did practically the same thing with mine setup, sans the PSU mod.
I replaced the back wall fans with quite ones I got from local MicroCenter (80mm @ $3.00 each)
just pushed the connectors through and assist them into the socket. only issue was with one close to the PSU as there is not much room to work with(with stock PSU units).

I also replaced the fan wall (the whole wall is removed) with 3 120mm from mc @ $10.00 each string up using
zip ties. surprisingly enough, 3 120 mm fans fit the space perfectly.
of course if you do the PSU mod, you will not have the side mount at the PSU side anymore.
(FYI, I for 120mm fans I did not removed the bottom part of the fan wall, the part where cabels are threaded through. if you do the PSU mode and remove the bottom part too, you might be able to use 140mm fans)

I took out one of the 2 PSU modules.
so now the only noise I have is coming from the single PSU, which is tolerable for now.
if/when I will have a spare PSU I might do the mod, but for now it workable.
Old August 13, 2013, 03:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Might replace the wall with 3x140mm like you suggest. I recall another post on AVS a user had just ziptied and mashed it in there with cables holding them in place. The 80mm move enough air that I can feel it through the front, but I don't know if it can cope with 24 drives. Only will be filling half of that to start, but I am thinking ahead. More work now = less headaches later :)

The system 'idles' at about 109W from the wall with a stock single dual-core CPU and no drives on my HX620.

Planning on setting it up with a dummy HDD and see how Plex transcoding is handled.
Tempted to just rip everything out and drop a LGA2011 setup in there, but need to scrounge up some money.
Old August 14, 2013, 02:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Stock single CPU Opteron 2212HE 2GHz definitely not fast enough for even a single Plex client transcoding. CPU pegged at basically 100% for a single iPhone 5. Lots of buffering.
Old August 14, 2013, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Highly clocked quad core Opterons are very cheap on ebay, just make sure you have good cooling as they can put out quite the heat. Ebay item 221156057641 is a good example. On my board I had it updated to latest bios and used lowly clocked hexacores, the 2419s that were good for everything except gaming. I transcoded a DVD library of more than 100 DVDs with Handbrake and they were going at an average of 250 FPS. The 2419 Optis : ebay item no 221181947559.
Old August 17, 2013, 07:18 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up Passthrough on TAMs AMD opteron Hardware

Ok, it is confirmed ot some degree, that you CAN do the passthrogh on AMD based chassis form TAMs.

using Xen on Ubuntu it's possible.
uou can find some guidance here, but keep in mind this is still work in progress and there is some things need to be done "http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28878.0"

But I have successfully booted VM with passed thought SAS card (the one that comes with it)

you need to turn on IOMMU setting in the north bridge (I think). I set it to 128M

and under CPU setting make sure you have the SVN enabled (for both CPUs if you use both sockets).
when the we are done the forum I posted should have the full write up on how to setup Xen to passthrough the devices permanently. right now we use the script to do a temp setting.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Bump from the grave.

I finally ordered a cheap PWS-920P-1R off eBay so now I have to figure out how the heck to re-install the PSU back-plane connector, and disable the alert for having only one PSU.

Still not decided on the replacement CPU/mobo combo. Was originally planning on using an AMD FX/990 combo with ECC DDR3 but that fell through.

Also originally wanted to keep it was a combined server/HTPC like my existing setup, but now I am leaning towards keeping the file server separate, for no particularly good reason.