Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2013, 08:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
A lot of the reasons why clock speed hasnt ramped can be boiled down to the fact that frequency isnt the limiting factor in making things run faster. That sounds like a hypocrisy, but its not; Somewhere else is usually the bottleneck, and not at the 'processing' level due to speed. It is referred to as "Transmission Delay" (or at least that is how it was relayed to me ). This is why more cores started getting added. You can thus process more information in an equal time. For example, in perfect theory (and parallelism) it takes two cores at 2ghz to process the same amount of information as one core at 4ghz. This obviously doesnt take in to account a slew of factors that change this, but it gives a great idea.

In addition to that, there are also the physical limitations. Thermally, things get out of hand as clock speeds ramp up. Having transistors switch on and off (or going from 0v to 1v in real terms) takes time. Gate leakage in your transistors occurs. etc. Essentially we're limited by the properties of the silicon, and the laws of Physics.

The Prescott era processors were a great example of the problems with ramping clock speeds unduly, and the problems associated with it.
Good points, leakage was always and issue. You can only bulldoze so much into something in hopes of making it better but with that you ran into greater diminshing returns.

I do think Haswell will negate the bonuses I got with SB i5 2400, and prove to be a worthy successor.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 2, 2013, 06:13 AM
Top Prospect

I WANT MY 6GHZ ON AIR DAMNIT!

LOL :(
Old June 2, 2013, 06:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Ditto, sooo tempted.

Can't wait to see more on the overclocking (and the 4670k done too hopefully)

One thing I don't get is why you didn't include a 920 or even slightly older parts as I think these are the people that will be most likely to upgrade here?

I get you can't test everything and it add a butt load of work for every part you test against but I would have liked to have seen that much and the A series dropped when IGP wasn't being used.

Wasn't that an ASrock z87 fatality?
I think it's the OC Formula you guys are thinking of ASRock Runs Water On Mainboard - Z87 OC Formula Really Waterproof?

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old June 2, 2013, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is more of a meh cpu upgrade.

I think this is more for people with much older systems. If you have a 2600K I think you are fine for to wait for another generation. If you want a very high end gaming pc x79 is still the best choice due to have a lot more pcie lanes.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 2, 2013, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
This is more of a meh cpu upgrade.

I think this is more for people with much older systems. If you have a 2600K I think you are fine for to wait for another generation. If you want a very high end gaming pc x79 is still the best choice due to have a lot more pcie lanes.
Yea, I was hoping that maybe it would be a bit more but like you said there really isn't reason enough to upgrade now. I think I will have to wait until IB-E comes out or maybe even put it all off until Haswell-E and the 800 series. But damn I do want to upgrade the 580's.

Old June 2, 2013, 12:08 PM
Rookie

Hello.

For those who wonder how well Iris GPU can do, Anandtech got testing system from Intel with mobile chip:
AnandTech | Intel Iris Pro 5200 Graphics Review: Core i7-4950HQ Tested

(Currently not aware of anybody else having it.)
Old June 2, 2013, 01:20 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yay. $645 chip compared against $199 competition.
Old June 2, 2013, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yay. $645 chip compared against $199 competition.
I don't think there are that many other CPU/IGPs out there at that price point. (Also I think this answers why we won't see it in regular non-BGA CPUs) Since nobody anybody but Intel, knows cost of that chip. (Or so far didn't say. Didn't see anything even from D. Kanter)

Anyway, I am pretty sure that this chip is aimed at EliteBook-class of devices. (My current Elitebook has i5-3360M, which was lowest model - ARK | Intel® Core? i5-3360M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz))
Something similar to 8540w with i7-3840QM... (Price of that CPU according to ARK is 568. ARK | Intel® Core? i7-3840QM Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz))
Old June 2, 2013, 02:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
I don't think there are that many other CPU/IGPs out there at that price point. (Also I think this answers why we won't see it in regular non-BGA CPUs) Since nobody anybody but Intel, knows cost of that chip. (Or so far didn't say. Didn't see anything even from D. Kanter)

Anyway, I am pretty sure that this chip is aimed at EliteBook-class of devices. (My current Elitebook has i5-3360M, which was lowest model - ARK | Intel® Core? i5-3360M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz))
Something similar to 8540w with i7-3840QM... (Price of that CPU according to ARK is 568. ARK | Intel® Core? i7-3840QM Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz))
Actually, I'm quite sure it's targeted towards people who spend $2500+ on a fully-equipped MacBook Pro because adding that CPU to any other system would push it into another price level completely. I'm an EliteBook user and I have absolutely no interest in Iris since Intel's professional OpenGL support continues to be a standing joke among professionals.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Actually, I'm quite sure it's targeted towards people who spend $2500+ on a fully-equipped MacBook Pro because adding that CPU to any other system would push it into another price level completely. I'm an EliteBook user and I have absolutely no interest in Iris since Intel's professional OpenGL support continues to be a standing joke among professionals.
Does it apply even to new IGP? Not that I would know. (Generally not even close to OpenGL, so this misses me completely. At least for now.)