Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2013, 09:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Need help picking the right mobo

Hey there HWC!

Hope everyone is having a stellar evening.

I'm looking for some suggestions on a motherboard for a new build I am going to be working on.
It's based around the i7-3770k (I will be OCing it to 4.5+GHz) and the GeForce GTX 770 (possibly SLI).
Looking at either a Noctua CPU cooler, or maybe even liquid cooling, still not fully sold on that..

I have a few boards in mind, but I'm looking for opinions between them (or possibly something I've missed).

ASUS Maximus V Formula

Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH

MSI Z77 Mpower

MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3

These are the big contenders so far. And right now I'm leaning towards the MSI GD65 Gaming (Dragons are awesome).

So.. any form of advice or input is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to have this all built within the next month.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Risk; May 30, 2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What exactly are you looking for in a mobo? You have a pretty wide price-range selected.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hmm.. this is strange.
I posted, but for some reason the original post is gone??
I'm confused as to what happened..

Anyways, as for what I'm looking for..
I would like something that would be able to handle SLI, 32GB memory, great cooling system on the chipset.

But for the most part, just all around great reliability. I'm currently running an Asus Rampage Formula, which is going on 7 years.
Not quite else I should be looking for. Just something that doesn't suck.

EDIT: For those who take a look at the original post isn't showing, I'm looking for a z77 based motherboard so I can push an i7-3770k to 4.5+GHz, possibly liquid cooling (if not a Noctua cooler for sure).
Old May 30, 2013, 11:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You've run into a bug in vBulletin that makes the original post disappear if it's edited while in moderation. I've copied the original below, hopefully everyone can see that.

Quote:
Hey there HWC!

Hope everyone is having a stellar evening.

I'm looking for some suggestions on a motherboard for a new build I am going to be working on.
It's based around the i7-3770k (I will be OCing it to 4.5+GHz) and the GeForce GTX 770 (possibly SLI).
Looking at either a Noctua CPU cooler, or maybe even liquid cooling, still not fully sold on that..

I have a few boards in mind, but I'm looking for opinions between them (or possibly something I've missed).

ASUS Maximus V Formula

Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH

MSI Z77 Mpower

MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3

These are the big contenders so far. And right now I'm leaning towards the MSI GD65 Gaming (Dragons are awesome).

So.. any form of advice or input is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to have this all built within the next month.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 31, 2013, 01:42 AM
MVP

What are you doing with them? You need to be way more specific as they all qualify for your needs.

None of them "suck."
You can push 4.5+ghz on all of those boards, as well as lot of other boards that cost much less.

You might as well just flip a coin or go with your Asus.
Old May 31, 2013, 04:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wait and see for Haswell? I think there will be a review here by the end of the week (first week of June).
Old May 31, 2013, 12:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would wait for Haswell. It comes out next week and pricing will be similar to Ivy.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would also wait for Haswell, unless you already have the cpu. All of the boards you listed are good but maybe have a look at the Z77 Sabertooth as well. Very stable and overclocks well, plus has a very good warranty depending on how long you plan on keeping it.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

He already has a 3770k.
Old May 31, 2013, 08:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

@SugarJ Thank you very much for posting/fixing my original post. Never realized it was a bug.

To everyone else, thanks for the replies. I would have waited on Haswell, if I didn't already have the 3770k. So a z77 board is what I'm after.
I don't really know what I'm looking for in a motherboard. I've just been reading review sites like crazy and those seem to be some of the most viable boards that people keep using for top picks.
Aside from that new MSI GD65-Gaming board, I haven't really found anything on that one. All of the other boards are $250-300, but that one is under $200.

I'm currently running the Asus Rampage Formula, and prior to that was some Abit mobo with a Via chipset. It's been a while since I've built a rig, so I'm a little behind the times of which manufacturers are good.
I may turn this into a major custom mod project, still deciding on that one.