Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2013, 07:25 PM
Rookie

Default APU vs Intel HD Graphics

Evening Canucks!

I was doing some research and deciding between a budget build between an AMD FX-8350 or an Intel i7 3570(K).

I was pretty settled for the AMD FX-8350 based on Googling around Price vs Performance and I even found on youtube that the 8350 actually beats the i7 when multitasking resource heavy applications (such as the 8350 outperforming the i7 when streaming/recording 720p high-end games, source: AMD FX 8350 vs Intel 3570K vs 3770K vs 3820 - Gaming and XSplit Streaming Benchmarks - YouTube)

I've then did some research on AMD's APUs, and then that's when things got a bit messy and I was getting mixed messages.

What benefit does an APU (and I'm assuming Intel's HD Graphics is its equivalent rival) give?

When doing everyday tasks such as software development or watching media I assume an APU is better? Or is that entirely false? Do integrated graphics give any benefit at all when using graphics heavy applications or gaming?

Cheers and thanks for reading!

- Joe
Old May 8, 2013, 11:20 PM
MVP

Are you using a dedicated video card?
If you are, ignore APUs and integrated graphics. They're meant for low budget systems.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the APU's have their attractive points

it's basically a cpu with built-in graphics, just like intel sandy bridge and ivy bridge cpu's have builtin/onchip intel hd graphics

the difference, is amd's APU's graphics capabilities are quite a bit more capable, but the cpu's are no where near. Depending on the application, the AMD APU's might offer a good balance for what you need

we would need to know what you're looking to get out of the system to really help with the decision. and as mentioned above, it helps to know if you have a dedicated videocard, because if you do, the APU is pointless to a degree
Old May 9, 2013, 07:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

After lots of back and forth last fall I ended up going for an APU (the AMD A10-5800K) and later added the HD6670 that is is designed to be paired with for improved performance.
In retrospect the APU is a budget based "good enough" chip that will provide more than adequate performance for most applications. I do run games like Dirt3, NFS Shift2 and flightsims like X-Plane 10 and have no problems. It does not deliver mind blowing FPS but 30-40 is 'good enough' for game play. If you are a die hard gamer you probably want to go with a higher end chip and card. If you want a build that will costs hundreds less then the APU delivers "good enough" performance. There are many reviews of the A10 on the market. I also see they are now throwing in SimCity and if your not in a hurry the next generation of the AMD APU's have been announced - I think they will be out by the summer. I checked the promised performance increases are modest so if you want it now I would not recommend waiting.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old May 9, 2013, 07:22 AM
Top Prospect

APU is very attractive. You can build into a gameing rig with an APU. Most high end APU boards come with virtu MVP now, which mean when you get anther video card whether it be nvidia or amd you will get a boost in performance from the APU. The most interesting thing is in the future APU will be much faster as the gpu cores will be able to take work loads from the CPU cores sharing the same memory. At the moment if you are using programs that use OpenGL the APU will be you best bet.

If you are willing to wait for the next gen apu's you will get the best bang for your money as the gpu cores will greatly increase the performance of the APU.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

APU blows intel's integrated graphics outta the water on things that are graphically intensive. Both the 8350 and the 3570 destroy the APU's CPU capability, and will destroy its graphics capability with a low end video card.

BTW the 3570 is an i5 not an i7.

The 8350 is my choice, but that's just because I like having a cpu upgrade path. The next two AMD cpu will be compatible with the am3+ socket. The 990 chipset is also a feature rich chipset for the money. I decided to buy the best (at the time) 990fx motherboard with the idea of upgrading the cpu (fx8150 right now) in a couple years, so i'm AMD biased. Also I believe (foolishly) that more game developers will code for 8+ cores. The idea of parallel computing appeals to me.

The 3570 is a better CPU for a lot of really great titles that I own, but do not play anymore. It also has TRIM support for SSD raid arrays. Core per core it beats up the 8350.
Old May 9, 2013, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One of my systems has the Intel i3-3225 with the HD4000 Graphics like the 3570k. If it is any indication, it can play any media I want with no stuttering whatsoever, in Windows 8 gives 6.2 for the Experience Index while a GT430 gives 6.4. I can play NFSHP2010 at 1280x720 fluent, with no shadows applied, once you start to apply them begins to choke. The GT430 plays the same game fine at 1920x1080 also with no shadows, once you start applying them same choking happens. Intel CPUs are also a lot more energy efficient than AMD CPUs.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

FYI - just ran Win7 Experience rating, 7.0 out of 7.9, not bad for a budget system eh?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old May 10, 2013, 08:34 AM
Rookie

Thanks everyone for your replies, I've learned a great deal!

I've decided to go with an FX8350 with a 990fxa-ud3 for now as I'll have a very strong dedicated GPU.