Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2013, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Bent pins? Really? While its possible its quite difficult to do this. Your best bet is to pop out the cpu and inspect it before going all crazy. Take a picture even for others to look at.

If the system is posting and getting past the BIOS screen I would guarantee that bent pins is not your issue.

What you need to do is unplug EVERYTHING plugged into the motherboard that isn't essential; usb headers etc. Did you install the I/O plate properly? Some I/O plates have metal tabs that can end up inside the I/O ports and cause random shorts.

Start with the basics and work your way up.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

have you tried installing windows 7? No offence but windows 8 is a bit of a joke right now.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What do you mean by windows start screen? Can i have a pic? Windows installation start screen? Or the black screen with windows logo.

Try with windows 7 and do this with your drives

1.Boot up Windows 7 disc.
2.When the welcome screen comes up on Windows Setup, press Shift + F10, which will display a command prompt.
3.Type "diskpart" (no quotes) and press enter.
4.Type "list disk" and press enter.
5.Hopefully you can see your SSD in the list. You should see a number identifying it. Now type "select disk X" (where X is the number identifying your SSD) and press enter.

This can fix detection or installation bugs if the disks are not 100% empty, or corrupted even a new SSD,you may have to do that before and i heard that it fixed installation bugs... But i don't think it will fix ur problem,you can always try

Or your windows disks are dead.

Sounds like windows makes a bad install...

But the mouse blinking may a motherboard problem (USB power)

Last edited by bliz; April 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Take a DEEP breath. Here's the fun part of building your own system. Since we dont know if its a hardware or software problem (im leaning towards hardware) you need to check all possibilities.

Boot with a linux CD; this will tell you right away if its Windows at fault or not. Now i have to say this sounds similar to what happened to me with an unstable overclock. Are you doing any overclocking at all? Probably worth a shot to reset bios to defaults. If thats a no go then you need to start testing your hardware bit by bit. Do you have access to another working PC to test each component? Try booting with only the essentials plugged in - remove all extra drives, peripherals, cards, etc. that don't need to be there.

Something similar also happened to me with a bad SATA cable, so its its important that you re-verify your build.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
Take a DEEP breath. Here's the fun part of building your own system. Since we dont know if its a hardware or software problem (im leaning towards hardware) you need to check all possibilities.

Boot with a linux CD; this will tell you right away if its Windows at fault or not. Now i have to say this sounds similar to what happened to me with an unstable overclock. Are you doing any overclocking at all? Probably worth a shot to reset bios to defaults. If thats a no go then you need to start testing your hardware bit by bit. Do you have access to another working PC to test each component? Try booting with only the essentials plugged in - remove all extra drives, peripherals, cards, etc. that don't need to be there.

Something similar also happened to me with a bad SATA cable, so its its important that you re-verify your build.
Good point about the SATA cable, too.

Try switching out the SATA cable used with your boot drive.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old April 25, 2013, 12:43 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What did CPUID say re CPU Vcore voltage? I really think you system is just not stable, since it does run for a little while before going out. What did CPUID say about cpu temp and the video card temp? Do you have another video card to try?

Regarding bent pins. It is easy to accidentally bent the pins. I did it when I re-applied the thermal paste. Put the cpu on and was careless, and bent a lot of pins. I used a magnifying glass, and a small round pin (about the size of a paper clips that you can handle easily without dropping it. I had one of those poking needle thing from a dissecting set with a slight hook, and with a handle to hold on.), Carefully pushed the bent pins back to align with others in the matrix. If the bent pin is push under, you need to lift it. Not a difficult job, just tedious, and be thorough.
Well CPUID says its 44 45 46... its below 50... when in normal use...
Old April 25, 2013, 12:53 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
SOL = Shit outta luck
oh hehe ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
so can you even load any live OS even Ubuntu it could even be something as simple as a bad Disk that you are using I know that for some reason or other that if a person is using a Burned disk that has pretty much any windows version on it and the Disk was burned at the fasted speed tha tfor some stupid reason it can and most likely will mess the disk up and cause problems when trying to install the Operating system, I have seen that happen allot and it always seem to happen with a Microsoft OS I have never seen it happen on any Linux or other OS which is why I suggested trying a live cd like linux , any " Live" Operating system that will load up , hell even try hirens boot disk if I remember it has differnt tests on it.
the important thing is to see if a live Opeerating system will boot up if it does them it most likely is the windows disk or USB that you are using.
where can i get a live cd for ubuntu???
Old April 25, 2013, 01:00 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Bent pins? Really? While its possible its quite difficult to do this. Your best bet is to pop out the cpu and inspect it before going all crazy. Take a picture even for others to look at.

If the system is posting and getting past the BIOS screen I would guarantee that bent pins is not your issue.

What you need to do is unplug EVERYTHING plugged into the motherboard that isn't essential; usb headers etc. Did you install the I/O plate properly? Some I/O plates have metal tabs that can end up inside the I/O ports and cause random shorts.

Start with the basics and work your way up.
ya its getting past bios no problem and even goes into desktop fine too but sometimes it gets stuck on starting windows screen...

io plate is fine.. okay will check everything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
have you tried installing windows 7? No offence but windows 8 is a bit of a joke right now.
ya i like windows 7 more than 8.. so i tried windows 7 many times and since it failed i tired with windows 8 but still the same problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
What do you mean by windows start screen? Can i have a pic? Windows installation start screen? Or the black screen with windows logo.

Try with windows 7 and do this with your drives

1.Boot up Windows 7 disc.
2.When the welcome screen comes up on Windows Setup, press Shift + F10, which will display a command prompt.
3.Type "diskpart" (no quotes) and press enter.
4.Type "list disk" and press enter.
5.Hopefully you can see your SSD in the list. You should see a number identifying it. Now type "select disk X" (where X is the number identifying your SSD) and press enter.

This can fix detection or installation bugs if the disks are not 100% empty, or corrupted even a new SSD,you may have to do that before and i heard that it fixed installation bugs... But i don't think it will fix ur problem,you can always try

Or your windows disks are dead.

Sounds like windows makes a bad install...

But the mouse blinking may a motherboard problem (USB power)
ya.. the black screen where the windows logo comes and below it it will be written starting windows..

tried the diskpart thing already ... still the problem is there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post

where can i get a good linux live cd... no i didnt do any overclocking...
well no i dont have another pc with me...
hmm okay will check the sata cables...

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Good point about the SATA cable, too.

Try switching out the SATA cable used with your boot drive.
ok will do...
Old April 25, 2013, 01:01 AM
Top Prospect

guys i just tried something else...

went into bios disabled bluetooth, asmedia usb 3.0, asmedia storage controller... and enable fast boot and change the usb utilization to fully utilized.. and went with windows 7 installation on the SSD.. and this time shockingly everything installed fine... and it went in to desktop after a couple of restarts.. after that i tried to restart a few times and it went in fine... the 4 coloured ball comes together to form the windows 7 logo during the starting windows screen was sooo smooth...

so then i went into bios again and enables bluetooth.. restarted and it went in fine... so i again went into bios and enabled asmedia usb 3.0 controller and it went in fine but the 4 colored balls forming the windows 7 logo during starting windows had a small stuttering.. but it went in fine... so i then enabled asmedia storage controller.. and this time there was the same stuttering and it went into the login screen.. and suddenly a BSOD came and it restarted automatically.. so i went in bios again and disabled asmedia storage controller... and this time it went in fine... tried restarting a few time and it was fine...

and now i tried the 1tb hdd with the windows 7 to boot.. and it aslo came in fine...

i think the asmedia storage controller is the problem... i think disabling it fixed the problem.. what do u think?? but still i want to test for one more day and confirm that the problem is not there...

Thank u sooo much for helping me fix it... you guys saved me.. Thanks everyone.. ^_^
Old April 25, 2013, 05:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaoran7li View Post
guys i just tried something else...

went into bios disabled bluetooth, asmedia usb 3.0, asmedia storage controller... and enable fast boot and change the usb utilization to fully utilized.. and went with windows 7 installation on the SSD.. and this time shockingly everything installed fine... and it went in to desktop after a couple of restarts.. after that i tried to restart a few times and it went in fine... the 4 coloured ball comes together to form the windows 7 logo during the starting windows screen was sooo smooth...

so then i went into bios again and enables bluetooth.. restarted and it went in fine... so i again went into bios and enabled asmedia usb 3.0 controller and it went in fine but the 4 colored balls forming the windows 7 logo during starting windows had a small stuttering.. but it went in fine... so i then enabled asmedia storage controller.. and this time there was the same stuttering and it went into the login screen.. and suddenly a BSOD came and it restarted automatically.. so i went in bios again and disabled asmedia storage controller... and this time it went in fine... tried restarting a few time and it was fine...

and now i tried the 1tb hdd with the windows 7 to boot.. and it aslo came in fine...

i think the asmedia storage controller is the problem... i think disabling it fixed the problem.. what do u think?? but still i want to test for one more day and confirm that the problem is not there...

Thank u sooo much for helping me fix it... you guys saved me.. Thanks everyone.. ^_^
Do you have anything connected to the asmedia controller? Sounds like either what is connected has issues or the controller itself is faulty.