Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2007, 07:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default New PSU? or an Adapter?

I just purchases some (BUDGET) upgrades (mentioned in a thread below) and have one other question about a Power Supply.

My new Mobo needs a 24Pin power Supply to it. Intel Pentium D 915 Processor (2.8ghz, 4 megs cache, 800mhz fsb). I will likely attempt to give it a mild - moderate over clocking.

My current Power Supply has a 20 Pin cable for the Mobo, and a seperate P-4 4 pin. It claims to be 400 Watts. I can clearly see the specs and will post specific amperage and voltage if requested.

I do not want to have my old power supply hold me back from obtaining performance, and deffinately to not want it to limit the life span of my hard ware (not sure if thats realistic or not).

I am trying to keep costs down, but know that if I am better off spending the money I will do so.

Should I purchase a new PSU?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...7&sku=ULT31845

The price of this one seems reasonable. Would this be a good choice for my needs? (My computer does lots of multitasking, but no MAJOR work or gaming).

I am open any suggestions of course.

Also my next hard drive will be an SATA Hdd. I do not currently have an power for an SATA drive. Also I currently have a 30 gig Drive (windows) and a 120WD with 8 meg cache for storage. I will be purchasing another hard drive in the distant future.

Is it possibly for me to use my current PSU to power my current fans and drives, and a new PSU to similtaniously power the mainboard and eventually SATA devices?

I am sure I could easily solder up connections to make them power on similtaniously, but I thought I should check incase this is a BAD idea (or un-nescisary).

ALSO I have addequit space for 2 PSU's in my case and can easily install both (and allow proper ventilation)

Thanks for the help :)

Matty
Old March 16, 2007, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can hold off for a week or so SKTMYL's 500w PSU round up should be out.
Here is his budget PSU review, should help with a decision.
I believe he is reviewing that PSU, I'm sure he will post in here sooner or later if not shoot him a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 16, 2007, 08:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I do believe that I can hold off while waiting for the review :)

Is it pheasable to run dual PSU's for the purpose which I mentioned? Is it safe / stable / bennificial?

Thanks for the good read, and heads up for the up-comming article :)
Old March 17, 2007, 11:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's possible, but probably a PITA (normally done for big rigs with a PSU controller to turn on the second PSU in conjunction with the main PSU) for the application you're planning.

To run a second PSU without a proper controller you would need to jumper the green wire w/ one of the black ground wires (on the 20/24 pin plug) and then turn it on/off with the main power switch (or plug it into a powerbar with a switch).

Are you sure that the board will not run off of a 20 pin PSU until you can drop some coin on a newer model? (I've had several mobos that strongly recommended a 24 pin PSU, yet had no problems running off of a 20 pin).

What area of the country are you in? If you're down this way I might be able to help you out.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 17, 2007, 11:30 AM
Top Prospect

most mobo's with a 24 pin connector will run with a 20 pin just fine. no, you do not need some fancy psu turner-on/off. all they do is connect the the green and black wire from the psu hooked to the mobo, to the second one. when you hit the power button on the pc, both turn on. its not that complicated, at all.
Old March 17, 2007, 11:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yup, I'm aiming for mid mext week for it to be finished. The easy part is the testing....the tough part is the write-up.
Old March 17, 2007, 02:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I look forward to reading it :)

Thanks for the info guys.

Thanks for the write ups SKYMTL