Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2013, 08:49 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Detailing Richlandís Dual Graphics & GCN Compatibility (Comment Thread)

Considering their architectural differences, AMD's VLIW4-based Richland APUs and the Sea Islands' HD 8000M series may seem like strange bedfellows. However, AMD has somehow allowed them to work together in Dual Graphics mode in order to enhance graphics performance.

Read more here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...atibility.html
Old March 12, 2013, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm still waiting for that day when CPU power is increased by 40% instead of the graphics.
Old March 13, 2013, 05:38 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Unfortunately, changing an architectural direction isn't easy. Piledriver and Steamroller don't feature support for legacy instruction sets which means they suffer in some of today's most utilized programs. Had those instruction sets been retained, we would be facing a very different scenario.

Moving away from this approach will likely take years.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I'm still waiting for that day when CPU power is increased by 40% instead of the graphics.
It's not so much CPU power, as it is performance per watt. This is the metric by which most chips, especially mobile versions will be measured. How much work can you do with a certain battery capacity.

This translates over to the desktop side, as the less power consumed by a chip, the less heat output, and the quieter the PC.

Case in Point, for all intents and purposes, the 8350 matches the 3570K in gaming performance (it's a little lower, but not by a whole lot). However it uses almost three times as much power, and outputs that much more heat. The cooling solution attached to that chip has to work three times as hard to keep the chip cool, therefore creating more noise.

Back to the mobile and APU side, if AMD can combine decent CPU processing power, and mid-level graphics power on one chip, while keeping powerconsumption and heat output low, they'll have a real winner on their hands. I think they're well on their way in that respect.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 14, 2013, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
It's not so much CPU power, as it is performance per watt. This is the metric by which most chips, especially mobile versions will be measured. How much work can you do with a certain battery capacity.

This translates over to the desktop side, as the less power consumed by a chip, the less heat output, and the quieter the PC.

Case in Point, for all intents and purposes, the 8350 matches the 3570K in gaming performance (it's a little lower, but not by a whole lot). However it uses almost three times as much power, and outputs that much more heat. The cooling solution attached to that chip has to work three times as hard to keep the chip cool, therefore creating more noise.

Back to the mobile and APU side, if AMD can combine decent CPU processing power, and mid-level graphics power on one chip, while keeping powerconsumption and heat output low, they'll have a real winner on their hands. I think they're well on their way in that respect.
I realize that however, at this point I feel the only thing that holds AMD offerings back is the lack of CPU power. For example in many games similarly priced intel processors beat out AMD's APUs. APU's are much stronger with respect to their graphics side however framerates are held back by the CPU.

Until more programs utilize the extra cores AMD offers over Intel in their mid range mobile processors I still feel Intel will continue to be a winner unless AMD can step up in the CPU game. Intel is definitely stepping up their graphics game and I feel AMD will have to step up their CPU power to keep up while maintaining a good performance per watt ratio.