Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2013, 04:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I'm sold on Qnap products.
Would you ever consider a NAS instead in replacement of your server? In other words, if you had to replace yours would you build another server or move to a good NAS and why?
Old April 3, 2013, 06:17 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If it were to only serve the purpose of a data server, yup - definitely. They are fast (dual gigabit LANs), efficient (auto-shutdown), damn small, Raid 5 & 6 availability with hot spare, very silent and easy GUI setups. Everything that my Raid 6 array / server has.

Except in my case the possibility to control 4 printers (Wife's business). She could manage with 2, but even then I have not found a NAS that can control 2 printers at once.

I have a Qnap TS-412 as a back-up to my server (Raid 5 array, 4 disks) and it's perfect.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yeah, maintaining a full blown nix/win rig to host files is a major P.I.T.A. Qnap is worth every penny... if i need something on the cheap I go netgear instead (D-Link DNS units are utter crap). Never saw a drobo in action <?>

Something about the Synology GUI drives me crazy mad... hate it.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
What is the G555 performance in regards to ripping Blu-Rays?
Ripping as per se is just copying the files from the disc to the HDD so the CPU speed says nothing here, breaking the encrypted protection can be done with AnyDVD HD. The massive task you need CPU power for is the encoding after. Also managing an iso image that has 40GB (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had 43GB and I was using RipBOT264 at that time) is a grueling task for the HDD so a RAID array helps a lot. I hear you want to use RAID 0+1, I would suggest you use RAID 5 for multipurpose (ripping blurays and storing). Ripping Blurays was something 5 years ago, but with the advent of torrents nowadays, I just download them at max quality if I want to.
You might want to have a look at this guide also : The Hassle-Free Guide to Ripping Your Blu-Ray Collection
Old April 4, 2013, 09:32 AM

My System Specs

Have you looked in to FreeNAS at all? Setup is rather easy. XFS + RAIDZ is in my opinion a better solution than RAID5/6.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:09 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Have you looked in to FreeNAS at all? Setup is rather easy. XFS + RAIDZ is in my opinion a better solution than RAID5/6.
No I haven't. Know nothing of them either. I am completely stumped on whether to go with a Win 8, Windows Server Essentials 2012 or a NAS as a file server.

What is XFS + RAIDZ?

My "must have's" for the file server would be:
  1. The ablity to team my LANs to have a min of ~2Gps transfer speeds.
  2. Dropbox like functionality. Want to be able to have a folder or mapped drive of sorts so that everything on the file server appears and acts like its on my local drive regardless if I am at work or home.
  3. Scalability. Either USB3.0 or eSata or whatever, just don't want to fill the server in a few years and then realize I have to buy an entire new setup to add addtional space.
  4. RAID for increased read/write performance.
  5. With both Macs and PC's
  6. Access stored data by my iPhone or iPad.
  7. Be able to back up the file server to CrashPlan.
The "would love to have's":
  1. 10GbE connection now or the ability to "upgrade" it later. (Having CAT6A run in my walls)
  2. Expandable RAM
  3. mSATA SSD Cache

Last edited by p3t3rson; April 4, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:56 AM

My System Specs

Teaming generally will not get you more than 115MB/s of actual throughput. Not with a single user accessing the NAS. At least not from my testing. Which is why I am using Win 8, SMB 3.0 makes it easy. But if you are still using Apple computers I would say skip on using a Windows based server. The reason I got rid of my iMac was because SMB never ever worked properly.

XFS is a file system. And RAIDZ is a RAID-like parity solution. https://blogs.oracle.com/ahl/entry/what_is_raid_z

FreeNAS does support NIC teaming and 10GBASE-T as well.
Old April 4, 2013, 11:25 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Thanks Lowfat that helps.

If I created a Win 8 file server is there a way for that file server to show up as a folder or a drive on other computers like Dropbox does? And how could you access your Win 8 file server with your iPad?
Old April 4, 2013, 11:41 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3t3rson View Post
Thanks Lowfat that helps.

If I created a Win 8 file server is there a way for that file server to show up as a folder or a drive on other computers like Dropbox does?
I share the storage pool on my server. Then map it as a shared drive on my other computers. I do not know if it is possible to map it to a folder instead somehow.

Quote:
And how could you access your Win 8 file server with your iPad?
What would you want to access? I have been able to install XBMC and was able to stream to the iPad from my server, although I found it rather pointless.
Old April 4, 2013, 12:01 PM
Allstar

Do you want to host VMs? or run VMs on your server? depending on that would determine what you are running. ESX, Citrix, or Windows Server for VM environment. If all you want to do is host VMs I would suggest a separate network for your VM network as well as a separate array for your VMs. Network traffic with VMs is high and susceptible to almost anything.

If you want expandability I would suggest buying a RAID card with enough expansion for your needs. port replicators are crap for your speed wants.

For your own or anyone elses notes, CAT5e fully supports 10Gbit, its only the range that differs between the two. So anyone running older cable you don't have to rip out your old cable if length is within spec.

Tags
cpu , intel , server , windows