Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2008, 06:18 PM
Rookie

Default What do I need for what I want?

Hi all, just stumbled across this forum and am excited to now be part of it! Greetings from the East Coast!

Anyways, I've built 2 PC's before and am now looking to build my 3rd. To be honest, I don't think I knew what I was doing on the first two. Anyways, I am the type of person to have a computer and sell it in 3 months, so I'd like a system that meets my demands and is semi-future proof. So here is what I'd like to do with it.

I plan on playing Age of Conan. The suggested requirements are: Core 2 Duo E6600 or equivalent, 2.4 Ghz, 2gb ram, 512 MB DirectX 9.0c Graphics Card with Shader 3.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or equivalent). So that is the only game I plan on playing, and where it is an online MMO, I'm not sure what is important. Should I get SLi, or would a game like this not need it and should I put the extra money into ram?

I am also a musician and do a lot of computer recording. Therefore, a firewire port would be ideal. On the side I do some video editing, mainly for music videos, so nothing insanely demanding, mainly live shoots and stuff.

Other than that, the only thing I use the computer for is email, chat, typing, etc.

Therefore, my question is, what do you think I need/don't need? Mainly, what are your thoughts on SLi, should I get something with DDR3 capability. 1066 or 1333 FSB?, etc, etc.

Any help would be appreciated as my main concern is being able to play AoC. Lastly, I have a budget. I have a DvD-drive and HD, so all I need is a Tower w/PS, Mobo/CPU and Ram. Thanks in advance all!
Old April 24, 2008, 06:24 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Firstly, I think DDR3 would be overkill for what you need and would also take up too much of your budget. DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 will work just fine and save you lots of money.

As for future proofing, buy an SLI/Crossfire motherboard and One video card that can Sli'd or crossfire'd. Ex: 3870. This way, you get DX10 right away, and if you wanna sell it to someone, you can tell them they can always get a second 3870 for added performance and futureproofing without breaking the bank.

Just a couple ideas! hehe.
Old April 24, 2008, 06:34 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply! That's good to know about the DDR3 as it is super expensive. Also, I prefer Intel and nVidia as I've experienced problems with AMD and ATI. Also, a mobo with 4 DIMM slots would be nice. Based on this, can anyone recommend a decent mobo? That is my problem I guess, I'm not sure which motherboard would be best or work just fine for what I'm looking for. Ideally, as mentioned I would like:

4 DIMM Slots (DDR2 800mhz capability)
SLi Capability
Intel (1333 FSB preferred)
Ability to take a good sound card
Firewire

That's about it I guess. There are just so many names and models to choose from...
Old April 24, 2008, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

whats your budget?

simple solution is
MB: gigabyte DS3L, the P5KE is also a killer P35 board fro simple ocing on new chips and cards. For more money go for an X38 maximus.
RAM: Ramwise the 2*2 gb Mushkin REDLINE DDR2 1000 is a great deal.
GPU: I really like the new GTS or GTX cards-GREAT value lots of overclocking potential. CPUwise: TheE6750 is a great midrange gaming chip thats very overclockable-otherwise the E8400 is the way to go if you want to spend a bit more.
cooling: Plus save some money for a TRU-X aircooler which will help you a lot.
Case: The CM690 is the best bet for a tower and id go for a corsair 620watt psu (great value).

I reckon you could put it all together for about $900

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old April 24, 2008, 07:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would think that the multi-tasking environment of your audio & video editing would benefit from a quad core.

If you're on a budget, a Q6600 can easily be brought up to 3.2 on air, but if you're not on a budget one of the quad core 1333 chips would be nice... :)

4G worth of memory might also make a difference to your secondary pursuits, although not quite as big of a difference as a quad vrs a duo.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 25, 2008, 07:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I played the Age of Conan beta on two of my machines.. both are similar in gear, I -highly- suggest you try and get 4gb of memory if AoC is what you plan to play with it.

I know that the suggested requirements say 1-2gb but believe me, I noticed an enormous difference on a 4gb system.. I would say get an 8800 because the 9600GT card I had wasn't bad but it didn't cut it like my 8800GT Akimbo at all (on a 22" LCD")
Old April 25, 2008, 09:21 AM
Rookie

Thanks again everyone. Based on the replies, I suppose a question that I still can't seen to find an answer to, is what is important for an online MMO. In other words, what really plays a role in order to reduce lag. From what I believe it is a combination of the Internet Speed, Video Card and Ram. Does the processor have anything to do with the online games?
Old April 25, 2008, 10:29 AM
MVP

When playing an MMO and doing a lot of audio/video encoding, you could use a good CPU and lots of RAM. Perhaps getting a Q6600 or Q9300 will be better. For video card, you should be fine with an 8800GT, a 9600GT, or a Radeon 3870.

It's hard to recommend without the budget.
Old April 25, 2008, 10:44 AM
Rookie

Sorry, I kept forgetting to put my budget... I'd say probably a maximum of $600-$800, keep in mind I have a HD too. I MAY be able to spare a few more dollars, but ideally I'd like to keep it in this price range.