Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2013, 02:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default 775 Motherboard is giving BSODs. Replacement Ideas Needed

Hi everybody!

So my ASUS P5N-T Deluxe has been giving me problems lately. If i am watching a video and move ~ 2Gb of stuff between drives. My computer freezes and says something along the line of:

Hardware malfunction, please contact your hardware vendor.

so i checked my ram and its fine, so are my drives, so i believe its my motherboard.

Now heres the restraint from changing to a higher Intel socket. I recently bought 8gb of G.Skill Pi DDR2-1066 ram which cost about $160 including shipping (yeah i know, bad idea). so because of this i need to stay within the ddr2 based sockets.

Another thing is that i am running 2x EVGA GTX 570 HDs in sli and only nforce chipsets run sli unless i do that sli bios hack thingy on non-nforce boards.

I came up with another idea which was to use a Phenom II x4 965 along with a 790FX/780a AM2+ Motherboard which supports DDR2 ram.

I appreciate your opinions and look forwards to hearing them to help solve my problem.
Old February 16, 2013, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sell the ram and anything else you can test as working and get a new platform. i3 or 965(with DDR3) would be your best bets.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I was thinking of doing that since another 780i board would cost ~$170. I would switch to the 1155 socket but, I really dislike the small choice of higher level processors, especially since so many people have them already; I would only go for a i5 2550k, or i7 2700k. Also I am waiting for ECS' z77h2-a5x motherboard to be released.

I currently have an AMD FX 8350, but I didnt like my Gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 board too much, so im selling it and waiting for ASUS' Sabertooth 990FX GEN3/r2.0

unfortunately both release dates are un-announced
I know that its a stupid reason but thats just how I am.

I really hate how you want something older, but the newer better thing is cheaper... I saw a DFI Lanparty X48-M3R_ on ebay for about $280. but theres an ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 for ~$190 including shipping on Newegg. its soo annoying.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:28 PM
Top Prospect

What's annoying about an old product not being available? You could probably find something that might work for cheap on Craigs if you really wanted to.

LGA775 by now is not as efficient and less powerful so you should really consider just purchasing something to replace. Even the LGA775's highest end is mostly outperformed by Pentium G21xx on LGA1155.

If this is about saving money then you should really reconsider the plan because purchasing old part does not save you money. Only time you should ever try this is for coporation's servers.

Last edited by tangrisser; February 17, 2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: rewording
Old March 4, 2013, 02:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

True. Anyways i bought someones used EVGA nforce 790i FTW, and after dealing with a number of issues (bad ram, overheating, loud nb fan, oddly long boot times, random hangs and freezes) it worked out ok i guess. It ran perfectly when I oced my cpu to 3.2GHZ but then I ran Prime 95 and it overheated so now im back to 2.66 GHz until I can find some good waterblocks for the mobo and cpu.

Thinking about it now, I could have just bought a Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 for the same price and put an i5 or i7 on credit.

Tags
775 , 780i