Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2013, 04:57 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Pegatron is a partial subsidiary of ASUS. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about as Pegatron produces some of the most popular smartphones and tablets alongside primary boards for Panasonic and LG devices and some of the Mac innards for Apple.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Pegatron is a partial subsidiary of ASUS. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about as Pegatron produces some of the most popular smartphones and tablets alongside primary boards for Panasonic and LG devices and some of the Mac innards for Apple.
Maybe I read the article wrong but they are ending that cycle with them are they not? Instead allowing multiple companies to do the work for them.

Quote:
ASUS and Pegatron enjoy quite the relationship, but 2012 is the year of the end of everything, and ASUS now have plans to end their ODM (Original Design Manufacturer) partnership with Pegatron. ASUS first have plans to decrease ODM production of motherboards from Pegatron which will start mid way through the year, after which they'll completely end their ODM relationship by Q3 2012, according to component manufacturers.
And,

Quote:
After ending their ODM partnership with Pegatron, ASUS will have other companies stand up and take ODM motherboard production, these companies are: Thailand-based Cal-Comp Electronics, Taiwan-based Global Brands Manufacture, Info-Tek and Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS). ECS and ASUS aren't strangers to each other, either, as ECS has been an ODM of graphics cards for ASUS.
-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 16, 2013, 05:40 AM
Manufacturer Rep

I've been a total Asrock fanboy ever since I bought a cheapo board for my GF's build that had the same features as the Gigabyte board that cost 40 more dollars. It also didn't give me any BSODs, random reboots, forget bios settings, etc like the Gigabyte board did. It was a phenomenal little board and it's been running 24/7 for over a year now with no issues. Then I bought my 2011 Extreme 6/GB board. Again, fantastic.

Asrock is really becoming a powerhouse in the Mobo market. I hope they keep it up, because I love what I'm seeing from them.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
I've been a total Asrock fanboy ever since I bought a cheapo board for my GF's build that had the same features as the Gigabyte board that cost 40 more dollars. It also didn't give me any BSODs, random reboots, forget bios settings, etc like the Gigabyte board did. It was a phenomenal little board and it's been running 24/7 for over a year now with no issues. Then I bought my 2011 Extreme 6/GB board. Again, fantastic.

Asrock is really becoming a powerhouse in the Mobo market. I hope they keep it up, because I love what I'm seeing from them.
I've gotta agree. I think they are #3 right now in terms of production and sales. They have done great to make it this far, and bring out good product at fair prices.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old January 16, 2013, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm, things to ponder when I eventually do a platform upgrade to Intel. Right now it seems like it's between MSI and ASrock. Pity, I've stuck with ASUS for years now, I have a certain brand loyalty to them.

And, Power to ASrock. They went from being a company (in my mind) that made cheap little POS boards to a viable competitor (again in my mind - perception is everything).

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old January 16, 2013, 07:42 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Maybe I read the article wrong but they are ending that cycle with them are they not? Instead allowing multiple companies to do the work for them.

And,
-ST
That's pretty much all hearsay started by an article in DigiTimes. ASUS has made no official announcements through their investor channel and neither has Pegatron. Until that happens, I won't assume.

In addition, it really doesn't matter WHO is making their motherboards. It could be Ping Pong Corp for all I care.

It all comes down to the QA process ASUS has in place. They could manufacture their own boards in a gleaming facility, implement a shitty QA process and have bucketloads of issues. On the other hand, they can go to almost whoever they want and produce stellar products as long as they have a proper filtering process in place.

Remember, it is ASUS that institutes final technical specs, not their ODM. It is however ASUS' responsibility to ensure those specs are adhered to.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
That's pretty much all hearsay started by an article in DigiTimes. ASUS has made no official announcements through their investor channel and neither has Pegatron. Until that happens, I won't assume.

In addition, it really doesn't matter WHO is making their motherboards. It could be Ping Pong Corp for all I care.

It all comes down to the QA process ASUS has in place. They could manufacture their own boards in a gleaming facility, implement a shitty QA process and have bucketloads of issues. On the other hand, they can go to almost whoever they want and produce stellar products as long as they have a proper filtering process in place.

Remember, it is ASUS that institutes final technical specs, not their ODM. It is however ASUS' responsibility to ensure those specs are adhered to.
Fair enough, I had seen it floating around in many places and felt like sharing since to me it seems like a major shift from one of the top tier providers out there.
Granted that you are correct in the QA process it still begs the question of how strictly ASUS will monitor the materials that make it out into the channel. If the said articles are true.

-ST