Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Wait for Haswell? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/59154-wait-haswell.html)

the_guitarboy January 15, 2013 09:40 AM

Wait for Haswell?

I sold my 1366 rig and GTX580 to a buddy with plans to switch to a Z77 combo. Now I'm wondering if I should just hold out until Haswell arrives?

AkG January 15, 2013 09:44 AM

Do you A) give a crap about another 10-15% cpu performance boost b) plan on using the integrated GPU? No? Then get a Z77 now and enjoy. A good 3570K or 3770K on a good mobo is a kick ass combo that will last you for at least 2 gens. :)

YMMV but waiting for 'better' tech just means you never buy as there is always something better just over the horizon. :)

chubaka January 15, 2013 12:05 PM

Yeah, in other words, haswell on a laptop will be kickass. Not so exciting for desktop systems though with the regular performance/efficiency increase from year to year.

Haswell GT3 graphics vs. GeForce GT 650M - YouTube

tyreman January 15, 2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 684471)
Do you A) give a crap about another 10-15% cpu performance boost b) plan on using the integrated GPU? No? Then get a Z77 now and enjoy. A good 3570K or 3770K on a good mobo is a kick ass combo that will last you for at least 2 gens. :)

YMMV but waiting for 'better' tech just means you never buy as there is always something better just over the horizon. :)

Isn`t this just the way it really is:biggrin:

elmorejohn46 January 16, 2013 05:41 PM

If you just play games and had the 1366 rig with a i7-920 overclocked to 4gigs or more then in games you will not see much in performance if they are clocked the same. only 1to 3 FPS.

Hooded February 13, 2013 06:19 PM

I'll keep my 3 x58 systems for another gen yet. I don't feel the need to down grade to a z77 system.
Maybe Haswel's chipset will actually catch intel up to AMD with the number of SATA3 ports and more USB3 as well.
If they had done something like that for the x79, I would have upgraded.

Soultribunal February 13, 2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooded (Post 690384)
I'll keep my 3 x58 systems for another gen yet. I don't feel the need to down grade to a z77 system.
Maybe Haswel's chipset will actually catch intel up to AMD with the number of SATA3 ports and more USB3 as well.

Not that it is a big deal to too many, but there is one distinct advantage that I noticed from X58 to IB. My Rig, Idles at 75-80W. And if I load prime up I'm lucky to hit 165.
Insane is the efficency, and for some features of the boards and others for the SSD's I use it was an upgrade for sure.

Food for thought I suppose,

-ST

AkG February 13, 2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooded (Post 690384)

Its not the size its how you use it. :ph34r:

I'd rather two SATA 6gb/s ports that I can USE for raid SSDs (the only thing that needs sata 6gb/s) vs a bunch of ports that A) are lower performing and b) have less than optimal drivers (ie no TRIM in raid).

YMMV

Phill February 13, 2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

A) are lower performing and b) have less than optimal drivers (ie no TRIM in raid).
Couldn't one update the Intel RST RAID ROM in the bios? Not sure about the X58 boards but on my P67 boards I was able to update the orom and get TRIM to work.

Hooded February 13, 2013 08:16 PM

If I were running Sata's disks in RAID I'd think about an upgrade but I'm not.