Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2013, 01:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
I have six desktops in my home and each only have one ssd per (for the OS)*. May I ask why some of your rigs have two or three SSDs? just curious is all, thanks.

EDIT: (for OS/Games/Programs)*
As I've told my SSD Guru, I at one point had moved all of my bigger MMO games to the Storage Drive (WD Raptor). However, after a while I got fed up with the damn long load times so I sent it back to the SSD and I'm the first one in the game ready 95% of the time.
As it stands SSD's as all the dedicated drives is really where the future is headed. Thats why now, in an era where speed is key, it makes all the difference.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 15, 2013, 02:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
As I've told my SSD Guru, I at one point had moved all of my bigger MMO games to the Storage Drive (WD Raptor). However, after a while I got fed up with the damn long load times so I sent it back to the SSD and I'm the first one in the game ready 95% of the time.
As it stands SSD's as all the dedicated drives is really where the future is headed. Thats why now, in an era where speed is key, it makes all the difference.

-ST
Well I never touched an SSD in my whole life and I got a Caviar Green as my boot device... I was thinking economically and environmentally during that time lol. I even did a RAID 0 with 2 Caviar greens, to my surprise they're still alive to this day (I bought them in 2009) even with RAID 0, although I've noticed performance degenerated so I decided to remove the RAID and just do two separate disks, 1 as boot the other as backup and video recording.

I'm probably gonna get an SSD with my next build, just to see what the hub bub is about.
Old February 15, 2013, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you were to go from Caviar Greens to SSD, you will figuratively be blown away. I'm telling you this so that you can go into an SSD upgrade with your mind 'pre-blown'. HA!

No, seriously. Greens are just about the worst boot drive you can have. I use them in my HTPC, and they're pretty slow. I'm willing to tolerate them in my SSD because I need a lot of cheap storage, but they definitely wouldn't cut it in my gaming rig.

Seriously, these days adding an SSD is probably the single biggest improvement you can make to a PC!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 15, 2013, 02:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
If you were to go from Caviar Greens to SSD, you will figuratively be blown away. I'm telling you this so that you can go into an SSD upgrade with your mind 'pre-blown'. HA!

No, seriously. Greens are just about the worst boot drive you can have. I use them in my HTPC, and they're pretty slow. I'm willing to tolerate them in my SSD because I need a lot of cheap storage, but they definitely wouldn't cut it in my gaming rig.

Seriously, these days adding an SSD is probably the single biggest improvement you can make to a PC!
I suppose, but yet I'm so used to the Windows 98 load times that I said I don't really care.

I even bought an Ultrabook.... that doesn't have an SSD lol. (ASUS VIVOBOOK X202E)
Old February 15, 2013, 03:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
I have six desktops in my home and each only have one ssd per (for the OS)*. May I ask why some of your rigs have two or three SSDs? just curious is all, thanks.

EDIT: (for OS/Games/Programs)*
Bingo I have either a 120/128gb or a 240/256GB SATA3 disc as the OS disc in each machine. I have either a 120/128 or a 240/256GB SATA3 as the disc for games and a 120/128GB SATA2 for apps in 4 of my machines.

I have a raid box with 24TB of disc space in a RAID10 setup for roughly 12TB of redundant storage that is plugged into one of my rigs using USB3. This is for back up and media library
Old February 15, 2013, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Bingo I have either a 120/128gb or a 240/256GB SATA3 disc as the OS disc in each machine. I have either a 120/128 or a 240/256GB SATA3 as the disc for games and a 120/128GB SATA2 for apps in 4 of my machines.

I have a raid box with 24TB of disc space in a RAID10 setup for roughly 12TB of redundant storage that is plugged into one of my rigs using USB3. This is for back up and media library
You've got too much money
There is no way I could justify all that, however my machine is purely leisure.. no work being done off it.

That said my next build will probably have 2 256GB drives in raid and probably a pair of 4TB drives mirroring each other for data.
Thats a way off though :P
Old February 15, 2013, 07:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
Well I never touched an SSD in my whole life and I got a Caviar Green as my boot device... I was thinking economically and environmentally during that time lol. I even did a RAID 0 with 2 Caviar greens, to my surprise they're still alive to this day (I bought them in 2009) even with RAID 0, although I've noticed performance degenerated so I decided to remove the RAID and just do two separate disks, 1 as boot the other as backup and video recording.

I'm probably gonna get an SSD with my next build, just to see what the hub bub is about.
I was the same way for the longest time. I really was, and then AkG came along and started testing them.
I managed to get a hold of one of the first drives, before they became so good and more mainstream. I can not go back.
I really can't.
Its a sickness really the speed you get, how fast things load and the responsiveness of your rig.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com