Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2013, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There are a few reasons to upgrade cpu performance isn't one of them.

Less power and heat for your performance along with (as said above) better SATA for your SSD would be the main reasons.
I would wait for Haswell if you still have an i7 as every little bump in performance helps (you could also get a kick-ass sandy/ivy system for less/second-hand when it's released) if your set on an upgrade.

Personally I'll be playing wait and see till I think the spend is worth it / I come into some serious cash so that splashing it doesn't hurt so much.
The main reason to wait for Haswell for me is that your on the latest gen and not getting into something that is in it's later life.

That being said I got my 950 just before Sandy came out and haven't been disappointed (Friend was going to the states and I got it for substantially less than I could get Sandy over here at the time, bout the same as ivy now(3 years later))

Last edited by Dzzope; February 13, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
Couldn't one update the Intel RST RAID ROM in the bios? Not sure about the X58 boards but on my P67 boards I was able to update the orom and get TRIM to work.

Yes and no. It will work on some (probably most actually) but there is no guarantees. Intel only guarantees it will work on a narrow range of controllers / mobos....none of which are X58 based. More to the point I was talking about AMD vs Intel....and with AMD you are SOL when it comes to TRIM in RAID. Honestly, up until their latest gen TRIM on single SSD was hit or miss at best.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 14, 2013, 08:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
I'll keep my 3 x58 systems for another gen yet. I don't feel the need to down grade to a z77 system.
Maybe Haswel's chipset will actually catch intel up to AMD with the number of SATA3 ports and more USB3 as well.
If they had done something like that for the x79, I would have upgraded.
Too late, UPGRADED to a 3770k & Z77 AsRock Extreme4.

Less power, less heat, and proper Sata3 are more than enough reason to upgrade. My i7 920 was stuck at 3.8ghz unless i went to about 1.475v, this 3770k sits at 4.5ghz at 1.176.....

I got a decent price for my x58 setup so the overall cost wasn't that much. If Haswell ends up trumping Ivy Bridge then I'll upgrade again and the IB will go in my backup system.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
If Haswell ends up trumping Ivy Bridge then I'll upgrade again...
is ~10% better "trump" worthy?
Old February 15, 2013, 01:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Might be enough to make me move from x58 but shouldn't have people moving from Ivy.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
is ~10% better "trump" worthy?
Depends, if Haswell overclock an extra 500mhz, uses less power, more Sata3/Usb3, more options etc... it may be worth it.

I, like most people on a hardware forum, am an enthusiast. I don't necessarily use logic when it comes to upgrading or any computer hardware. If it's newer and faster I want it
Old February 15, 2013, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't really see the point in moving from Ivy to Haswell. Now, moving to Broadwell, when they do another die-shrink...well we'll see about that.

As far as extra Sata3/USB3, how many ports do you need? Do you have more than two SSD's? How many peripherals do you have? Maybe you should think about SB-E/IB-E....

Speaking of which, why hasn't Intel released the die shrink to SB-E yet?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 15, 2013, 10:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have 6 machines running some have two SSD's some have 3.
I use usb3 plenty with camer's external disc's/drives and the list grows as more devices are released to use it.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
I have 6 machines running some have two SSD's some have 3.
I have six desktops in my home and each only have one ssd per (for the OS)*. May I ask why some of your rigs have two or three SSDs? just curious is all, thanks.

EDIT: (for OS/Games/Programs)*

Last edited by Phill; February 15, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly...until you have gone fully solid state..you are missing out on a whole new ballgame. No more worries about 'which is on the fast drive' game most play...as if its installed...its FAST. Great for Lan party rigs - no moving parts...so having all 6 on Sata 6gb/s...would be very sweet.

Personally I am hoping for Intel to release a 10-12 port PCH like this gen was supposed to have. HOPEFULLY with built in SAS support....and ALL be SATA 6gb/s. Most of my main rigs have 12-14 storage drives...and this is an area Intel is perceived to be behind AMD, so they probably will 'fix' it, so I have high hopes for it. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr