Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Thermal Pad for HP Elitebook 2730P (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/58629-thermal-pad-hp-elitebook-2730p.html)

StackOverflow December 19, 2012 02:43 PM

Thermal Pad for HP Elitebook 2730P

Got a customer board in for an HP Elitebook 2730P. Needs its DC jack replaced, but while doing that I noticed that when the customer removed their heatsink assembly that they damaged the thermal pad over one of the chips (I believe its the processor, while the GPU is using TIM).

Was wondering if anyone had an idea what type of pad to source. The pad looks to be about 0.7-1.0mm thick and its blue and tacky.

Thanks,

-Stack

Soultribunal December 19, 2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StackOverflow (Post 679049)
Got a customer board in for an HP Elitebook 2730P. Needs its DC jack replaced, but while doing that I noticed that when the customer removed their heatsink assembly that they damaged the thermal pad over one of the chips (I believe its the processor, while the GPU is using TIM).

Was wondering if anyone had an idea what type of pad to source. The pad looks to be about 0.7-1.0mm thick and its blue and tacky.

Thanks,

-Stack

Hey Stack,

Something like this should do you right:

Startech Heatsink Thermal Pads - Pack of 5

-ST

sswilson December 19, 2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 679093)
Hey Stack,

Something like this should do you right:

Startech Heatsink Thermal Pads - Pack of 5

-ST

There's gotta be a better way to buy that stuff. This reminds me of the thin double sided thermal tape for securing small heatsinks (like the enzos) where retailers charge $5+ for a couple of 3" strips.... I managed to get my hands on a full roll of Seksui tape for around $10, and I know that Princess Auto had the rolls at one time.

Soultribunal December 19, 2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 679098)
There's gotta be a better way to buy that stuff. This reminds me of the thin double sided thermal tape for securing small heatsinks (like the enzos) where retailers charge $5+ for a couple of 3" strips.... I managed to get my hands on a full roll of Seksui tape for around $10, and I know that Princess Auto had the rolls at one time.

I know Digi-Key and E-sonic will have this crap in bulk, but considering its going to be a one time application things for the OP, seemed like the most painless option.

-ST

sswilson December 19, 2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 679108)
I know Digi-Key and E-sonic will have this crap in bulk, but considering its going to be a one time application things for the OP, seemed like the most painless option.

-ST

Yep, I understand that, and you're right that it's probably a one-of, but this is one of those supply/demand things that always gets my goat. :)

As far as the double sided tape goes.... I've got enough to do me for a couple of lifetimes, and that's after the young lad used a quarter of the roll thinking it was just standard double sided scotch tape..... :)

StackOverflow December 20, 2012 08:03 AM

Thank you for the swift reply! Will be purchasing a set of those pads as they should fit my needs.

-Stack