Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2014, 02:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The is an aquarium chiller a few of the boy's were looking at awhile ago. Fittings could be moded to a couple of disconnects.
Old February 10, 2014, 05:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thatd be interesting for a mitx build modify the fridge cooling and you can get a nice subzero cooler. Just wish phase changing would evolve to include cpu coolers for less then $4500 a piece.
Old February 10, 2014, 06:43 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
Thatd be interesting for a mitx build modify the fridge cooling and you can get a nice subzero cooler. Just wish phase changing would evolve to include cpu coolers for less then $4500 a piece.
Most mini fridges will not work. The compressors will not hold a load. They will burn out. A CPU single stage isnt anywhere near $4500. They will definitely be under $1000.
Old February 21, 2014, 02:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

vaporchill still making cases lowfat? Or was it promethia, one went under cant remember now which.

Last edited by nasrott; February 21, 2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old June 27, 2014, 05:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Welp.

Just did a fail de-lid.

- Damaged heat spreader: I tried vice method with no luck. The edge just curled up on itself like a wave, so I filed it down. (Sorry, no before-filing pics).

- Gouged the PCB: as I was cutting the IHS off, I knick a corner with my blade. I only notice after it's carved a little bit of green out. I swap blades and get the job done.

- Won't POST: After a quick cleanup and re-tim with Ceramique, I pop it in. It won't post. Boot loop power off. I thought I killed a chip, but I remembered... I had painters tape on the bottom as a 'leash' for the vice method. Decided to clean off the residue from the bottom of the chip.

- It's ALIVE!!!: It's alive, but instead of Linpack @ 100C, it is now a nice and icy 95C. WTF??

- Concave IHS: It's concave as hell.

- Should have noticed before I started it all, because this was with the stock CPU:

tldr; De-lidded 4770K. Shaved 5C off of 100C @ full load.

Old June 27, 2014, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Holy!

That CPU looks like a prime candidate for the no IHS watercooling mod from EK! ;)

I dont bother with the vice method. I'm not a fan of 'brute force' method. Vices arnt ment for electronics...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 27, 2014, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Zoob, I want to suggest that you lap the IHS, but in reality that did not do very much for me. I just got the naked mounting kit for my Supremacy installed and my max temp went from about 90c to mid-70s. (I gained around 10c during summer, if you are wondering why I said 80c previously in the thread)

Is the mounting hardware of your waterblock capable of going tighter after IHS and retention bracket thingy removal, or do those screws bottom out too soon?
Old June 27, 2014, 09:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Goddamn must be doing something wrong. I just lapped it down to copper and still hitting 100C.

I have a Swiftech H220 and I wouldn't trust mounting that POS to a naked die. I have enough trouble mounting it as is with a heat spreader.

It all looks ok to me?? Maybe this ASUS board is doing some weird AUTO voltage garbage when I have it on 40X multi?

Took forever to lap since I only have 220 grit at the moment.

EDIT:

I set everything to stock besides my RAM OC @ DDR3-2200, VRAM 1.625, and VCCSA +0.035 and it still hits 80C load in LinX
37x100 @ 1.182V in CPU-Z (auto multi/auto voltage/etc/etc)

EDIT 2 :
Everything bone stock gets me 70C in LinX load.

EDIT 3 :
With Sync all cores enabled I get 89C load.

Fan speed (H220 fan + pump) is set to auto "turbo" mode in QFan.

Gonna call it a night and work on it with a clear head tomorrow.

Last edited by zoob; June 27, 2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old June 28, 2014, 04:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

looks to me that the water block is the issue for seems its has a hollow spot in center is convex

re-surface block on a sheet of glass or take off outer edge to rid of low spot in center

then use a straight edge to check flatness , really want a concave surface

where in Toronto? Active Surplus Electronics pick up a copper sheet to use as shim between block an speader
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; June 28, 2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old June 28, 2014, 07:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the input. I've put a line of thermal paste down the middle and that was the imprint it left.
I'm fine with my block being convex to push all the paste out from the middle (where the core is).

It's most likely just a combination of bad chip and overzealous voltages coming from my ASUS Z87 Deluxe.
I manually set it to 40x100 1.175V and I get around 80-82C LinX full load. 42x100 1.25V hits 86C and is not stable.

Does anybody in GTA east have a bench setup for naked mounting and would be willing to help test my chip? :|