Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Awesome! Congrats on the successful delid. I am tempted myself I just may try after xmas. Look into CoolLaboratory Liquid Pro. All the cool kids on OCN are using it and apparently dropping temps over 20c.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
Currently I running prime at 4.8Ghz with 1.248v (Overnight I ran 4.8Ghz with 1.26v). Load temps are anywhere from the mid 60s to the low 70s (C). As mentioned earlier I really would like to glue the IHS back to the pcb. The issue lies with what kind of adhesive to use... any thoughts? Also do you guys think it worth investing in some Cool Labs Pro TIM?
forget about putting back for the sealant is proprietary

CoolLaboratory Liquid Pro its a nightmere to remove

Triangle Welding & Machining Ltd

(204) 534-6338

ask for copper shimstock (0.050, 0.060, 0.125)

that is the same thickness as lid or take the lid with you to shop an have them measure it

and use 1 piecse as a filler with NT-H1 pasted on both sides of copper

Last edited by KaptCrunch; December 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old December 21, 2012, 04:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

sorry KCrunch I am not following.... please explain further. Is the idea with the shim to go direct die?
Old December 21, 2012, 05:14 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah the capin' is saying why use an stock ALU IHS....when for a couple bucks you can get a COPPER IHS. It should give even better temps....and its not like you havent done the hard part and removed the IHS!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 21, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yeah the capin' is saying why use an stock ALU IHS....when for a couple bucks you can get a COPPER IHS. It should give even better temps....and its not like you havent done the hard part and removed the IHS!
echo that AkG

just call up the shop to make appointment bring your old lid so they can match the thickness

so here a pic for is a thousands words
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; December 22, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old January 4, 2013, 01:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

What would be cool is too have a shim that matches the height of the die with the die hole cut out of the middle. This way hsf would set flat right across the actual die therefore making better contact. ie: less parts to paste together idea, plus less things to transfer heat through. Didn't we have these years ago for our amd chips, spacers believe they were called, then slap the 462 swiftech's on them and tighten the shit out of the bolts....
Old January 4, 2013, 04:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

back in the day it was for so not to crush the chip the shim was made. mine is for direct die not pcb
Old January 4, 2013, 09:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I remember the good ol Socket A days when the chips didnt have an IHS. And you had to use a flathead screwdriver in an itty bitty slot with a shitload of force to get the bloody clip for the heatsink on properly. Dont see how crushing the core now would be an issue, especially if you are using bolt down coolers vs clip coolers.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
I remember the good ol Socket A days when the chips didnt have an IHS. And you had to use a flathead screwdriver in an itty bitty slot with a shitload of force to get the bloody clip for the heatsink on properly. Dont see how crushing the core now would be an issue, especially if you are using bolt down coolers vs clip coolers.
LOL - Oh I remember those days ! Lot of cussing..... :D But you would be surprised it is an issue for those who are less experienced and less careful, some people do manage to wreck their processors. It's all about HOW you mount the heat sink, and some people do it the wrong way (easy) by tilting and pressing corners first. Only now we are talking about an expensive CPU, it would really suck for anybody to wreck that thing ....
Old January 4, 2013, 11:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Seen me toast the and CPU with shims and peltiers was no thermal throttling back then time u made it too PS plug it was gone lol.