Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   UPdateing the Bios with Q-Flash (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/58601-updateing-bios-q-flash.html)

elmorejohn46 December 17, 2012 07:41 PM

UPdateing the Bios with Q-Flash

Updateing a Gigabyte X79-UD5 ,when useing Q-Flash ,does it contain it's on flasher built in the chip .I mean on my USB drive after formatting it to F32 ,is the only file I need on it is the the BIOS update file.I don't need the other files like autoexec and the flasher Efiflash,RIGHT.
When useing Q-Flash all I need is the updated BIOS File. RIGHt
I would need the two other files if I was updateing with a Floppy and nedded a flasher is this right.
It is the way I understand it to be.

KaptCrunch December 17, 2012 10:16 PM

ga-x79-ud5 MB:rev1

bios exe utility @BIOS (Intel X79 series)
(Note) Support Intel X79 series motherboards.

current bios F12

download those to files to GA-X79-UD5 system

read the files follow instructions

what bios are you talking about? GIGABYTE X79 Ultra Durable Motherboards or MB

KaptCrunch December 19, 2012 01:40 AM

D/L Xpress utility will allow updating driver,bios

elmorejohn46 December 19, 2012 08:07 AM

I am talking about the Gigabyte X79-UD5 it has Q-Flash where you do not need to interact with windows ,the @bios is a windows base program where you update the bios though windows.I wanted to update the bios before I install windows and people have said it is better to use Q-flash instead of a windows base program.It is a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 motherboard. Most people on the fourm tell me not to use the @bios because it is a windows base program where as the Q-flash is done though the bios ,but the best way I understand it,is the Q-flash has a built in flasher,and I would'nt need everthing that come in the download since it comes with a flasher and autoexec and the Bios itself.

KaptCrunch December 19, 2012 09:45 AM

read the manual

3 Attachment(s)
What is Q-Flash i see your MB supports it

you have MB manual? read sec 4-2 page 66

also you have a dual bios so you be flashing 2 chips

Quote:

When useing Q-Flash all I need is the updated BIOS File. RIGHt
extract files to ROOT of usbstik that is FAT 12,16,32 format
usbstik:/
X79UD5.F12
autoexec.bat......Efiflash X79UD5.F12
Efiflash.exe

elmorejohn46 December 20, 2012 01:32 AM

I think I have done found it ,But all I was asking is when useing Q-flash does',nt it already have a build in flasher ,build in the Bios itself .So all you would need is the Bios File like X79UD5.F12.I know I need a USB formmatted to FAT32 and if you were going to use DOS or @bios then you would need the extra files like the autoexec.bat and a flasher like Efiflash.exe .But since Q-Flash has a build in flasher then all you would need is the updated BIOS file like
X79UD5.F12

AkG December 20, 2012 08:42 AM

Via the bios is usually how I update my GB mobos. What I usually do is stick the unzipped file on the C drive (not in any dir...just right at the C). Point the flasher to the proper drive, let it find it, let it do its magic and presto changeo done. Never had a problem with f32 vs NTFS...but never stuck it on a USB drive either!

elmorejohn46 January 16, 2013 01:54 AM

It was a clean install so nothing was on the c drive .It did'nt even have a os in it yet and my motherboard has a old bios did'nt know if it was compatable with my i7-3820,but with the q-bios i had no problem just put the newest one one it and flashed it.