Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2012, 04:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default CPU Temp question

So I just installed a core i5-3570k and Asrock Z77 Extreme4 mobo in my antec 900 case. Right now it is not overclocked and on the stock cooler but soon to be replaced by an antec kuhler h2o 620.
Idle temps are perfect at about 27-30C but as soon as I start prime95 temps jump up into the 60-70C range in seconds, but then back down again as soon as I turn it off. Is this normal/Okay? I understand the stock cooler is crap but was does it cool back down so quickly? I'm talking like 70C turn prime95 off and less than ten seconds later it's back to 30C.

Thanks!
Old December 15, 2012, 05:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Perfectly normal. Pretty good for stock actually.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay, Thanks!
And literally seconds after I made this thread the Kuhler showed up lol. Much better, idling at ambient (25C) andn inside of case is also 25C, haven't run a load yet.
Old December 15, 2012, 06:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Genius Jr. View Post
So I just installed a core i5-3570k and Asrock Z77 Extreme4 mobo in my antec 900 case. Right now it is not overclocked and on the stock cooler but soon to be replaced by an antec kuhler h2o 620.
Idle temps are perfect at about 27-30C but as soon as I start prime95 temps jump up into the 60-70C range in seconds, but then back down again as soon as I turn it off. Is this normal/Okay? I understand the stock cooler is crap but was does it cool back down so quickly? I'm talking like 70C turn prime95 off and less than ten seconds later it's back to 30C.

Thanks!
The stock cooler is small, there really isn't a lot of surface area to be saturated by heat, so once the load is off , given the airflow inside of your case the cooler and such dispense with the heat rather quickly.
That being said, the H20 from Antec will do really well in turn for load, or should at least.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 15, 2012, 06:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The stock cooler is small, there really isn't a lot of surface area to be saturated by heat, so once the load is off , given the airflow inside of your case the cooler and such dispense with the heat rather quickly.
That being said, the H20 from Antec will do really well in turn for load, or should at least.

-ST
Cool thanks! I'm testing right now.
Upgraded form a dual core athlon to a quad core i5, faster if nothing for the Sata3 for my SSD