Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2012, 11:23 PM
Allstar

Default Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 keeps dropping HDD

so I have a 990XA-UD3 system setup with a fx-8320, a samsung 830, and 2 seagate 2tb HDDs.

its been running smoothly for about 2.5 weeks. today, it started dropping one of the hard drives. I've managed to get it to drop for a second time when saving dxtory files to it; that's the only time the drive gets written to/read from.

as a note, i do not believe I installed the mobo's achi drivers. on intel systems, I preferred to use MS achi drivers based on a recommendation for stability. is this not applicable for amd systems?

do you think this is a problem with the drive itself or with the motherboard?

EDIT:

NOTE: by 'dropping,' i mean it crashes the program using the drive and it disappears from windows explorer and the partition utility in win7. on one occasion, it disappeared entirely from bios.

also, this issue seems to have affected the boot sequence off my SSD (it just goes alot slower and freezes at certain point in the windows bootup animation).
Old December 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
so I have a 990XA-UD3 system setup with a fx-8320, a samsung 830, and 2 seagate 2tb HDDs.

its been running smoothly for about 2.5 weeks. today, it started dropping one of the hard drives. I've managed to get it to drop for a second time when saving dxtory files to it; that's the only time the drive gets written to/read from.

as a note, i do not believe I installed the mobo's achi drivers. on intel systems, I preferred to use MS achi drivers based on a recommendation for stability. is this not applicable for amd systems?

do you think this is a problem with the drive itself or with the motherboard?

EDIT:

NOTE: by 'dropping,' i mean it crashes the program using the drive and it disappears from windows explorer and the partition utility in win7. on one occasion, it disappeared entirely from bios.

also, this issue seems to have affected the boot sequence off my SSD (it just goes alot slower and freezes at certain point in the windows bootup animation).

Have you changed the SATA port that the suspect Drive is attached to?
My first intiuition is the HDD but you never know.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 15, 2012, 12:23 AM
Allstar

pretty sure it's the drive at this point. I just don't understand it would affect boot times....
Old December 15, 2012, 01:04 AM
Allstar

Stupid question but have you replace the SATA cable first? My computer was having a hell of a time accessing the drive and would eventually hard lock. It passed the WD diagnostic but still had the problem until I swap the SATA cable.