Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 keeps dropping HDD (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/58495-gigabyte-990xa-ud3-keeps-dropping-hdd.html)

Generic User #2 December 11, 2012 11:23 PM

Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 keeps dropping HDD

so I have a 990XA-UD3 system setup with a fx-8320, a samsung 830, and 2 seagate 2tb HDDs.

its been running smoothly for about 2.5 weeks. today, it started dropping one of the hard drives. I've managed to get it to drop for a second time when saving dxtory files to it; that's the only time the drive gets written to/read from.

as a note, i do not believe I installed the mobo's achi drivers. on intel systems, I preferred to use MS achi drivers based on a recommendation for stability. is this not applicable for amd systems?

do you think this is a problem with the drive itself or with the motherboard?

EDIT:

NOTE: by 'dropping,' i mean it crashes the program using the drive and it disappears from windows explorer and the partition utility in win7. on one occasion, it disappeared entirely from bios.

also, this issue seems to have affected the boot sequence off my SSD (it just goes alot slower and freezes at certain point in the windows bootup animation).

Soultribunal December 13, 2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Generic User #2 (Post 677321)
so I have a 990XA-UD3 system setup with a fx-8320, a samsung 830, and 2 seagate 2tb HDDs.

its been running smoothly for about 2.5 weeks. today, it started dropping one of the hard drives. I've managed to get it to drop for a second time when saving dxtory files to it; that's the only time the drive gets written to/read from.

as a note, i do not believe I installed the mobo's achi drivers. on intel systems, I preferred to use MS achi drivers based on a recommendation for stability. is this not applicable for amd systems?

do you think this is a problem with the drive itself or with the motherboard?

EDIT:

NOTE: by 'dropping,' i mean it crashes the program using the drive and it disappears from windows explorer and the partition utility in win7. on one occasion, it disappeared entirely from bios.

also, this issue seems to have affected the boot sequence off my SSD (it just goes alot slower and freezes at certain point in the windows bootup animation).

Have you changed the SATA port that the suspect Drive is attached to?
My first intiuition is the HDD but you never know.

-ST

Generic User #2 December 15, 2012 12:23 AM

pretty sure it's the drive at this point. I just don't understand it would affect boot times....

moocow December 15, 2012 01:04 AM

Stupid question but have you replace the SATA cable first? My computer was having a hell of a time accessing the drive and would eventually hard lock. It passed the WD diagnostic but still had the problem until I swap the SATA cable.