Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2012, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by o320 View Post
Isn't offset voltage for people looking to do extreme overclocking or looking to have the lowest V while being stable?
I just plan to do a simple overclock, so that should be okay, correct?
Thanks!
Honestly I'm not 100% sure. I'm a newbie overclocker and I have never used offset so I don't fully understand it. But yes I think what you are saying is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
Funny few years ago it was Gigabyte wall to wall here, Asus was not that much popular here, now everyone is using Asus, but some now are looking at MSI , in that time I was an Asus guy, since a year I'm a MSI one, look's like I'm always in advance of my time. MSI start few years ago to level the quality of their motherboards layout and components. If you look at the GD55 it as amazing layout too for a $ 139 motherboard : power, reset, oc buttons, voltage reading point, look how clean it is around the CPU no more Koolance 360 crashing the caps for sure.

look at this Asus at same price, not even heatsink over the mosfet, not that good for OC

Yeah the GD55-65 are great boards. 55 is perfect for anyone who isn't going to run more then 2 gpu's. I went from GD65- Mpower just for sexy factor. :)

Gotta love MSI. They have amazing pricepoint. Waaaaay better then asus overpriced crap like you mentioned. Way more features too at the same price.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:34 AM
MVP

Offset cpu voltage I have used on Asus boards the cpu voltage ramps up and down in accordance with cpu mhz
It really makes no difference to how things run in the end
I don't miss it
YMMV
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old December 13, 2012, 08:55 AM
Allstar

Humm I don't say Asus are crap, they just give less for the same value. I'm writing this post on a Maximus IV extreme Z , my last Asus purchase ( 18 mounts ago ) before I turn 100 % MSI
Old December 13, 2012, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Getting less for same price is crap in my books. I don't care for brand name price jackups. Also if you read around online there are a bzillion ASUS mobo RMA horror stories in USA. I know it doesn't affect us but still.. it just says a lot about the brand.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Getting less for same price is crap in my books. I don't care for brand name price jackups. Also if you read around online there are a bzillion ASUS mobo RMA horror stories in USA. I know it doesn't affect us but still.. it just says a lot about the brand.
Who cares if Asus or MSI have RMA issues in Canada/USA most of the people on the forum(who know me) just email me when either fails and I expedite it for them :P haha but MSI builds better boards in my mind then Asus now, same with notebooks.. Asus get off your Best Buy High horse and kick it into gear again and build me some awesome mobo's again.

Go with the 55 or 65 MSI you will be very happy the Z77 Mpower though is all kinds of sexy and super easy to use and setup.

I have lucked out to many of the new Z77 MSI boards but few Asus other then RMA or bug test boards from them which still seemed rock solid.

Both brands are great so now it just comes to personal preference. Almost all boards are good buuuut.. Gigabyte me no like the Byte :P
Old December 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I ordered this board. Hope it shows up tomorrow for weekend setup fun!

I left Asus back in the 775 days, because after they release a board they stop support as soon as ANY newer models ;even within the same chipset) come out.

TLDR; Asus sucks for medium and long term support
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 13, 2012, 06:08 PM
Rookie

As of now all of my questions have been answered thanks to you fellow forum members :)
Great to see some discussion going on as well!
Old December 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
Allstar

Offset voltage is so you don't have to run max voltage through your CPU at all times even when its throttled down by speed step. With the mpower if you OC ur cpu it will be running at max voltage all the time. Means excess heat and power for no reason.

For most, its probably a non-factor. But for me personally, it's a big deal.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. Besides that though, its probably the best value on the market for what it can do. Also looks dead sexy.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
Offset voltage is so you don't have to run max voltage through your CPU at all times even when its throttled down by speed step. With the mpower if you OC ur cpu it will be running at max voltage all the time. Means excess heat and power for no reason.

For most, its probably a non-factor. But for me personally, it's a big deal.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. Besides that though, its probably the best value on the market for what it can do. Also looks dead sexy.
Oh, definitely makes a difference for some people then I assume. I'm guessing you are pretty serious about getting high clocks with low temperatures?
Yeah, gonna get one once I sell a few things :)
Old December 20, 2012, 02:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
No. actually it doesn't.

We implement CPU offset voltage differently and from an overclocking perspective, apparantly better.

In ClickBIOS, go to "Hybrid Digital Power"

And there you can select your offset options, control and compensation.

Set VDroop Offset control to 100% (100% of the set voltage at maximum CPU speed) set Digital Compensation to High and just leave EIST enabled.

This leaves the Load Line Calibration settings at 100% when you set your voltages you want for OC and the system will do the rest.

As you can see from the table below (4.8 GHz LinX) this gives you lower power consumption vs. Asus/Gigabyte, lower temperatures and better performance.

oh .. and NO VCORE fluctuation.

Btw, you can also see that CPU-Z is not a perfect solution for measuring voltages, there is a bigger discrepancy in measured voltages between hardware and CPU-Z than maximum allowed measurement deviation. This is because CPU-Z only polls the SuperI/O chip (as far as I know.)

So in the end, we completely understand that higher power consumption and higher temperatures are a BAD thing, that is exactly why you should get an MPOWER and not any of the other boards.

Another example is X79. With default settings and clocked to 5GHz, an XPOWER II will use less power at Idle than a Rampage IV @3.3 GHz at idle.
Check that out here (vortez.net): ASUS Rampage IV Extreme BF3 Review - Power Consumption

xtremehardware.com Z77 MPOWER review:
MSI Z77 MPOWER: la prima ad essere certificata per l?overclock - Page 2

Last edited by neliz; December 21, 2012 at 01:24 AM.