Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   AMD FM2 A10-5800K or A8-5600K? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/58306-amd-fm2-a10-5800k-a8-5600k.html)

Soullessone21 December 5, 2012 08:07 AM

AMD FM2 A10-5800K or A8-5600K?
 
Building my wife's media gamer this will be hooked to our main TV to play games on and watch movies and stream, is the A10 worth the extra $20 or just stick with the A8?

Added info, the system will be cooled by a AMD FX Watercooler
8GB DDR3 1866
No GPU now but a MSI 2GB 6670 in time
2TB Black HDD (SSD as well in time)
MSI FM2-A85X-G65 MOBO
Case will be a media Center box in time I think
PSU is just a Generic for now switching to a Nicer one after my gear moves out here in Jan
Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center

SugarJ December 5, 2012 08:42 AM

For $20, put the better CPU in. You might need it for gaming.

enaberif December 5, 2012 08:50 AM

Media Center? Should I smack you now or later?

XBMC my friend of which v12 is coming out soon with proper DTS HD support but there is a XBMC v11 now with a HD patch. Nobody uses Media Center anymore.

Soullessone21 December 5, 2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 675619)
Media Center? Should I smack you now or later?

XBMC my friend of which v12 is coming out soon with proper DTS HD support but there is a XBMC v11 now with a HD patch. Nobody uses Media Center anymore.

its not just media, going to use this for my being lazy on the couch gamer to :P and for running all my ROM's with gotta love that Mario Cart 64 :P

enaberif December 5, 2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soullessone21 (Post 675624)
its not just media, going to use this for my being lazy on the couch gamer to :P and for running all my ROM's with gotta love that Mario Cart 64 :P

XBMC can take care of that too :P

N64 roms on a PC is not that great I've tried and its not really worth the hassle :P

Soullessone21 December 5, 2012 09:19 AM

hmmm but I already have the board and ram and everything but the CPU... they were freebees dont want them to go to waste

enaberif December 5, 2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soullessone21 (Post 675629)
hmmm but I already have the board and ram and everything but the CPU... they were freebees dont want them to go to waste

HTPCs are worth their weight in gold. Mine gets use a lot so don't kid yourself. Pickup a cheap $60 bluray drive and you'll have a inexpensive system to watch stuff on.

Soullessone21 December 5, 2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 675630)
HTPCs are worth their weight in gold. Mine gets use a lot so don't kid yourself. Pickup a cheap $60 bluray drive and you'll have a inexpensive system to watch stuff on.

Going to Use the Bluray drive thats been sitting in my server in BC for months doing nothing so even got that angle covered :P

great_big_abyss December 5, 2012 11:09 AM

The HTPC in my house definitely sees the most use. I really should get around to upgrading the old Athlon I to an FM2 system.

Bond007 December 5, 2012 12:40 PM

With your uses I would go to the a10.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 AM.