Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   CPU and MOBO advice for Video Production (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/57947-cpu-mobo-advice-video-production.html)

summak November 18, 2012 06:10 AM

CPU and MOBO advice for Video Production

as the title suggests, I will have to buy a new CPU and a compatible MOBO soon, the rendering times have gone down the ground. took me around an hour to render a MOV file which is the size of 80mb.. :shok:

Anyways, need suggestions for which should I go for?

I am currently looking at the AMD FX 8150, cuz I have read somewhere that we need high number for cores, to be able to do effecient video editing, and will also help in reducing the rendering time.

I also read that Intel i7s are the king of the hills in this process, so now I am confused. I am sure that Intel has awesome performance even though they are expensive. Hence, if someone can tell me which one can I go for.

Budget is of what I can get the AMD FX 8150, so if there is an Intel substitute at the same price range, then please say so.

Thank you

PS: I am using sony vegas home studio
PPS: I am ready to overclock.

Budget is around Rs. 20,000 [$360]

dandelioneater November 18, 2012 08:50 AM

The newer FX-8320 or 8350 chip might be a better choice if its available in your area. Either chips will overclock well and give the best value for encoding.

summak November 18, 2012 09:32 AM

and what about the motherboard, any specifics?? or should i just get any am3+ with a pcie for the GPU

Masteroderus November 18, 2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summak (Post 671662)
and what about the motherboard, any specifics?? or should i just get any am3+ with a pcie for the GPU

How many video cards do you plan to use?

1 card: 970 chipset
2 cards: 990X chipset
3 cards: 990FX chipset

That's basically the difference between chipsets.

Now, pick a manufacturer:

Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Asrock
Sapphire

I recommend ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI boards, but some people like Asrock, and I haven't heard anything really good about sapphire mobos.

My personal fav is Asus, but i have a nforce4 board from gigabyte that still works just great (released oct 2004!).

A decent asus 970 mobo will run you less than 100 bucks. Now that's value.

YoungMan November 18, 2012 06:29 PM

Looks like the FX-8xxx series dominates Intel in their price range. I'm sure you can find an Intel CPU that's better, but it's going to cost way more.
Would help if you mentioned your budget.

Also, I'm not too familiar with Sony Vegas myself, but look into GPU encoding/transcoding. You may not even need a high end processor if you can substitute it with your GPU. As you know, GPUs are essentially really REALLY REALLY fast processors.

Generic User #2 November 18, 2012 08:52 PM

I've actually working on a similiar build, going to be done in a week :D

based on my my research, AMD FX chips (the 4-module ones at least) are around $200+ the best encoders for their price range. after that, Intel wins with the LGA2011 chips at the $600+ range. so, what about the $201-$599 range (all intel BTW)? seems like encoding performance stalls out (especially if value is the primary metric); all you're paying extra for is more well-rounded performance.

all IMO of course. also, I'm just looking at stock performance BTW.

YoungMan November 18, 2012 09:27 PM

With $400, you can invest into something that can help with your work. For example, if you're working with very large files at a time, might want to RAID a few SSDs for the read/write speeds. Like you said, there's no competition above $200.

summak November 18, 2012 10:01 PM

To answer a few questions.
First about the GPU, it seems that the vegas version that i have doesn't have gpu acceleration. So I may have to skip to upgrade the gpu, as my hd5450 will do the trick to support dual monitors.

and for the mobo, i had seen ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2[760g chipset] , since it was one of the cheapest of am3+ mobos, and it was asus, and has a pcie for any future upgrades of GPU[if i upgrade my vegas] and for the 990, there is only the msi and asrock, but I will wait for the asus one to get in stock.

and yea, so did i found that the 2011 i7 is the way to go, only if you have a heavy wallet.

But it seems that the amd will just do the work for us. btw, i read some benchmarks on bit-tech or something of that sorts, and over there it showed that 2500k will perform a little bit better than the 8350.

So yea, no gpu for now, hence need a better cpu to compensate for that.

Finally, i think i forgot to mention, I am ready to OC as well, so yes, if we consider OC into the picture, which one will outperform?

summak November 18, 2012 10:16 PM

also, for the AMD 8350 it will cost me Rs 17,000[$310] which I will get from ebay, not yet available in India :(
where as the AMD 8150 will be around Rs 11,000[$200] which is in stock over here.
intel 3960X is around 62,000[$1,130]
the 2700k/3770k is for 21000 [$380]
the 3570k is 16000 [$290]
and the 2500k is for 13000 [$230 - $240]

yea, the price is really high in comparison to what we can get in the US, but what can I do :P

and as I said earlier, I am ready to get the 8150, thats the most I can pay for, unless I was gonna make a gaming pc which is a totally different case :D

YoungMan November 18, 2012 10:25 PM

If you're making a gaming PC, you wouldn't necessarily be buying a high end processor, but a high end video card instead. ;P