Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2012, 04:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default SO-DIMM Desktop Mobo's...

Ok, I'm going to start by saying that I may not have thought this all the way through since I'm multi-tasking. Now that caveat aside, I'm wondering why we aren't seeing a migration to the SO-DIMM memory format for desktop mobo's, other than the Atom Mini ITX boards with only two slots. Laptop memory is already less expensive than desktop memory since laptops outsell desktops by a wide margin now, and with the smaller footprint I could easily envision 16-slot memory configurations... We could finally push the 192GB Windows memory limit

So, am I on crack here or does this make any sense to you guys?

Old November 5, 2012, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
Ok, I'm going to start by saying that I may not have thought this all the way through since I'm multi-tasking. Now that caveat aside, I'm wondering why we aren't seeing a migration to the SO-DIMM memory format for desktop mobo's, other than the Atom Mini ITX boards with only two slots. Laptop memory is already less expensive than desktop memory since laptops outsell desktops by a wide margin now, and with the smaller footprint I could easily envision 16-slot memory configurations... We could finally push the 192GB Windows memory limit

So, am I on crack here or does this make any sense to you guys?
Memory density. Notice how you very RARELY every find SO-DIMM in sizes larger than 4gb?
Old November 5, 2012, 04:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Actually, I see 8gb SODIMMS all the time now and Kingston just announced 16gb modules... The 8gb ones just passed the price/gb of the 4gb modules this week at Canadian distribution (at least for some of them)

Old November 5, 2012, 04:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The issue is more with the memory controllers. Most are on-chip now (with the CPU) and they simply aren't designed for more than the designated number of slots.

That being said, Intel's "enthusiast" platform, LGA 2011, does offer up to 8 slots for a single CPU. I think this is more than enough. That's 64GB possible at this point in time.
Old November 5, 2012, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Newegg.ca - SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCV-Q-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard Socket G2 Intel QM67 DDR3 1333 SODIMM - Server Motherboards
Newegg.ca - JetWay JNC9B-HM67 Socket G2 (rPGA 988B) Intel HM67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
both nice boards that use laptop ram and CPU's if you say "but its hard to get laptop CPU's" you have never worked for a company that throws out hundreds of laptops I am already starting a collection of i3 2310M's and 2410m's they all look so nice haha
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old November 5, 2012, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't see where the SO-DIMMs are cheaper. Close in price or the same but I just don't see them being cheaper. Also there is much less selection so I don't see why we would want to move to them.

Old November 5, 2012, 05:51 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm, ok, good feedback. I'm wondering if memory timing has something to do with it as well. Memory can be pretty finicky even getting four DIMMs to work together at only 1600, as I found out on my LGA2011 setup, so I can imagine how hard it would be with more. Plus, it's not as though they are going to use ECC like they have on servers since it would defeat the purpose of keeping things inexpensive.

Still, it could be pretty cool. Even cooler would be some type of low-cost mobo with multiple ARM processors and lots of memory slots but now I'm really dreaming... or am I? There was a rumour that Apple was thinking of using multiple ARM processors in their laptops to keep prices down and get out of the Intel strangle-hold... Wouldn't that make Intel take a metaphorical crap in their pin-striped pants?

Old November 5, 2012, 06:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
Memory can be pretty finicky even getting four DIMMs to work together at only 1600, as I found out on my LGA2011 setup
I don't know what you're doing, but my Muskhin Redlines ran perfectly out of the box at 2133MHz on my RIVE.

Actually, I've never had any RAM issues in my life. Only thing I've ever ran into was dead memory which cannot be avoided.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

My Redlines ran great on my RiVE too but the original Corsair Vengeances wouldn't clock past 1600 for anything.

Old November 5, 2012, 06:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I've never really used Corsair RAM, so maybe that's why