Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2012, 06:06 AM
Rookie

Post Changing motherboard NEED HELP!

Hi Guys! I need your help, is there a way to change my motherboard without reformatting my HDD and re-installing my OS?
Old November 3, 2012, 07:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you are switching to the same platform you will not need to reformat. If you are you may or may not. It has gone both ways for me.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Which OS? What are you changing from > to ?
Old November 3, 2012, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No guarantees when changinga board. Always best to reinstall windows with hardware changes.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The collective wisdom here says a motherboard swap in an existing system can be done without reinstalling windows. I went from a 1366 MB / i7-930 to a 1155 MB / i5-something and I had to reinstall windows and my programs. Data was still all there. It wasn't bad but still killed a couple of days. Had to call microsoft too on their automated 1-800 line to get the OS verified as legal. It didn't take too long and was fairly easy, just annoying that I had to do it.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I recently sold my SSD to someone, they requested I installed windows on the SSD before sending it to him. I have an i7 920, Sabertooth X58 & Nvidia 560ti, the buyer had an i5 2500k and some P67 board, and dual 6870s in crossfire. I just installed the base windows, activated it and put all the drivers for the new system on the desktop of the OS. If you're changing the motherboard to the same platform it will likely work out of the box, as long as the bios settings are correct and the same. However if you're upgrading to another platform, or from intel>amd and vice versa it would be best to uninstall all the drivers related to your current motherboard.
Old November 3, 2012, 03:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Probably won't have to reformat. Windows reinstall is actually very common when swapping motherboards, unless the two mobos are very similar.
Old November 21, 2012, 05:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If it's a drastically different board then sysprep is the surefire the way to go. I just did this and it works perfectly. It was Intel to Intel but 1366 x58 to 1155 z77.

Go to your "c:\windows\system32\sysprep\" folder. Double-click on the sysprep application.

Make sure "Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)" is selected, check off "Generalize", select "Shutdown" and click "Ok".

If you get a message stating "A fatal error has occured blah-blah yackety-schmackity etc....." then you'll need to kill the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing" service and run sysprep again. You can get there by typing "services.msc" into the windows programs and files search area at the bottom of the start menu.

Install your new mobo and other stuff. Make sure your HDD is set as the boot drive in the bios.... obviously haha.

Once you boot up it'll seem as though you just did a fresh install of windows. When prompted create a new user account. After that you can select your original account name to log in and delete the new account you just created. Install all your new drivers and you should be good to go.

Edit: From what I've read this method is supposed to remove all hardware ID's from the OS and resets everything so you shouldn't have to call M$ to reactivate Windows. At least I didn't have to.

Last edited by Killswitch; November 21, 2012 at 05:44 PM.

Tags
changing motherboard , motheboard changing , motherboard swapping , swapping motherboard