Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2012, 08:11 AM
Rookie

Default Asus Maximus V Gene vs. Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3

ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS Maximus V GENE

vs

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - G1.Sniper M3 (rev. 1.0)

I am looking at these two boards for my new build and I am really flip flopping between them. The Asus board is a bit better I think. I am not too sure exactly what I should be looking for.
In terms of O/C I will probably do some minor, but no serious serious overclocking.

The big differences where the Maximus is better that I can find are;

1. A better Audio setup, it has 7.1 and SupremeFX III where the G1 has 5.1, still a Creative chip, and "support for Recon3di" Not sure what support means.

2. 2 more USB 3.0 connections at the back via ASMedia Controller.

3. 2 more Sata 6GBps connectors

4. 2 cpu fan headers instead of 1

My big question is that The Maximus Gene will cost an extra $30-$50 depending if what kind of sale I can find, is the superiority of the Gene worth the cost?
Old October 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can probably count on both boards being roughly equal as far a overclocking is concerned. I would lean to the ASUS board. But really why not look at something like the Sabertooth or just a regular ASUS z77 board. Unless you are planning to pop 3 video cards in there I don't think it is worth the premium for those boards over regular ones. It doesn't take much to overclock SB or IB chips so you won't notice any difference with overclocking on these higher boards compared to the 150-200 dollar boards. my 2cents...

edit: Oops was lazy and didnt realize these were matx you were looking at.

In this case, the ASUS is probably the one to buy. As you said it has the better sound chip, and you get canadian RMA centre too. 30-50 bucks is worth it if the board has the features you want and need.

Last edited by dandelioneater; October 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: matx
Old October 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
Top Prospect

I did a mATX build for my boss a few months back and ended up on the Maximus V Gene. It's a nice board and has the usual Asus RoG features in a small package. No complaints here about the layout and it nicely booted up right out of the box.

I can't comment much on the Gigabyte G1.Sniper as I've never used it, but since you mention you are focused on a good overclocking mATX board, it looks like the Asus board has better VRMs - more phases and a much bigger heat sink. IMO, I agree with dandelioneater...it's worth the extra to go for the Asus.
Old October 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
Rookie

Gene It is then.