Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
MVP

If only there was a good miniitx board for am3+....

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old October 23, 2012, 10:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
If only there was a good miniitx board for am3+....
If only there was a good micro-ATX board for AM3+...
Old October 23, 2012, 10:43 PM
Allstar

are there any am3+ mitx?
Old October 23, 2012, 11:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Any word on whether or not you can run 4 sticks of DDR3 1866 on this version like you couldn't on buldozer? Or did that get fixed and I missed it?

Razz
Old October 24, 2012, 03:32 AM
Allstar

Okay...this is going to be stupid, but I will try to explain the difference between 'modules' and hyperthreading:

In a fictional cafeteria, there are two rooms. One is the serving area and the other is the dining area. In the serving area, there is a 'meat bar' and a 'salad bar.' This cafeteria serves customers that eat only meat, only veggies, or both.

The fire code in this city states that because there is not much standing room in front of the 'bars', there may only be one customer in the serving area at a time.

This cafeteria is highly reminiscent of a non-SMT CPU (not a 'module' and not hyperthreaded - think C2D) in that the meat bar resembles a integer ALU and the salad bar represents a FP ALU. The 'standing room' serves as the registers needed to one thread (ala one person).

BIG NEWS! the cafeteria has realized how odd it is to only serve one customer at a time, yet have two serving stations. They've gone through a renovation to increase the amount of standing room to hold up to two customers!

Now, if one customer wants only meat and the other wants only veggies, then the cafeteria can serve TWO customers at the same time. HOWEVER, if both customers want meat or veggies OR one customer wants both, then the throughput is back down to one customer at a time. In the last scenario, the renovations would have gone to waste! :(

AHHH! but another brilliant idea comes around! Since the sales receipts show that meat sales are nearly double that of salad sales, lets just add in another meat bar. Of course, this adds quite a bit of real estate expense. As well, if the cafeteria doesn't end up getting two customers that both want meat at the same time, then the new meat bar sits there being useless, but still taking up space.
Old October 24, 2012, 05:45 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razamatraz View Post
Any word on whether or not you can run 4 sticks of DDR3 1866 on this version like you couldn't on buldozer? Or did that get fixed and I missed it?

Razz
I haven't tried 4 sticks at 1866, but I did notice that the memory overclocking is pretty horrible. I have been unable to raise memory clocks over 2100. Need more time with it but tried, PSC, BBSE and Hyper sticks and none of them could make it much higher than 2050 or so even though they are all able to easily reach those speeds on Llano or Ivybridge.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I can confirm that Piledriver absolutely refuses to boot with the 2400MHz sticks I am using when they are set to their default frequency. Hell, the damn system actually refuses to POST....
Old October 24, 2012, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I can confirm that Piledriver absolutely refuses to boot with the 2400MHz sticks I am using when they are set to their default frequency. Hell, the damn system actually refuses to POST....
is that in one board or a few it won't post?
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old October 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
Won't post on 990FX (ASUS & Gigabyte), that's for sure.

The non-post issue was resolved on the MSI FM2 board with the last beta BIOS.

All Intel boards post perfectly well.
Old October 24, 2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
I haven't tried 4 sticks at 1866, but I did notice that the memory overclocking is pretty horrible. I have been unable to raise memory clocks over 2100. Need more time with it but tried, PSC, BBSE and Hyper sticks and none of them could make it much higher than 2050 or so even though they are all able to easily reach those speeds on Llano or Ivybridge.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
Quote:
Won't post on 990FX (ASUS & Gigabyte), that's for sure.

The non-post issue was resolved on the MSI FM2 board with the last beta BIOS.

All Intel boards post perfectly well.
So then is this just a issue with running 4 moduals over 1600 mhz .... OR running 2 moduals over 1866 mhz? Or even a ram amount in general ?