Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I can honestly say that there might be a light at the end of the tunnel now.

Massive Driver Patch. Better than expected (from me) piledriver performance.

Late to the party, but at least you've dressed well for a change AMD.

-ST
Hopefully the layoffs that are coming don't negate the positive change that is happen now as a result of their work.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
Very impressive overclock but I am confused...

It this an actual eight core cpu or is it really four real cores and four virtual core?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The Bulldozer architecture uses a very different approach. It uses four "modules", each of which contains two x86 processing engines but those don't necessarily equate cores as their resource distribution is quite different. Basically, to answer your question, it is neither but it is both.
Here is my best way to describe it .... think of each "Modual" in the same vein of a car engine:

a regular "core" with nothing else in it ... would be then like a SOHC (single overhead cam) engine

a amd "modual" would be more like a DOHC (dual overhead cam) engine

If I go 1 more further in this ..... Intel's "Cores" "hyperthreading" is a actualy executable extention aka software vs in the case of a amd "modual" what Intels "hyperthread" does is actualy physicaly executed by a hardware/"core" or in the case of my above referenced "cam".

Peaple are welcome to correct me if I am wrong in how I stated/worded the explination.
Old October 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Here is my best way to describe it .... think of each "Modual" in the same vein of a car engine:

a regular "core" with nothing else in it ... would be then like a SOHC (single overhead cam) engine

a amd "modual" would be more like a DOHC (dual overhead cam) engine

If I go 1 more further in this ..... Intel's "Cores" "hyperthreading" is a actualy executable extention aka software vs in the case of a amd "modual" what Intels "hyperthread" does is actualy physicaly executed by a hardware/"core" or in the case of my above referenced "cam".

Peaple are welcome to correct me if I am wrong in how I stated/worded the explination.
Eh, I don't think that analogy works properly (comming from a car guy) as most DOHC designs are much more efficent/better than similar SOHC designs.

That being said most times I just call it physical hyperthreading.

ITs unique if nothing else.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 23, 2012, 03:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
1) Quite a few programs actually. Mediacoder, many versions of LAME, slightly older version of Photoshop, any AutoCAD pre-2011 ,etc.

2) I have a better test. Later this week or early next week, the FX-6300 will be tested against the X6. :)
1) Thanks.
2) Looking forward to it - and yes, please do include the FX 8350 result like it was already requested; that would be of much help.
Old October 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Looks like you could be keeping an all AMD systems for a while then after this eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Nice review as always. Good to see its a step in the right direction. A drop to 22nm and this would be good to go for nearly everyone(put power consumption in check), but pricing seems to help that figure out. Look forward to your follow on review.

Anyone upgrading to this have a 1090t they want to part with cheap to drop in my AM2+ board?
Don't tempt me.
Old October 23, 2012, 04:34 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent review! I was wondering how much if any multithreaded performance difference exists between the Windows 7 and 8 OS?
Old October 23, 2012, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Don't tempt me.
The tempt is there.

My m3a78-em (its a 780g ddr2 based board) already has the latest bios and is ready for a 1090t (its the fastest processor my board will accept and would be a decent bump from my x3 710). That said I am only looking if its a good deal, since I would otherwise just save the money for a cpu/ram/mob upgrade.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 23, 2012, 08:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
The tempt is there.

My m3a78-em (its a 780g ddr2 based board) already has the latest bios and is ready for a 1090t (its the fastest processor my board will accept and would be a decent bump from my x3 710). That said I am only looking if its a good deal, since I would otherwise just save the money for a cpu/ram/mob upgrade.
You take charlie's and I'll try to lay claim to terrybear's
We'll send two 1090's down to Nova Scotia.

Come on terry, you know you wanna upgrade

I am glad to see AMD bring things back up! Hopefully Steamroller will do even better and bring intel some tough competition! I hope they keep the prices reasonable and keep the am3+ - the continuity of motherboard is what originally brought me to AMD. So now I'd love to upgrade from my 965 but don't have the money (so I'd take a used 1090t )
Old October 23, 2012, 09:11 PM
Trial Member

Page 18, top graph has the cpu listed as a 3850 instead of a 8350.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Don't tempt me.
Haha I'm thinking the same thing. However the 1100T would go into our HTPC. Yeah, that would be stupid overkill but that's what enthusiasts do..... right?
Besides, the kids need more power for watching their disney movies. At least that's what I'm telling my wife.