Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
Allstar

I have been sitting on the fence about this release. This looks promising though, Sky what looks like a safe everyday OC on your review sample? if I get a clock for clock bump and an everyday 5Ghz-ish I might have to get my wife to take my wallet away.
Old October 22, 2012, 09:39 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Agreed with the OCing statement! Another AMD generation and another 500Mhz overclock stable suits me just fine.

And yes Sky, i ninja-edited before you posted back
Old October 22, 2012, 09:54 PM

My System Specs

Not as bad as Bulldozer. Still kinda high power consumption. Can't wait till we see G34 variants.

Last edited by lowfat; October 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 10:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Two questions from the dense crowd:
1. Who still uses x87 directly for their computing needs, aside from synth benches of course, in a large mass-usage scenario?
2. How does this processor compare to the Phonom II X6 1090T/1100T line of proc's? - for us that decided to skip the 'dozer. EDIT: Nvm, found other reviews containing this data; very nice improvement.

Last edited by EmptyMellon; October 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, I've been using a 1090T on my 990FX board for almost 11 months. Might be time to upgrade now that it will actually be an upgrade.

Razz
Old October 22, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Soooo basically, on repetitive multithreaded instructions like transcoding and compressing, this thing is a god for the price.

Anything else it's garbage, worse then last generation i5's. dual/quad CPU these things up into a nice cheap render farm though for what, maybe $1500 total? That's not bad at -all-
Old October 22, 2012, 11:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey sky what do you think of Guild Wars 2 as a CPU gaming benchmark? The game is heavily CPU bound and shows great differences in performance with CPU's. A personal story quest could be used to benchmark to keep numbers of players constant. I mostly ask because it seems like a pretty good benchmark to me but I don't see anyone use it so there must be a reason why they don't. However I am interested in Vishera's performance in GW2 because my friend is looking for a build for the game.
Old October 22, 2012, 11:43 PM
Banned

From my reading of all the reviews including sky's (how you went about this review was very impressive sky btw) ... all but 2 have viewed it as a positive product.

The samples seem to oc on average to 4.8-4.9 range ...
It IS a up to 20% improvement over 81xx series cpu's ...
Pushs finaly past the Phenom II X class cpus slightly on stock clocks ...
Can at least go into the i5 range on preformance ...
Gamings improved, but not substantialy like some intel products can be ...

Ultimately .... the question is still then ... ARE the improvements enough to move some of us X6 users that already sit @ 4 ghz on them onto 83xx series? And more so what does that mean for resell on the X6 chips then as well ... Myself I also then ask ... are these gonna be great chips for those of us whom are "mega-taskers" whom also game alot while leaving things running in the background like im's/browsers/voice chat software & ect.
Old October 23, 2012, 05:25 AM
Allstar

I'm very happy of this review, sound like my new PC will be an AMD one with the FX-8350, I found my actual FX-8150 more stable than my i7-2600k when running VMware Workstation, actually I will just replace the FX-8150 with the FX-8350 and I will buy another 990x board to build a server with my FX-8150, my actual build run on a Crosshair V
Old October 23, 2012, 05:35 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I have been sitting on the fence about this release. This looks promising though, Sky what looks like a safe everyday OC on your review sample? if I get a clock for clock bump and an everyday 5Ghz-ish I might have to get my wife to take my wallet away.
ON my chip, 5GHz seems to be 24/7 stable. It has been folding for the last 48 hours @ 5GHz without a single hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
Two questions from the dense crowd:
1. Who still uses x87 directly for their computing needs, aside from synth benches of course, in a large mass-usage scenario?
2. How does this processor compare to the Phonom II X6 1090T/1100T line of proc's? - for us that decided to skip the 'dozer. EDIT: Nvm, found other reviews containing this data; very nice improvement.
1) Quite a few programs actually. Mediacoder, many versions of LAME, slightly older version of Photoshop, any AutoCAD pre-2011 ,etc.

2) I have a better test. Later this week or early next week, the FX-6300 will be tested against the X6. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Hey sky what do you think of Guild Wars 2 as a CPU gaming benchmark? The game is heavily CPU bound and shows great differences in performance with CPU's. A personal story quest could be used to benchmark to keep numbers of players constant. I mostly ask because it seems like a pretty good benchmark to me but I don't see anyone use it so there must be a reason why they don't. However I am interested in Vishera's performance in GW2 because my friend is looking for a build for the game.
I'll look into using it in the future.

Last edited by SKYMTL; October 23, 2012 at 05:50 AM.