Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2012, 04:14 AM
Rookie

Default Sandy Bridge-Extreme MoBo (LGA2011) . . . RampageIV, P9X79 Deluxe, Others?!!?

I am putting together a new build and was all set to go Z77 Ivy Bridge i7 3770K when I decided to check out the X79 Sandy Bridge Extreme possibilities. After much thought and much appreciated help here, I have in fact decided that for my purposes (HD video editing, flight simulator use, multiple monitors and work), the X79 SBE i7 3930K is probably the better way to go.

With that said, I would really appreciate advice on what would be the best MoBo to go with. I was quite looking forward to the Maximus V Extreme for the Z77 IB i7 3770K. For the X79 SBE i7 3930K I at first was thinking about the Asus Rampage IV Extreme . . . but now also considering the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe. I like the built in Thunderbolt and Wifi component that existed in the Maximus V Extreme . . . this does not appear to be integrated into the Rampage IV but at least WiFi does seem to exist in the P9X79 Deluxe. Of course this is not critical as I can always add internal WiFi later myself . . .

I would really appreciate help in choosing the most robust, dependable board for my new computer. Dependability is critial for my work bkz I live on my computer. Which is the newer board with the most useful features for my purposes (HD video editing, flight simulator use, multiple monitors and work that requires working with many multiple large files and all that that entails (ex. uploading/downloading, etc))? Apart from flight simulator work (I am a pilot) I don't do a lot of gaming, but the HD video editing is resource intense and I would like a MoBo that has the most current features and, after the dependability consideration, allows for the greatest practical upgrade flexibility given my needs.

Thank you very much.

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Specs:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_Extreme/#specifications
ASUS P9X79 Deluxe:
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P9X79 DELUXE

Last edited by Questtt3; October 20, 2012 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Link Correction
Old October 20, 2012, 07:05 AM
Rookie

I would have to try some more X79 motherboards to figure this out.

I got the ASRock GB 6/ Extreme - it had the best rating at Newegg.

Not the best judging criteria in the world, but when you read the reviews & the number of problems people are having with other motherboards - including Asus - it's alarming.

I remember a few generations ago, e.g. Intel Core2Quad (2008), before that Opteron (2006), there would be tremendous consensus about the stability of a given motherboard.

Not any more ! - not in a large sample group.

It makes me wonder if the Sandy Bridge Hex Core/ Motherboard with 8 memory slot combination is complex enough (1+ billion transistors on the CPU, similar on the MB) that you enter what scientists call "diminishing returns of marginal complexity".

It makes me wonder if the industry is over-reaching on the hex-cores.

My hex-core crashes mysteriously at least once a week. I would not use it for mission-critical.

If I had the resources, I would set up a test, with a group of 2600K systems, and a group of 3930K/3960X systems, and just let them run 24/7/365 doing complex tasks - peg-the-CPU rendering, maybe some Folding at Home, etc.

I would go with the 2600K if I was starting over on a new build and was planning to run Windows 7 or Linux, and needed mission critical + speed, instead of just extreme speed.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ahem. Let me step in here. My OC'd 3930K has been folding for months on a R4E without one lockup or BSOD. Most problems I've heard about on the ASUS ROG forums trace back to memory compatibility. Stay away from Corsair Vengeance memory with Asus boards.

That being said, if you are not overclocking and are very concerned about mission critical stability, get an Intel motherboard. No glitz, no glamour. It just works.

What would I get personally? I'd recommend the Rampage to anyone. There's cheaper X79 mobo's out there, but none better in my opinion.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:30 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I completely agree with Sugar. I've had a 3930k folding with a pretty high OC on a RIVE since the day it was released and not one problem. I too had problems with the Corsair memory, even though none of the fanboys at NCIX would believe me, but once I switched out to some Mushkin 2133s, all was good.

Old October 20, 2012, 01:05 PM
Rookie

Thanks !

I'm using Crucial memory -
Newegg.com - Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT51264BA1339

It's good to know what the source of the problem probably is.

Sounds like I maybe need to run Memtest.

Is Memtest enough or do I need to buy some new memory ? Speaking of Mushkin, I found this Mushkin Blackline in 2 speeds.

Mushkin 2133
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model 997015

Mushkin 1600
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995

I like Mushkin too, I have some DDR 400 2-2-2-5 in an old 3 GHz P4 system that runs great and which I refuse to sell or de-commission.

Getting back to the MB, I might have gotten the Asus P9X79 Pro, the one Anandtech recommended about a year ago -
AnandTech - Sandy Bridge-E and X79

Seems like a great MB, and I have been using Asus since around 1994.

Last edited by Raviolissimo; October 20, 2012 at 01:14 PM.